Pages: | 1 | 2 |
the lifestyle
Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 12:16PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can anybody tell me about careers with a lot of vacation days? In Europe many people start with a month of vacation. I think that's a good way to live. So do you have any suggestions? I believe doctors can take a lot, but that's a lot of schooling to get to that point. College professors? Teachers? It would seem like these jobs are competitive.
toro
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 12:24PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lot of companies give decent vacation time that can really build over the years.
Also, a lot poeple are too busy to take the time off and wind up losing vacation time.
common
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 12:30PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I worked in IT for a large financial services company and started with 23 days of paid time off. After five years I had a full 30 days a year, plus could carry over five days. Seven weeks of paid vacation is almost on par with France.
>LP+PI&_*F(
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 12:41PM - in reply to common Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are lots of businesses that you can own (convenience store, gas station, lawn mowing/plowing...) that every day is a vacation day if everything goes right and your manager/foreman can handle things. If something goes wrong however, you can never be more than a phone call and 10 minute drive away even on Christmas.
Flagpole
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 1:03PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The last time I worked for a company, we got 25 days off that we could use any way we wanted (vacation or sick time). Then there were 9 Holidays on top of that. Not bad.
Cowboy Bob
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 1:08PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you posting this from one of the Protesting sites? Sounds like part of the free health, no debt and full pay whether you have a job or not.

I was a teacher and had to work 2-3 jobs all year around to make ends meet, especially early on. Don't count on teaching giving all that free time.

Suggestion. Move to Europe, pay 50% taxes, live in some small apartment and get a month off...You'll need that much time to get to see a doctor when you get sick.
>LP+PI&_*F(
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 1:34PM - in reply to Cowboy Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bob,
Did your wife work?
did it
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:13PM - in reply to Cowboy Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Cowboy Bob wrote:

Are you posting this from one of the Protesting sites? Sounds like part of the free health, no debt and full pay whether you have a job or not.

I was a teacher and had to work 2-3 jobs all year around to make ends meet, especially early on. Don't count on teaching giving all that free time.

Suggestion. Move to Europe, pay 50% taxes, live in some small apartment and get a month off...You'll need that much time to get to see a doctor when you get sick.

There's more to life than living in a big house. Europeans get a lot for what they pay for in taxes. In the US, you are just one health disaster away from bankruptcy.
ghost
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:17PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Come to work as a Professor or teacher at the best Engineering University in the Middle East, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (www.kfupm.edu.sa)

We get from 3 - 4 months 'off' per year, made up of 2-3 months in summer (in 2012, for example we finish at the end of May and report back on August 30) during the year we have 3 vacations - each lasting from 9 days (minimum) to 2 weeks in November, February and April.

The location is Dammam/Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia. We are the 'feeder' system for Aramco, the biggest oil company on the planet, who have their base next to ours. Aramco has a couple of running clubs and races are held weekly from September to May.

We are paid for our time off. Salaries are decent around $3800 - $4000 net per month, but if you do overtime, it is paid 200 - 250 Saudi Riyals ($53 - $67 per hour) and I do 10 hours extra overtime per week, bringing salary up to $5800 u.s. per month, net and tax free. We also get free housing, utilities are paid for. Transport allowance and free tickets home to point of origin every year for the major (2-3 month vacation).

We are always looking for well qualified teachers and Professors. M.A. or M.S. preferred, but B.A. acceptable for teaching in the Orientation (Foundation) Year.

Ghost in Saudi,www.kfupm.edu.sa, apply today
delp's charcoal grill
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:20PM - in reply to did it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Big 4 accounting firm. Started with 25 days and that is bumped up to 30 after 5 years. Also 8-10 holidays on top of this a year. Plus you can roll hours sometimes so that you don't have to use vacation.

That being said, it is far from what it sounds like you are looking for. Lots of hours and it's tough to train January-April.
saudi
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:21PM - in reply to ghost Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can you teach there with any BA?
ghost
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:21PM - in reply to ghost Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I forgot to mention - all the 'time off' at KFUPM, is paid, so you get paid your normal salary when you are off.
If you work summer school in July or August or both, you are paid double salary for those months. Some teachers are able to save more than $40,000 per year, which is not bad. Most teachers buy homes for rental in places like the UK, the U.S., Thailand and the Philippines.

In this day and age, there are not many good jobs floating around. Come to the Middle East. We welcome people 50+ with relevant experience.

Ghost in Saudi, www.kfupm.edu.sa, apply today.
Barrack
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:22PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
POTUS
saudi
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:39PM - in reply to ghost Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ghost?
your legs
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:44PM - in reply to Barrack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Plenty of jobs with tons of time off. Work your butt off for 3 months a year in season and you can make more than enough to live the whole year as a commercial fisherman. Or you can work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off with an oil company on the Alaska North Slope.
European Ex-Pat
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:50PM - in reply to did it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

did it wrote:

There's more to life than living in a big house. Europeans get a lot for what they pay for in taxes. In the US, you are just one health disaster away from bankruptcy.

Most countries in western Europe, with the exception of Norway, are nearing bankruptcy. They get a lot of what they pay for in taxes because governments are borrowing money to pay for the current level of services. Please stop posting on this site and any site because you are stupid and the world needs less stupid people and less stupid people posting on web sites.
Ghost of Steinbrenner
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:52PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Teachers - 3 months every summer
Fed Gov't workers - 8 weeks a year
Runningart2004
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 2:59PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
US Army.

I get 30 days a year accrued at 2.5 days a month and rolls over every year. We also get a lot of holidays, many of which are 4 day weekends (specifics depend on your unit). I have a 4 day weekend for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. This 4 day for Columbus Day is more or less a 5 day as we had an "Organizational Day" yesterday......what you might call a Company Picnic in the civilian world.

We have two weeks during the summer and two weeks at Christmas which is designated "block leave"...basically to try to get people to use vacation time. If you don't take leave you end up working half days usually.

Of course the flip side to that is the occasional LONG day or LONG year (well 9 months now) that you may have to serve. Operational tempo varies....you're either very very busy or very very not busy.

Alan
Aquafina
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 3:19PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
State workers get low pay but they try to off set that by giving out lots of vacation and sick time. We get 1 day month vacation that turns into 1.5 @ month after 5 yrs, 2.0 at 10. That's on top of 1 day a month of sick time. Also you get lots of cheesy holidays.
Big City
RE: Careers with the most vacation time? How much vacation do you take? 10/7/2011 3:42PM - in reply to the lifestyle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

the lifestyle wrote:

Can anybody tell me about careers with a lot of vacation days? In Europe many people start with a month of vacation. I think that's a good way to live. So do you have any suggestions? I believe doctors can take a lot, but that's a lot of schooling to get to that point. College professors? Teachers? It would seem like these jobs are competitive.

Department store Santa, work 2 months, 10 months off!
Pages: | 1 | 2 |