Dry
How to adapt to Humidity? 5/16/2011 3:27PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am attempting to walk-on to a school in a more topical climate, where tmeratures and humidity are higher then in the northwest where I live. Is there anything I can do now to speed my adaptation to the weather?
subtropical resident
RE: How to adapt to Humidity? 5/16/2011 4:22PM - in reply to Dry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not really, other than maybe running during the warmer times of day. Stay very very hydrated, hydrate during the runs themselves, and prepare to adjust your pace. It's not something that personally, I've ever adapted to. (As in, it always feels tough to run in the heat and humidity.) You learn to deal with it, though, and eventually you'll love how completely "worked" you feel after a long, intense workout in the heat and humidity.
Precious Roy
RE: How to adapt to Humidity? 5/16/2011 4:34PM - in reply to subtropical resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When you get to school, spend as much time as you can outdoors. Study outside, eat outside, socialize outside, do your strength training/stretching etc. outside. The more you are in the humidity and less time you spend in the AC, the more you will get used to it.

If you are a heavy sweater, you may need to work with a nutritionist to make sure you are able to keep your electrolytes up and don't end up curled in a fetal position from cramping at the end of every workout.

Most importantly, just keep at it. After a year or two, you will fully acclimate and will find the humidity to be like training at altitude. When you head north for competition in cool and dry places, you will feel like superman.
Dry
RE: How to adapt to Humidity? 5/16/2011 7:25PM - in reply to subtropical resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A friend of mine has a sauna. Would using it frequently provide any benefit?