Pages: | 1 | 2 |
I'll be the judge of that!
Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:40AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just wondering what people's opinion is on this. My calves keep getting bigger as i increase my mileage. Is it good to have big calves or not. A lot of the top african's have tiny calves but then guys like Solinsky, Cragg and Teg all have massive ones. Which is best- i'd like to hear what you think.

I think this guy has to take the cake though

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/KiCCJCaS0fm/19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+8+Athletics/6t75LXxYIB_/Jeremy+Roff

Can run though.
shitttttttttt
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:45AM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
big quads- small calves

how does he move
haha YO
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:49AM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Teg does not have "massive" calves, what the hell are you smoking?
I'll be the judge of that!
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:54AM - in reply to haha YO Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Solinsky and Cragg rather
Titan
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:56AM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Most of the Americans you mentioned dont have big calves if you see them in person. Im sure you can find photos where they look big, but photos can be deceiving depending of position. Teg and Craig have defined calves but they are set higher than most non elites.

I have seen very few great athletes with big calves. Jordan, Kobe all have small high set calves.

The only really good runner I have seen with proportionally huge calves was Markus Ryfell of Sweeden. I think he ran low 13:00 back in the 80s

Huge calves = not good. Usually indication of no speed
Physical anthropologist
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 10:28AM - in reply to Titan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What about Japanese marathoners, like Seko et al. ?
knot sirious
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 10:48AM - in reply to Physical anthropologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, because Japanese marathoners with big calves absolutely dominate...
Serious Answerer
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 11:04AM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All things being equal, you want less weight farther out on your legs because it takes more energy to move the weight the farther you move it out.

In other words, if you had to wear an extra 2 pound weight somewhere on your leg, it would be best to add the 2 lbs to your quad, worse to add it to your calf, and worst to add it to your foot, because the energy cost is going up as the weight is moving out from the point of rotation at your hip.

That being said, in real life you can't really control where your muscles are and probably can't keep your calves from bulking up if that's how they naturally respond to appropriate training. I wouldn't do bodybuilder exercises just to bulk up my calves, but beyond that, you are the way you are, and I wouldn't worry about it.
Leon
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 11:13AM - in reply to Serious Answerer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Leon Dean of Texas has nice big sexy calves
noVan
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 11:13AM - in reply to Serious Answerer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The size of my calves is one of those things that I cannot do anything about (apart from lifting weights), so I just ignore it and go on with my training.
brogan1
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 11:25AM - in reply to noVan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had large calves my entire life. Even when I was a kid playing age-group football my calves would stick out compared to everybody's string bean calves. When wearing shorts people will often compliment me on my large calves and sometimes the large bulging veins. Guys that are really into weightlifting will ask me what my secret is. It's all genetics though. I don't do anything special for them. They were big before I ever played a sport. At one point I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome and had to have surgery because my feet would fall asleep while running. Not sure if that is related to having large calves or not.

I've always felt that I would have been a much better runner with smaller calves.
humanracing
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 11:27AM - in reply to Serious Answerer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Markus Ryfell:

http://a3.blick.ch/img/gen/P/z/HBPzaNzn_Pxgen_r_900x661.jpg

His calves don't really seem big.
shoe guy
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 2:47PM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your body will naturally find its optimal body type if you're running high mileage. I would just run and not worry about it. My calves tend to get bigger with mileage but i'm also a midfoot/forefoot striker so I gotta have the calves to absorb the impact.
Gina
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 8:03PM - in reply to Titan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Small
agip
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 8:12PM - in reply to Gina Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
photos are misleading - I saw a photo of Lagat once - his calves looked as huge as the dude in your picture.
Large calves
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 9:53PM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am a female with pretty large calves for my size. I am by no means elite, (36:50 10k, 1:24 1/2), however, I have never had problems with shin splints or stress fractures compared to my toothpick teammates. Correlation?
NewRunnnnr
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 10:38PM - in reply to shoe guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah but Ryfell may not have big calves, but it sure looks like he had a big something else.
thunderz
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/19/2011 10:48PM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Big calves work
Really Really?
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/20/2011 4:42AM - in reply to I'll be the judge of that! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I'll be the judge of that! wrote:

Solinsky and Cragg rather

Seriously? Cragg is like the matchstick man compared to Solinsky. Theres about 20lb weight difference between them
henny young man
RE: Big or Small Calves? 5/20/2011 5:03AM - in reply to Titan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pages: | 1 | 2 |