Boner
Pain above achilles and below calf muscle 9/3/2011 9:34AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anyone ever have a soreness or pain above achilles, but below calf muscle. I notice it walking around, but it goes away when I run, until today when it seemed to move up into the upper, outside region of my calf - sort of a sharpness and not sure if this is your typical muscle tightness pain?

Had to walk about 2 miles back from end of my run today...
ttc
RE: Pain above achilles and below calf muscle 9/3/2011 9:53AM - in reply to Boner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I believe you're talking about the soleus muscle. I got this a lot during my runs for a few years. Tried all the stretching, etc.. but to no avail. Finally, I recently took my weight back to my college underclassman days. Instantly, it all stopped.
Boner
RE: Pain above achilles and below calf muscle 9/3/2011 1:21PM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Back of the upper calf - correct? You raise a good point, thanks. I am now running at 185lbs at 48, which is about 35lbs above my college weight. Still pretty lean at 15% body fat, but just much heavier.

Wondering if deep muscle massage would help?
ammagamma
RE: Pain above achilles and below calf muscle 9/3/2011 1:59PM - in reply to Boner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would treat it just like you would any other calf or achilles pain. That stuff is all connected, all part of the same functional structure. Heat before running, ice after, massage, etc.
smanimal
RE: Pain above achilles and below calf muscle 9/3/2011 2:02PM - in reply to Boner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can also try eccentric heel drops for strengthening, as long as they don't make the inflammation worse.