dukes
Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 1:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Blehhhh

So I ran a had a great race (1/2 marathon) this morning and pushed myself really hard. My stomach felt kinda upset after but while waiting around for awards I did manage to eat a little bit. Water still seemed bad at that point but I figured it would go away. During the drive home I was hit with horrible diarrhea and since being home I have been crapping constantly. I drank a glass of water and it went right through me. I'm also still nauseas. At this point I am running to the bathroom thinking I have to crap and nothing is even coming out anymore.

I have only done one other half and this did not happen. Is this normal? At what point do I become concerned about dehydration? I still feel too sick to drink water. I finished the race over three hours ago now.
P.Whelan
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 1:26PM - in reply to dukes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm gasping for breathe from the laughing

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
agip
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 1:29PM - in reply to dukes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
totally normal for me after long runs. No pun intended.
Neliah2507
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 1:34PM - in reply to dukes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh man...lol. I know how you feel - yes it's "normal" in the sense I think a good amount of people experience this but it's mostly due to fueling/hydration.

I think it's much more common in distances that are 10k and higher - mainly for the reason you are questioning (hydration).

When you are running, your blood flow is directed toward your larger muscles in your legs (and some upper body) that is doing most of the work. So organs like your intestines/bladder/etc are receiving lower amounts of blood flow and oxygen during that time period. The less hydrated you are the more uncomfortable it will be towards the end of the race and DEFINITELY afterwards. Depending upon how dehydrated you are, it could progressively get worse for a few hours before it dies down. When I was in college I use to dread the 10k because if I wasn't careful about what I ate and drank, I would get what I referred to as "10k tummy" and I would be laying in the fetal position in my hotel bed later that night moaning and having cold sweats because it felt like I had to go to the bathroom for the millionth time (but couldn't). Sometimes it would be so bad I couldn't finish my cool down because the onset of cramps would start and I'd have to go to the bathroom. It also made me very light headed. On one extreme instance (after a marathon workout) I actually got sick about 2 hours after my workout. Leading up to that point I had experienced bad stomach cramps/nausea and wasn't really able to go to the bathroom that much. I couldn't really keep water down because my stomach was so sensitive at that point from having no hydration and going a long period of time (1:45mins) with low blood flow during my workout.

It will get better, but I would try to sip on something with a little bit of electrolytes/sodium. See if you can stomach some warm chicken broth and eat some saltenes. That usually ended up helping me in the end. Also, it MIGHT help to apply a little bit of heat at the same time to your lower abdomen (stimulate a bit of bloodflow to the area).
begley chow
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 1:54PM - in reply to dukes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you have celiac disease
lol lol lol lol
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 4:29PM - in reply to begley chow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

begley chow wrote:

you have celiac disease

Possibly. If not, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loperamide is your friend.
galloway says
RE: Crippling Diarrhea After Race 4/16/2011 4:56PM - in reply to lol lol lol lol Reply | Return to Index | Report Post