Recovering Runner
Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 9:37AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So I have been coming back from this injury since the summer and have finally started having consistent training. I was wondering if any of you may have had hip bursitis or IT band issues in the past and what you did to prevent it from coming back. I was plagued with bursitis for about 8 months and want to make sure that I can stay injury free.
xlev2
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 10:18AM - in reply to Recovering Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe I had this although my Orthopod disagreed. ITB issues have been my main running problem since I first started running 20+ years ago. What helped me aside from rest was getting gait analysis done and working very hard with the exercises the PT gave me. I went to UVa Endurosport in Charlottesville.
Options, Options, Options
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 10:59AM - in reply to Recovering Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1.) I would look at your training log to figure out why this happened. Too much mileage? Too many workouts?

2.) I would spend A LOT with the foam roller & stretching. The foam roller is great for the IT Band. I think too many young athletes skip over this post-run necessity.

3.) Some people might even suggest going to a PT or chiropractor to make sure your body is aligned. (I know some people frown on chiropractors, but I've had great success with them.)
Hip Bursitis Survivor
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 11:40AM - in reply to Recovering Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had hip bursitis multiple times. Coming back from the injury can be frustrating since you may experience some discomfort for quite a while after runs. I still will have my hip bursa/IT-band flare up every once in a while. What works best to keep the injury from returning is:
1.) Get a deep tissue massage along the IT band and hip. Most of the time trigger points can be found in both areas and relieve most of the pain. I usually take this day off and ice after the massage.
2.) Kinesio tape over the hip and down the IT band.
3.) Strengthening excersises for the IT band and hip. Squats(no weights), lunges(no weights), planks, balancing on one leg.
4.) Foam roll around the Bursa, and ice after running.

Since I have implemented this treatment into my training I have never missed more than a day or 2 to treat my reoccuring bursitis.
xlev2
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 11:48AM - in reply to Hip Bursitis Survivor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agree completely. Balancing on one leg was one of the exercises I did which gave immediate improvement not only in my symptoms but my running as well. It has really helped me hold form when I get tired which was one of major factors in getting injured.
Hipster
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 12:09PM - in reply to xlev2 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I occasionally get buristis flare ups. Complete rest for 10 days with lots of ibuprofen and a slow return to running has always taken care of it.

I sometimes get flare ups from bad shoes, too, that alter my mechanics. If you feel a flare up coming on, review any changes made that might be contributing to a change in your form.
ChubsyUbsy
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 12:15PM - in reply to Hip Bursitis Survivor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree with what HBS has posted. I was told by my ortho that the root cause was tightness in the hip muscles, IT band, etc. That creates pressure on the bursa. The foam roller helped releive that when it was acute.

Another thing that I have added was a yoga pose that was effective in stretching the hips, IT and glutes. The best picture that I could find was # 3 below. Starting out, I had to put a block under my butt since the pose put too much pressure on my IT and knees. I did this pose before and after runs and repeated at night. After a couple of weeks the range of motion in my my hips was much greater and I was able to hold the pose on the floor without the block.

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogasequences/ss/seatedhips_3.htm

I've been doing these things since May of 2010 and have not had any relapse of the bursitis.

Good luck.
xlev2
RE: Recovering/Coming Back from Hip Bursitis 9/16/2011 1:36PM - in reply to ChubsyUbsy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agree that is good. I spend a lot of my workday behind a desk and sometimes cross my foot under my hip to stretch things out. I can notice a difference immediately.