ZeroCoke
Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 10:52AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have quit cold turkey on Coke Zero and any soda. Made it 1 1/2 weeks so far and have experienced hard caffeine withdrawal symptoms.
When, and if so how, will I see any benefits to quitting?

Can I later use caffeine as a race-day legal stimulant? Would it help?
Dick Doobey
RE: Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 11:11AM - in reply to ZeroCoke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good for you. I actually quite Diet Coke a week and a half ago. I was drinking probably close to 100 ounces per day. The first day wasn't bad but after that I had a pretty bad headache for a couple of days. It is gone now and I feel great. I'm also taking a little down time from running, so that might explain it. I wonder how I'll survive when I get back to the miles.

Cold turkey is the only way though. I tried to cut back a bunch of times and failed every time. Runners can have obsessive personalities. All or nothing.
Dictionary
RE: Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 12:16PM - in reply to Dick Doobey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
good for you both! I quite...twice... am now back at it (probably around 5 liters a day)
Tiger_runner
RE: Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 12:31PM - in reply to ZeroCoke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good job! Your in the clear now, I have been clean a month now and running feels a lot better. You don't get dehydrated as much and have a steady stream of energy with no crashes. Tea is a good substitute for the soda. The withdrawal symptoms are the worst I got like a migrane headache when I did.
Dick Doobey
RE: Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 12:59PM - in reply to Dick Doobey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course, I meant quit and not quite.

LOL, it appears there is a little subculture of us trying to kick the habit. Maybe we should start a 'recovering coke-head' support group.
Giddy
RE: Coke Zero and soda - Benefits of Quitting ?Withdrawal 7/27/2011 1:05PM - in reply to Dick Doobey Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was a hardcore Mt. Dew drinker until about a week ago when I watched this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZ2ZqBYlrI

I can't even look at regular soda now without cringing about how much sugar I was taking.

I was drinking a minimum of 3 cans a day, but usually around 4 or 5 and I haven't had a mt. dew in over a week now.

I have been drinking a diet pepsi or diet coke a day just to get my caffeine fix, but for the most part, have been trying to just drink more water (the diet soda seems to dehydrate me terribly)... I'm going to try and ween myself off the diet as well...

In a week, I lost 3 pounds strictly from not having the extra 150 grams of sugar.