graeme mcdowell
Name the school? 8/30/2011 11:07PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought this list from one good but not great college program was interesting.

Marathon
(26 miles, 385 yards)
1) 2:13:21 Steve Ortiz 1981
2) 2:14:02 Rich Brownsberger 1986
3) 2:18:07 Dan Caprioglio 1983
4) 2:20:31 Willie Ayyad 1983
4) 2:20:31 Jerry Marsh 1983
6) 2:20:54 Ron Cornell 1979
running is better
RE: Name the school? 8/30/2011 11:31PM - in reply to graeme mcdowell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i googled it, so i won't give away the answer.

i was surprised to see a top-10 list for the marathon and equally surprised to see dan caprioglio not on the school's top-10 10k list.
Think about it....
RE: Name the school? 8/30/2011 11:41PM - in reply to graeme mcdowell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
easy one...UCLA under bob larsen who came up from grossmont jc in sand diego where he coached terry cotton and kirk peffer, among others.
Daniel Caprioglio
RE: Name the school? 8/23/2012 8:34AM - in reply to running is better Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

running is better wrote:

i googled it, so i won't give away the answer.

i was surprised to see a top-10 list for the marathon and equally surprised to see dan caprioglio not on the school's top-10 10k list.

I don't know who put this down but thanks but I really don't belong on the all time 10K list. When you think of all the guys that I ran with at UCLA (Dave Daniels, Steve McCormick, Steve Ortiz, Steve Webb, Rick Rose, Jon Butler) not counting the ones after (Like Meb Keflezighi), I'm luck they keep me in the alumni association!!

Cheers,
Dan
hter
RE: Name the school? 8/23/2012 9:49AM - in reply to graeme mcdowell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting. Were all the marathon marks run while the guys were students?
Daniel Caprioglio
RE: Name the school? 8/23/2012 10:46PM - in reply to hter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, they had to be done by the end of their eligibility. By the way, I also forgot a few more like Jerry Marsh and Willie Ayyad. And there are other that I'll probably forget to put down but lots of good runners there. Like the 1988 Olympic Trials Marathon had 4 cross country athletes who were on the UCLA team in 1982 (Matt Ebiner, Steve McCormick, Jerry Marsh, and myself). I still look back at that as being pretty impressive.
Question for LA runners
RE: Name the school? 8/24/2012 7:03AM - in reply to Daniel Caprioglio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Very serious question. Where do college distance guys train in LA? I've been to LA for meets at Mt. Sac, Azusa, Long Beach and Santa Monica, but all I've ever seen is miles of concrete and the city. Just thinking about a college student and team training how much was from the campus itself?
Dan Caprioglio
RE: Name the school? 1/15/2013 10:12PM - in reply to Question for LA runners Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, there is some grass on San Vencite (spelling may be off). Also, running in Bel Air or some of the parts going toward Beverly Hills. You had to be a bit creative and string together some soft stuff but it can be done (with a great coach like Coach Larsen).