Trail Runner 4 life
Microfracture how long before running? 6/14/2011 4:14PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had microfracture surgery about a month ago. The lesion was small and was the result of a fall in a trail race back in March. At the 2 week follow up the surgeon said I can go to weight bearing as tolerated in 4 weeks. I've been on a bike every day since the day after the surgery. I've also been doing PT twice a week. The PT has given me the go ahead to walk short distances without crutches.

Assuming recovery continues to go well how long do you think I'll be cleared to do any running? 4 months, longer?
Sleeping Bear
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/14/2011 4:40PM - in reply to Trail Runner 4 life Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Trail Runner,
I had microfracture in April 2010. I began very light running in late November 2010. I was able to start using an eliptical a month after surgery and began cycling at the end of May 2010. I was on the eliptical 4-5 days/week and then cycled 3 days/week. My eliptical sessions were 70 min/day and I gauged effort by my heart rate. My cycling ranged from 2 rides of 2 hours/ week and one 4 hour ride. I was "cleared" to begin light running 6 months after surgery, but felt I should give it a bit more time and honestly loving the alternate workouts.
When I began to run, I mixed the running and eliptical/cycling and just gradually increased the running.

I also did the PT thing and continue to do so (the exercises). I am 50 and a little over a year later I am running 50 miles/week with a long run of 13 miles. I can't say that I am totally pain free, but my knee feels a hell of a lot better than it did prior to surgery. Actually, it feels better each week.

Hope that helps.
Trail Runner 4 life
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/14/2011 6:28PM - in reply to Sleeping Bear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The surgeon ordered me to start riding a bike 45 minutes or more daily the day after surgery. He cleared me to ride on the road after two weeks. My longest ride so far was 21 this past Sunday. I've been swimming some too. I'm not sure how much of the pain was due to the bone cartilage injury as I had a tear in the meniscus on the same side of the knee(medial). The MRI didn't reveal the lesion in the articular cartilage. It was an unpleasant surprise.

I have a follow up in two weeks, it will be interesting to see what his recommendation is. He works with a lot of athletes and is a runner/triathlete.

It is encouraging to see Jason Kidd still able to play basketball 7 years after microfracture surgery.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sleeping Bear
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/17/2011 4:07PM - in reply to Trail Runner 4 life Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your procedure sounds very similar to mine. I also had a meniscus tear on the medial side-my lesion was medial as well. You are right when you mention Jason Kidd and others playing basketball, etc after the procedure. As I mentioned before, patience is important. I definately learned that.
Risk of Arthritis
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/17/2011 4:22PM - in reply to Trail Runner 4 life Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You probably shouldn't run at all after a microfracture.
Trail Runner 4 life
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/19/2011 12:45PM - in reply to Risk of Arthritis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Risk of Arthritis wrote:

If the injury was a result of degeneration rather than trauma I might be inclined to agree but it wasn't.
Risk of Arthritis
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/19/2011 12:52PM - in reply to Trail Runner 4 life Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is no such thing as an injury that is the result of degeneration. It's the other way around: degeneration is the result of injury. Running after an injury serious enough to warrant microfracture surgery may be playing with fire.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/19/2011 1:02PM - in reply to Risk of Arthritis Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Risk of Arthritis wrote:

I had microfracture surgery in 2006. Since then I've run as far as 18 miles, raced 4 half marathons, and do about a dozen other races a year. I have no pain in the knee that had the surgery and have no restriction on my range of movement.

Several NBA players have had the surgery and returned to play. Running doesn't place nearly as much stress on your knees as basketball does. If the OP follows his doctor's and PT's advice he should be fine.
Trail Runner 4 life
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/29/2011 7:11PM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a follow up visit today (6 weeks).
He said 3 to 6 months before running. I don't know what determines whether you can start sooner or later since I assume the only way to determine the progress of healing other than putting a scope in the knee. The knee feels fine at this point so I'm hoping that means a shorter than longer recovery time.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 6/29/2011 8:24PM - in reply to Trail Runner 4 life Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As soon as I could walk without a limp I started going out for walks with my dog. Once I got up to walking 2 miles I started throwing in very short jogs. By short I mean about 100 yards. I eventually Gallowalked my way up to 3 miles. After that I cut out the walking and very slowly worked my way back to normal. 7 months after the surgery I raced a Half Marathon.

Be very cautious and come back very slowly. Back off at the slightest hint of pain or if you get any swelling.

Good luck!
Mike in HC
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 7/19/2011 9:21AM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Blowing.Rock Master wrote:

As soon as I could walk without a limp I started going out for walks with my dog. Once I got up to walking 2 miles I started throwing in very short jogs. By short I mean about 100 yards. I eventually Gallowalked my way up to 3 miles. After that I cut out the walking and very slowly worked my way back to normal. 7 months after the surgery I raced a Half Marathon.

Be very cautious and come back very slowly. Back off at the slightest hint of pain or if you get any swelling.

Good luck!

What was the location of the damage? My carilage damage is in the trochlear groove. I am scheduled for mfx surgery in late August. I am hoping that this is a non-weight bearing area and that I will be able to run aain after I heal and do the rehab.
BRG/253
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 7/19/2011 10:39AM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I had microfracture surgery in 2006. Since then I've run as far as 18 miles, raced 4 half marathons, and do about a dozen other races a year. I have no pain in the knee that had the surgery and have no restriction on my range of movement.

Several NBA players have had the surgery and returned to play. Running doesn't place nearly as much stress on your knees as basketball does. If the OP follows his doctor's and PT's advice he should be fine.

You may regret that decision later in life.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 7/19/2011 1:40PM - in reply to Mike in HC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had to look up trochlear groove, turns out it's the area behind the knee cap. That's where my problem was.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 7/19/2011 1:45PM - in reply to BRG/253 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

BRG/253 wrote:
You may regret that decision later in life.

How so? I couldn't run before the surgery. Now I can run completely pain free. Could it happen again that I won't be able to run again 5, 10, or 20 years in the future? Sure it could. And that will put me back where I was before the surgery, except that I was able to extend the time I could run by a decade or more.

Even if the knee gets screwed up again tomorrow, I won't regret it.
Mike in HC
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 9/30/2011 9:36AM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I had to look up trochlear groove, turns out it's the area behind the knee cap. That's where my problem was.

Blowing.Rock Master,

can you tell me what your first 2 months post-op was like? I had the surgery five weeks ago and worry that my surgeon is too aggressive in my rehab. Several onine articles I read said that for patellafemoral area mfx, there should be no weight bearing for around two months to ensure clot heals. My surgeon took me off knee brace and crutches at four weeks and I was weight bearing 9with brace) right away.

If you want, you can email me at novalis15642ATyahoo.com

thanks
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 9/30/2011 11:43AM - in reply to Mike in HC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mike

I don't remember the exact timing. It was at least 4 weeks with the brace and crutches and may have been as many as 6 weeks. I do know I was driving a manual transmission car within 5 days of the surgery, so I was already doing a little partial weight bearing then.

Even after I took the brace off I used one crutch for another week or two, so I wasn't putting my full weight on the leg until about 7-8 weeks.

By 8-9 weeks I was walking a mile around Bass Lake in Blowing Rock. Once I got up to 3 miles walking, I threw in very short slow jogs starting with just 200 meters.

Your doctor may be a little on the aggressive side, but the stuff you read online is probably very conservative. Plus, your doctor knows you're an athlete, and knows your legs are stronger than the average Joe's. He's probably factoring that into the equation. I was actually more aggressive than my doctor. If you think you should be more careful than the doctor suggests, then you probably should be. It won't hurt you to err on the side of caution.

Hope this helps.
Mike in HC
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 9/30/2011 12:54PM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just concerned lately afte I heard my knee click once or twice when bending past 90 degrees. I wasn't exactly expecting that....
I have been doing about 30-45 easy minutes a day on the Schwinn Airdyne and hoped I wasn't doing too much. the doctor isn't real specific as far as PT, just 'let pain and swelling be your guide.'
Anon
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 2/6/2014 9:46AM - in reply to Blowing.Rock Master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any updates on your current status after about 3 years following surgery. Would be very interested.
Bobbsie
RE: Microfracture how long before running? 5/7/2014 10:12AM - in reply to Anon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had arthroscopy and microfracture 9 months ago. My left knee- both Meniscus' were gone and lots of crumbling stuff in the knee.My surgeon was amazed I had been walking, running on that knee.All probably due to bad fall years ago.
At my best was running 30 miles week rec running but knee pain had essentially reduced my running to 1-2 miles 1x week which is when i knew to see MD.
I also am a soccer referee for Jr High,High School age players and was "reffin" several hours each weekend.

Post Op
I did the crutches for 6 weeks total non wt bear, then 3 weeks partial wt bear, CPM machine x 6 weekes.Physiotherapy for 8 weeks or so .
As soon as I could I began water aerobics , walking (including Leslie Sansone's marching in place techniques).,strength train at my club's circuit machines Began Yoga approximately 6 weeks ago.
My doctor first said 6 months,then 12 before running.
My PT suggested trying wee bursts of running

Pain free walking but aches during rainy damp weather with barometric pressure changes

well, my soccer season started and two weeks ago- 9 months post op, I began by Assistant Referee which is side stepping and brief bursts of running straight along touch line on field.

I am having pain back of knee and along lateral edge of knee, probably have inflamed the bursa (sacs) around the knee. Gone back to wearing compression sleeve
But very disappointed- truly gettign discouraged that I will ever be able to "jog" again. Have purchased a bike,like it (relearning how to ride after 30 years!) but it is not the same as jogging. I know not to expect quite what younger runners can achieve (I am 68 years old) but am disappointed when I read people back running afer 4 or 6 months.