Northern Star
Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 1:36AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A few weeks ago, Renato Canova posted the training schedules for Sylvia Kibet, Silas Kiplagat, Imane Merga, and Thomas Longosiwa for the last five weeks before the World Championships, as well as a one-month "hypothetical schedule" for an elite male 10k runner to illustrate why he does not believe in classical microcycles. I have compiled these schedules and formatted them to fit on a one-page calendar. I have also translated the paces of the workouts into relative percents of 1500m/5k/10k PRs for each athlete. Additionally, I've looked over the schedules and posted a detailed analysis on my blog:
http://runningwritings.blogspot.com/2011/09/peaking-with-renato-canova_28.html

I was going to post links to the schedules directly, but the forum thinks I'm a spambot. So if all you want is the schedules, scroll down to the section titled "The Training Schedules."

My blog post is fairly long, but here are the main points:
—The principles behind these schedules allow them to be used by runners from 1500m up to 10000m with only small changes.
—Athletes always practice accelerating and changing speeds throughout their interval workouts
—The schedule contains a fairly even mix of longer repeats and continuous runs to build endurance at 85-95% of race pace, medium repeats to build race-specific "speed endurance" at 95-105% of race pace, and short repeats to build speed at 105-115% of race pace.
—These are often combined into "cut down" style workouts which begin with longer repeats at moderate paces and progress to shorter repeats at successively faster speeds.
—Recovery during workouts is usually generous, as is recovery between workout days
—High intensity workout days like the "special block" require an athlete to be well-rested before and to recover very well after.
—If the "normal" schedule is based off 5k training, a 1500m runner modifies it by doing more short/fast repeats with medium to long recovery and less fast continuous runs; a 10k runner modifies it by doing longer and slower repeats with more total volume at the same intensity relative to 10k pace instead of 5k pace.
—The final workout before the first championship race is always fast, relaxed 200s.
—Athletes "roll with the punches" of travel, long flights, and time-zone changes and don't fret if they have to miss a day of running or change some details about their training program.

The original thread is here:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4213844&page=0

Cheers!
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 4:51AM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the work you put in! Quite interesting that someone else also likes to try around with the numbers. We all want to find the magic formula, don't we?

When I look at Silvia Kibet, first workout, and calculated the paces for me, I was surprised that they are not super fast. In a 3k, 2k, 6x400, 6x400 I would have hammered the 3k more and would have been to tired to do any 400s after the 2k. Maybe that could be one key: don't make the pace too exhausting, but work longer at a fast enough pace.
webby
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 5:47AM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cool. Thanks, John. Thanks, Renato.
Hudson: Part II
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 5:49AM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Northern Star,

Thanks for doing this.

I've been reading a lot of Brad Hudson lately (his book, old Running Times articles, Runnerspace videos, etc.). He's pretty open about his "stealing" of Canova's ideas.

Just wondering what you think of Hudson's work (in comparison to your work on Canova).
DoctorWatts
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 6:20AM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for doing this. A really good read.
mr. toad RIP
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 7:06AM - in reply to DoctorWatts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'll echoe what others have said. Thanks for doing the dirty work.

Suggestion: You say how running nerds often focus on the nitty gritty and that's true. What I would like to see is the global picture as you put it.

Meaning, say hypothetical runner A has a half marathon coming up in 5 months and wants to start a periodized program off an already decent base. This person from reading the schedules would be hard pressed to build a comprehensive plan showing the evolution of mileage/workouts/frequency over a span of 20-24 weeks.

I know that's asking a lot but is this amount of detail possible to assemble as a percentage of race pace and the overall workload Canova prescribes for the 10K runner?
Northern Star
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 3:33PM - in reply to Hudson: Part II Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Hudson: Part II wrote:

Northern Star,

Thanks for doing this.

I've been reading a lot of Brad Hudson lately (his book, old Running Times articles, Runnerspace videos, etc.). He's pretty open about his "stealing" of Canova's ideas.

Just wondering what you think of Hudson's work (in comparison to your work on Canova).

Hmm I actually haven't read much about Brad Hudson's training. I've only seen some stuff about what Dathan Ritzenhein used to do when he ran for him. I know he's big on hill sprints. I've been meaning to pick up Hudson's book,

mr. toad RIP wrote:

I'll echoe what others have said. Thanks for doing the dirty work.

Suggestion: You say how running nerds often focus on the nitty gritty and that's true. What I would like to see is the global picture as you put it.

Meaning, say hypothetical runner A has a half marathon coming up in 5 months and wants to start a periodized program off an already decent base. This person from reading the schedules would be hard pressed to build a comprehensive plan showing the evolution of mileage/workouts/frequency over a span of 20-24 weeks.

I know that's asking a lot but is this amount of detail possible to assemble as a percentage of race pace and the overall workload Canova prescribes for the 10K runner?

Yes you are right, that's the real trick. Canova's approach is pretty complex, and I'll admit that I don't have a full grip on it. I'd love to be able to say "here's a full 6 month training cycle for 1500m/5k/10k/MH/M and here's the purpose of each workout" but I haven't gotten to that point yet. How do workouts evolve over time? Longer, faster, less recovery? How does the balance of endurance, speed endurance, and speed shift over a period of several months? A while back I wrote up an article on the principles that Canova uses in a 6 month training cycle, so that might answer some of your questions. You can read that here:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_zzkn1-wR0dYzkzM2U0ZjctMjE1NC00ZjI4LWI5YTgtMTRhY2NhYjBhZjQz&hl=en

I wish I could see full 5-6 month training schedules for several different runners preparing for the same event. But I can just imagine what kind of undertaking that'd be!
Hudson: Part II
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 10:16PM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Northern Star,

Did you see that Canova is supposed to have a book coming out soon? Check out this: http://www.americandistanceproject.com. If you look on the right hand side of the screen, you'll see a "coming soon" with Canova's book. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!

By the way, I think if you search Running Times for Brad Hudson articles & Hudson's own website, you'll get a pretty good gist of his ideas.
speedster
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 9/30/2011 10:27PM - in reply to Northern Star Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for your contributions. Some very nice documents and summaries you have put together.
Northern Star
RE: Print-outs and analysis of Renato Canova's training schedules before the 2011 World Championships 10/2/2011 10:33PM - in reply to Hudson: Part II Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Hudson: Part II wrote:

Northern Star,

Did you see that Canova is supposed to have a book coming out soon? Check out this: http://www.americandistanceproject.com. If you look on the right hand side of the screen, you'll see a "coming soon" with Canova's book. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!

By the way, I think if you search Running Times for Brad Hudson articles & Hudson's own website, you'll get a pretty good gist of his ideas.

I hadn't seen that yet. Can't wait! It looks like they're trying to get a blog and podcasts set up. I'd love see that happen. Wonder when the book's coming out?