Katydid8
7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 3:54PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 7-year-old son recently ask to run in a local 5k road race. I took him for a 3-mile training "jog" to ensure he could complete the distance and then signed him up. After forcing him to run slowly the first1.5 miles with me I let him go ahead of me and he completed in 27:32.... Two weeks later he ran a second 5K with me. He left me at the starting line, totally pacing himself and finished in 25:33. Mind you he has not been "training", just the exercise of an activw 7-yr-old at play. Is this a good time for his age. He is excited and living it. I want to encourage him but not pressure him or risk injury. Any advice?
florida oldtimer
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 4:29PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a 10 year old who ran a 21:20 at 8 almost 9. I try not to say anything.... he runs only when he wants. Luckly he plays soccer at a high level which keeps him in shape. Hope some day (the next few years) he runs full time.
All you can do is support him not push him. Good luck
really oldtimer
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 5:07PM - in reply to florida oldtimer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My sons are in their 30s now. They started running and racing with me at about age 7. I checked and my younger son ran a 5K in 22:01 just before he turned 8. They ran in high school and college. They were right around 4:30/1600, 9:45/3200 in high school and 4:00/1500, 9:25/steeple in college. Before high school age we used to run about 60-75 minutes on trails on weekends during the school year and about 4 times/week in the Summer time. They still run regularly and do a half dozen local races per year. I always took the approach with them that if they wanted to go for a run, I was up for it, and if they didn't, that was fine too.
5000m UK
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 5:12PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

DocLove wrote:

For him adoption seems the best option

This has got to be post of the day!
Just another idiot
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 5:13PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If he feels like running, let him run.

If he doesn't, let him be.

He'll probably want to do something else next week.

Time is irrelevant.
jjjjjjjj
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 5:16PM - in reply to Just another idiot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
there was an article in the times that argues there is no harm in letting kids run a lot and in tim noakes, lore of running, it is also stated that there is no harm in letting them run distance.
Chonticha Laopanitcharoen
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 5:27PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He need to wear trainers.
Dr.S
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 6:04PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Brianna Jackucewicz ran 36 minutes for 5 miles on a hilly course at 7 years old. Look at #75 on the link below.

http://www.bestrace.com/results/980503ru5.html

She then ran in the 32's as an 8 year old:
http://www.bestrace.com/results/990502ru5.html

That time is 100% legit. She wound up setting a national age group record and also won the NJ state championship. She runs for Harvard now, but don't have any clue how she is doing there.

Point is, a 7 year old girl was able to average around a 7 minute mile for 5 miles, and she went on to be good, but not a world class athlete (who knows the future though)... So don't get too caught up in times right now.
My SON is the BEST!!
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 6:28PM - in reply to Dr.S Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i have a 7 year old that I had training year round, got him up to 60 miles a week...he ran 17:15 last week in his youth championships..

if your son can't beat mine, you have failed as a parent.

no, jk, seriously, give the kid a break, whatever he runs he runs he just better have had fun
Conundrum
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 6:46PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ignore the posts you have read. Your kid is a gifted runner with great potential.

Naw I'm only kidding. He sounds fast but let him know that you think he is fast without letting him hear you tell others how "gifted he is". Keep it low key at his age. If he thinks he's gifted in running, when he gets to third grade and finds out he coming in third in the mile you don't want him thinking that he failed.
Mr. Battery
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 2/28/2011 10:27PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran my first 5k when i was about 8-10 years old. My mom signed me up and we'd never run one before so we had no idea what was going on. To make a long story short we missed the start, then ran the wrong way, then i turned around and started busting out what seemed really fast to me, I was weaving through the walkers like a maniac. It came out to a 29:14. I don't really know exacty how much time was wasted but I would guess anywhere from 21-24 minutes would be my real time. Your son seems to be pretty good for a 7 year old who doesn't do any running. No world records broken but he sounds like he could run pretty fast if he keeps at it.
pr100
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 3/1/2011 1:33AM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Move to rural Ethiopia with a school about 10km from home... kick him out the door each morning in the general direction of school. Rinse, repeat for 10 years. Wait for the medals to roll in :)
the smartest letsrunner
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 3/1/2011 7:11AM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First of all, these times are wildly inconsistent, which suggests the kid needs more race-pace intervals and tempos.

I'd like to know a 10k time so we can understand his strength, and maybe a 400 just to get a sense for his raw speed (hand timed will do, but FAT is preferable, as you know).

Get back to us with that obvious information and I'll give you a reasonable goal time in the marathon, and write a good schedule to prepare him. London is a bit soon, but maybe we can target Berlin this fall? I'm thinking 80 mpw should be good for this first time out, but we'll need lots of marathon pace work.

In the meantime, take him to the track and have him do 1000s and 1600s once or twice a week. I'd like to see, for example, 6x1000 at his 5k pace, with 1:30 rest or so. Please send a video of this.
plus wunner
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 3/1/2011 12:15PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
+1

DocLove wrote:

For him adoption seems the best option
ggegegegerrrrrr
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 3/1/2011 12:25PM - in reply to plus wunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Under 18 would be really good.
Has he been following his vdot values closely?
Will
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 8/4/2013 9:54AM - in reply to Dr.S Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dr.S wrote:

Brianna Jackucewicz ran 36 minutes for 5 miles on a hilly course at 7 years old. Look at #75 on the link below.

http://www.bestrace.com/results/980503ru5.html

She then ran in the 32's as an 8 year old:
http://www.bestrace.com/results/990502ru5.html

That time is 100% legit. She wound up setting a national age group record and also won the NJ state championship. She runs for Harvard now, but don't have any clue how she is doing there.

Point is, a 7 year old girl was able to average around a 7 minute mile for 5 miles, and she went on to be good, but not a world class athlete (who knows the future though)... So don't get too caught up in times right now.

And even with her 32, Brianna did not win her age group in that race. There was another 8 yr old named Alexandra Szakats ahead of her in 31:50!

Something fishy going on here.
Greg
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 4/16/2014 12:03PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My 8 year old (who is physically smaller than his peers at about 4'3") just recorded 20:50 for a 5k Parkrun in Kent, which is the fastest for that aged group (3rd Grade in US school terms) this year (2014) or last (2013) according to the data.

Each year after that you can shave off 1 minute. So by 11 (5th Grade) the very best boys can run 18/19 minutes. Very occasionally you might see an 11 year old run just under 18 minutes, but that is freakish and I only know of one such person in the UK.

So, I would think any 7 year old who could run sub 22 mins would be a first class runner at his state level and sub 21 minutes would be freakish.

But naturally you have to factor in their growth compared to peers, where they are in the age group (some are 10 months older than others and that makes a small but real difference)
Bitch!
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 4/16/2014 12:22PM - in reply to Greg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Only 21 minutes. You are surely a failed parent. 1st put up the milage 2nd put him in a hypoxic tent 3rd give him Oreganjuice. Once a week rope him behind youre bike and go out for a 4min per k ride. If this doesn't work"? Adoption my friend
mtrain
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 4/20/2014 2:35PM - in reply to Greg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for posting this. I know a fair amount about times for this age group, and this seems like a good summary.
My 7 1/2 year old ran a 21:14 5K road race a few days ago. He is good, but there are two kids in his track club who are one year and two years older and having much more success on the national USATF scene. Also, there is another local kid his age who has run a 21:20 and who is much faster in the mile and 1500. So there is always someone out there who is faster, and often you don't have to look much beyond your own neighborhood to find that person.
Where they are in their age group is a huge factor. My son has a bad birthday for USATF purposes. Another factor is older siblings. My son is no. 3 of 3, and he has been chasing down the older ones for years. That is a huge advantage.
amateur
RE: 7-year-old in 5K's what is a good time? 8/10/2014 7:12PM - in reply to Katydid8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Those are good times for a 7 year old and hopefully he keeps it up. In May of this year my son, who is 7 and I always found him to be unathletic, expressed an interest in running a 5k. He completed it in 27:15 with pretty much no training and since then completed a few more 5k races. He completed his last one with a time of 22:44 and says he will beat the 9 and under world record for 5k which as of today holds at 18:47. He has 2.5 years to do it.

I am not much of a runner so to have a son who has taken such interest in it and is excelling is exciting. Running has changed my son's life and for that I am very grateful to the sport!