Mr Magoooo
Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 4:11PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm looking for a neutral shoe with a lightweight upper and good cushioning (30mm+ in the heel). I do most of my runs in the Brooks Launch so for something that feels about the same but with more cushioning. I run 90-100mpw almost all on concrete so I'm looking for something to give me extra cushioning on my easy runs. I can't tell the difference between the Brooks defyance or ghost since they weigh about the same and have the same sole thickness. Anyone know the deal with these shoes??
dna vs mogo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 4:17PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Both shoes have a 24mm heal and a 12mm toe. The Defyance uses MoGo cushioning where as the Ghost uses their new DNA gel. Defyance is lighter than the Ghost but both are high mileage trainers vs the Launch which is a light weight trainer. I think the Ghost has a softer ride.
Mr Magoooo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 4:24PM - in reply to dna vs mogo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks...by softer ride, do you mean more cushioning? Any idea which holds up more?? they seem to be about the same price.
dna vs mogo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 5:49PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can get about 1000 miles from the Launch. I have both the ghost and defyance and I've have run a 12 miler in each of them. The Ghost is the way to go if you are looking for more cushioning. The Defyance is just a bit firm. Not bad, just not as soft.

FYI. The only difference from the Ghost 3 and the new Ghost 4 is color. You might be able to pick up last years model for less. What ever your size is for the Launch, get the same for the Ghost.
Mr Magoooo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 6:33PM - in reply to dna vs mogo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks, I'll give the ghosts a try..
Mr Magoooo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 6:37PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
oh, and how do you get 1000 from the launches? I just replaced mine at 500 miles. I uppers and sole are still in good shape its just that when I begin to feel flat in my runs and pain in my knees, I usually take it as a sign to replace my shoes.
Casper The Friendly Ghost
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 9:31PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got almost 600 miles out of my ghost 3's. Give them time for the cushioning to wear down a little bit and they are very almost perfect trainers, but they may feel like running on marshmallows at first.
dna vs mogo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 10:14PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 48 and when I started running we didn't have high mileage cushion shoes. Our shoes back then were just plain old racing flats. I grew up on less cushion and have never been able to wear a heavy shoe. I even think the Launch are heavy vs the Kinvara from Saucony. For the record, I race in the Asics Hyper Speed and can get about 400 miles.
yo yo mommy
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/12/2011 10:14PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I run in the Definance. They seem alright, great for turning quickly, plenty of cushioning, kinda rigid shoe, but great handling. nice traction as well.

I ran in the Nike Air Zoom Elites, the orange ones before the Defiance.

There are more comfortable shoes imho.
The man of men
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/14/2011 8:38PM - in reply to yo yo mommy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
get the glycerins
shoes guy
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/14/2011 9:12PM - in reply to Mr Magoooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the defyance is a fairly stiff neutral shoe, the ghost is more flexible than the defyance. the most cushioned neutral shoe from the regular brooks lineup is the glycerin, which has a larger deposit of DNA gel than their other neutral shoes. the defyance, as mentioned above, is firmer, the ghost will be a little softer feeling, and the glycerin is very soft. best thing would be to try both on and see what fits your foot the best.
dna vs mogo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/14/2011 9:15PM - in reply to The man of men Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Zoom elites are a light stability shoe and the defyance and ghost are a neutral shoe. Just can't compare the Nike to the Brooks. I will agree that they are softer due to the Lunar material that Nike uses. Plus they are lighter.

The glycerins will cost you 130.00 and they really aren't worth the extra 30 bucks.
DCtc
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/14/2011 9:32PM - in reply to dna vs mogo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just want to clear something up. BioMogo is what the midsole foam is, both shoes have BioMogo. The cushioning in the current Defyance is Hydroflow and you are correct that the current ghost has DNA.

The ghost is very neutral, while the defyance is still neutral but it's more in the category of stable neutral. Best advice is just what everyone else said and go try both of them on and see which one fits and feels the best on your foot.
Mr Magoooo
RE: Anyone familiar with Brooks defyance or ghost shoes?? 8/14/2011 10:41PM - in reply to DCtc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks for the comments. I ended up going with the ghosts. I tried them both and the defyance were definately more rigid. The ghosts had more flex in the soles.