CakeEater
Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 11:45AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A couple weeks ago I ran a marathon in Nike Zoom Streak XC 2s, which I had been training in but hadn't run a marathon in before. The following day, I noticed a dull pain in my foot between the third and fourth toes. I took about a week off after the race, then started running again; the pain has stayed pretty consistent. I don't really notice it while running, but feel it afterward, and the following morning.

I've isolated the pain to the top side of my foot between my third and fourth toes (it hurts to press on it from the top, but not from the bottom, and the toes are not in pain). I've seen posts about metatarsal stress fractures, but I'm assuming this would be in the actual toe. Any ideas what this might be?
niarun
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 11:47AM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
neuroma?
RunForever
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 12:24PM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you're shoes too narrow? I had pain in this area caused by too narrow shoes which aggravated the nerves. Try running barefoot on a grass field and see if you still experience the pain.
listener
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 12:24PM - in reply to niarun Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought I had a neuroma once, and after researching everything I could find, the first and easiest thing to try was to put a pad between the toes, so that it spreads them out. I think they sell these but I didn't feel like spending money on something like that so I would just roll a paper towel into a small cylinder before every run and stick it between my toes. I think I may have also done with during the day when I was not running.

Anyway, after a few days the pain started to subside and eventually went away completely and I haven't need to use the paper towels except for that first week or so. Not sure if that was a neuroma or just some mystery pain, but the spreading of the toes helped.
CakeEater
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 12:37PM - in reply to RunForever Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

RunForever wrote:

Are you're shoes too narrow? I had pain in this area caused by too narrow shoes which aggravated the nerves. Try running barefoot on a grass field and see if you still experience the pain.


That's a good question. The Zoom Streaks are notably narrower than other shoes I run in. You and "listener" seem to be on the same thing, maybe I'm pinching a nerve squishing my toes in like that. I'm going to try the pad between toes (and maybe running more in my wider shoes) and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.
Rationally
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 12:48PM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Get screened for a 3rd or 4th metatarsal stress fracture or stress reaction. Hate to drop that bomb, but you did compete in a marathon and it's a possibility it developed during the race. Depending on the nature of the fracture, you may feel as if the pain is between the toes. [quote]CakeEater wrote:
joho
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/17/2011 1:18PM - in reply to listener Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

listener wrote:

I thought I had a neuroma once, and after researching everything I could find, the first and easiest thing to try was to put a pad between the toes, so that it spreads them out. I think they sell these but I didn't feel like spending money on something like that so I would just roll a paper towel into a small cylinder before every run and stick it between my toes. I think I may have also done with during the day when I was not running.

Anyway, after a few days the pain started to subside and eventually went away completely and I haven't need to use the paper towels except for that first week or so. Not sure if that was a neuroma or just some mystery pain, but the spreading of the toes helped.


+1 on this. I have had a neuroma in the past and still have pain in that area. I'm not sure they ever really go away but maybe. I do know that spacing out my toes does alleviate the pain. I went to the drugstore in the foot section and bought a pair of gel toe spreaders that are made just for this. They were under $10 I believe. Makes a BIG difference in how my feet feel. Try the home remedy suggested above and if works maybe invest in the gel type.
CakeEater
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/18/2011 11:38AM - in reply to Rationally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ugh, I hope not. But I guess better to be sure than keep running on it blindly. Thanks again for all the ideas.
who cares what it is
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/18/2011 11:43AM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Waste of time to get it "checked out". Just take a couple weeks off and see if it goes away. If not, take a couple more weeks off. It is really just an overuse injury from the marathon and will eventually go away.
Dingler
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/18/2011 11:47AM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

CakeEater wrote:

I've isolated the pain to the top side of my foot between my third and fourth toes


This is the classic spot to get a nueroma (Morton's nueroma). Try and use a pad to support the area, ice and if it gets worse take time off. Be careful, as this can progress to something more serious that may require surgery to fix.
Akanthos
RE: Foot soreness between third and fourth toes 5/18/2011 12:10PM - in reply to CakeEater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You just ran a marathon. It is a stress reaction. Give it some time, a few weeks of over the counter medications. If it persists after 6 weeks then spend some money and get x-rays/scans. Listen to your body. I doubt neuroma.