Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Comanche
Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 6:31PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Would s/he invariably bleed to death?
Off the Grid
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 6:35PM - in reply to Comanche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Only one way to find out...
Comanche
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 6:53PM - in reply to Off the Grid Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is a serious question. I am writing a historical fiction set in the 1840s about the Comanche Indians and white settlers. I want to develop a character (buffalo hunter) who befriends a young Comanche years after suffering as a victim of one of their famous scalping raids.
xxxx
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 6:57PM - in reply to Comanche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
At the Surgeons Quarter historical site in Portage Wisconsin is a picture of a woman who was scalped earlier in her life. I saw it there about 20 years ago.
dean moriarty
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 7:09PM - in reply to Comanche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, people have survived being scalped. Good luck with the book.
American Way
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 7:37PM - in reply to dean moriarty Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes...ironically my anatomy prof was just talking about that a week ago. The scalp isn't very vascular, so bleeding to death would not be an issue. What ultimately killed victims of scalping was infection...bacteria could travel through emissary veins in the skull to reach the internal circulation and cause all of kinds of problem. With today's medicine, however, I'm guessing a scalping victim would be expected to survive. This is all second hand, but hopefully leads you in the right direction!
Honest Lee
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 8:05PM - in reply to American Way Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

American Way wrote:

Yes...ironically my anatomy prof was just talking about that a week ago. The scalp isn't very vascular, so bleeding to death would not be an issue. What ultimately killed victims of scalping was infection...bacteria could travel through emissary veins in the skull to reach the internal circulation and cause all of kinds of problem. With today's medicine, however, I'm guessing a scalping victim would be expected to survive. This is all second hand, but hopefully leads you in the right direction!

Why is that ironic?

Do you mean coincidental?
tjyrth
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 8:12PM - in reply to Honest Lee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
how it tis
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 9:08PM - in reply to Honest Lee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Honest Lee wrote:
Why is that ironic?

No! The man meant ironic and he wrote ironic AND THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS! So just deal with it turkey lips.
Against the I
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/28/2011 9:14PM - in reply to Honest Lee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Honest Lee wrote:

Why is that ironic?

How do you high-horsed a-holes still not realize language evolution has led the word "ironic" to be synonymous with "coincidental?"
Linguistics grad
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/29/2011 8:27PM - in reply to Against the I Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Against the I wrote:

Honest Lee wrote:

Why is that ironic?

How do you high-horsed a-holes still not realize language evolution has led the word "ironic" to be synonymous with ["coincidental"?]

It is certainly true that words' meanings change. "Awful," to take just one example, is now used quite differently from how it was used in Victorian times. I agree that the meaning of "ironic" is in the process of changing, or expanding, to encompass a sense of "coincidental."

It is also the case, however, that there are no true synonyms. Every word carries a weight that distinguishes it, at least a little, from every other word. In the case of "ironic," its use as a synonym of "coincidental" also carries, at least to educated listeners/readers, a sense of "uneducated speaker" or "speaker of non-Standard American English."

I think that situation is likely to change in the next few decades. Just now, however, the case is as stated.
Clowns of the Purple Sage
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 7/29/2011 8:36PM - in reply to Linguistics grad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are far too many arguments on here about the proper use of "ironic." This isn't the first one this week. It just doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8
combat medic
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 1:59PM - in reply to Comanche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The scalp is extremely vascular
Randy Oldman
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 2:15PM - in reply to Comanche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bobbybbbb
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 4:19PM - in reply to Randy Oldman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just got back from the dentist who drilled a little too deep and had to do emergency root canal and a cap, 3000.00, and i can attest to the fact that a person can indeed survive being scalped.

Dentists are the biggest scalpers out there next to the mechanics at auto dealers.
They can drill too deep anytime they want, huh?
John Smith
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 4:41PM - in reply to combat medic Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree. The scalp is very vascular and death would come soon from blood loss.
seriously.....
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 4:44PM - in reply to John Smith Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I paid 3x face value for ACDC tickets...I survived.
David Duke
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 4:44PM - in reply to bobbybbbb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bobbybbbb wrote:

Just got back from the dentist who drilled a little too deep and had to do emergency root canal and a cap, 3000.00, and i can attest to the fact that a person can indeed survive being scalped.

Dentists are the biggest scalpers out there next to the mechanics at auto dealers.
They can drill too deep anytime they want, huh?

Actually one of the funnier things I've read in a long time...2 thumbs up on that one
Oh, the ironing!
RE: Can a person survive being scalped? 8/15/2013 4:49PM - in reply to Against the I Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Against the I wrote:
How do you high-horsed a-holes still not realize language evolution has led the word "ironic" to be synonymous with "coincidental?"

It's like rain on your wedding day.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |