Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Mr. Clif
Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:21PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok, so I'm sick and tired of seeing all these neutral trainers designed for heelstrikers and such. They advertise these shoes almost exclusively to heel to toe runners. Are there any neutral shoes out there designed to sustain high mileage and have a forefoot striker's mentality? If not, has anyone found a shoe with good forefoot/midfoot cushioning? What do you fellow forestrikers run in? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about all those minimalistic shoes out there right now, or any barefoot supplements.
Push Alt F4
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:26PM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think you are talking about Newtons.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/

Designed for forefoot but with a trainer look and feel.
ccrunner609
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:30PM - in reply to Push Alt F4 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Newtons???? Give me a f***ing break. Try to sell some shoes before you ask for $100+ for a pair.....whoever is running the marketing for them should be shot.

Asics Gel-platinum, Nimbus have forfoot gel that you can feel.
Kinvara lover
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:37PM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Saucony Kinvara. I absolutely freakin love these shoes. Very light, affordable (search online), and designed for forefoot strikers. So people claim they're not 'responsive' enough (ie. they're soft), but I don't run intervals anymore. I do about 70 miles a week by feel, and they work perfectly for me.

I've found if I ShooGoo the outsole 'hotspots' I can easily get 500 miles out of a pair.
calling bs again
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:57PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
KSwiss Blade Light.
calling bs again
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/18/2011 8:58PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
KSwiss Blade Light.
Trollmang
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/19/2011 12:23AM - in reply to Kinvara lover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I second this. Kinvaras are my first minimalist shoe ever, and I love them. Some recommend transitioning into them slowly, but I personally jumped straight into my intervals and speedwork and I'm doing fine. Normally my legs tighten up during my cooldowns, but in the Kinvaras I feel as if I don't have to worry about that anymore. Very comfortable and lightweight.
Sturz
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/19/2011 2:12PM - in reply to Trollmang Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Asics Speedstars. I've had 3 pairs and put more than 500 miles on each of them. Nice and light, too.
Hello
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/19/2011 2:20PM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Saucony Hattori's (http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-SHATM4.html) or Nike Zoom Streak XC 2.
wi|fredo
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/19/2011 2:27PM - in reply to Hello Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
nike streak 3

1300+ miles per pair
Mr. Clif
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 10:08AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are some of you people stupid, or can you just not read? I said I wasn't talking about a minimal option.
joho
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 10:53AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Serious question as I am not a forefoot striker. If you do strike forefoot does the shoe really make that much of a difference? With less impact by striking on the forefoot do you really need the cushion and does it matter if the shoe is stability, neutral or whatever if you do not heel or midfoot strike?
At wits end
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 10:54AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Altra Instinct is pretty solid and could withstand higher mileage. It is absolutely zero-drop from heel to toe, though, so that might be too much to start out with, especially long runs. It's also wider in the forefoot than most running shoes. I have narrow feet an it isn't too bad, though. http://shop.altrarunning.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_15151_18952_69005_176939

Although I have never run in it, the Nike Lunaracer looks like it could withstand higher mileage and has a low heel-toe ratio. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-NMLR1.html

Although I have the Altra which I want to eventually transition to for a larger percentage of my mileage, I just ordered the Puma Faas 500, which still has perhaps too much heel, but the total profile is lower and the heel-toe ratio is a few millimeters lower than most shoes, which really does make a difference. The Puma Faas 300 and 250 have an even lower heel toe ratio, but may be more towards a racing flat construction if that matters. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-PFAA5M2.html
snarflat
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 11:08AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
RunningWithTheGiants
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 11:19AM - in reply to snarflat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have tried the Newtons. They were a good transition shoe into midfoot/forefoot striking. After I got the form down though (after about a year and a half), I found that I didn't need them anymore...and I could live without the price as well.

I then switched to Nike Lunaracers. They were great shoes. Probably my favorite shoes ever. Very light, real flexible, yet responsive. However, after about 250-300 miles, they started wearing out real quickly. Also, not many stores carry them anymore, as I believe they were discontinued.

Just purchased the Kinvara 2's and Nike Frees. The Kinvaras are very nice shoes, but I still feel like there's too much of a heel on them. The heel-toe drop must be larger than the Lunaracers and the Newtons (virtually no heel-toe drop on those.) I prefer the Frees, but I'm giving them both a shot.
Randy Oldman
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 11:30AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mr. Clif wrote:

Ok, so I'm sick and tired of seeing all these neutral trainers designed for heelstrikers and such. They advertise these shoes almost exclusively to heel to toe runners.

What shoes have you been using? I don't know many heel strikers.
Mr. Gumpox
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 11:42AM - in reply to Mr. Clif Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Kinvara's are light and flexible and "minimal" in that sense, but they are actually very cushioned. There are a lot of shoes that are heavier but less cushioned in the forefoot.
performancerunning
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 1:24PM - in reply to Mr. Gumpox Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
honestly try the lunarglides...im coming back from a stress fracture, forefoot strike, work at a running store and tried on every shoe..lunarglide has the most forefoot cushioning
shoe guy
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 6/22/2011 1:52PM - in reply to performancerunning Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try the Nike Pegasus, Brooks Launch, or the Saucony Ride.
mathias
RE: Best high mileage shoe for forefoot strikers? 7/25/2011 12:23AM - in reply to shoe guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

shoe guy wrote:

Try the Nike Pegasus, Brooks Launch, or the Saucony Ride.

No! These are designed for heal strikers.

Saucony Kinvara is likely what you are looking for. Newtons may work but will be double the price. the Kinvara is not a minimalist shoe, but is designed for forefoot strike. This is the description given on running whearhouse.

How does one classify the Kinvara 2? It weighs less than some racing shoes, yet has enough cushioning for long runs and the daily grind. It has a small, 4mm heel-toe offset to encourage midfoot striking, yet has a very light heel cushioning unit for those who need it. Simply put, the Kinvara 2 is the neutral shoe choice when one seeks natural foot movement in a shoe that works great for any foot-strike, at any distance or any speed.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |