Clydesdale805
Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:02AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Stats:

6'2"

210-215 (depending on what I eat for breakfast)

Running between 60-70 mpw

Have not touched weights since I shipped to boot camp (about 5 months ago)

Physically lean

Cannot burn off lean muscle

Can someone point me to a caloric intake calculator so I can start planning my meals better?

I think that in spite of the fact that I currently eat 3 meals a day in a .gov-run mess I make good choices.

Ideally I'd like to slim down to 180 lbs or so, but I guess the first thing to do is get under 200.

Can I fast? And can I run on days where I'm not fasting? More importantly, can I fast tomorrow and do my 20 miler on Sunday?
Clydesdale805
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:05AM - in reply to Clydesdale805 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
P.S. Try to avoid gluten and dairy as much as possible.
Timothy Culpepper
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:10AM - in reply to Clydesdale805 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you don't need to fast. Get a 500 or slightly higher calorie deficit a day. Figure out about how many calories you're burning and aim for 500 less than that.
free beer
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:29AM - in reply to Timothy Culpepper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
get up and do your running in the morning and weights in the evening. Go to bed hungry. Eat your big meal at lunch, light in the evening.

Calorie deficit is what its about. If you're walking around most of the day not a little hungry you are'nt in calorie deficit and won't lost weight.
Sdeddhfjfksk
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 6:16AM - in reply to free beer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can do it. I'm 6'2" and was 235 when I started. Now I weigh under 170 and I'm fairly quick. If you need to burn off some muscle try smelling your clothes after you run. I noticed that burning muscle smells like ammonia. I noticed is mostly after harder runs. Good luck.
gimme a break
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 8:28AM - in reply to Clydesdale805 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
0/10
ukathleticscoach
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 9:51AM - in reply to Clydesdale805 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I doubt you have more muscle than Lynford Christie. He weighed well under 200lbs at his peak and was your height

Why don't you use stones in US? You might as well give weights in ounces
sold2u
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 10:44AM - in reply to Clydesdale805 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you haven't already, cut out the booze. Probably the single best thing you can do to lose weight.
Clydesdale805
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:00PM - in reply to sold2u Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't drink. Quit dipping before I shipped to boot camp.

Used the head this AM and weighed myself: 207 in my skivvies.

For breakfast I had:

1 egg white omelette with mushrooms and tomatoes

1 bowl oatmeal, no butter or syrup

1 small heaping plate of honeydew and cantaloupe

1 cup coffee

1 glass of water.

Gonna eat a healthy albeit hearty lunch.
timmy culpepper
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 12:13PM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

I doubt you have more muscle than Lynford Christie. He weighed well under 200lbs at his peak and was your height

so we don't have to lose 14 lbs for a loss of 1 (stone). Why don't you brits just weigh in average people. Assume the average person weighs 150 lbs. So a loss of 15 lbs would be .1 average people lost. Average people would be a better measurement than your silly stones, what are you doing anyways, weighing rocks?
akrunner
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/12/2011 6:21PM - in reply to timmy culpepper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What worked for me was 850-950 calories a day AND limit running to every other day 45 minutes max. It must be a high protein low carbo diet to not loss muscle mass. Thus the limit on running while being in fat burning. The Take Shape for Life system uses this approach and can be very cost effective. I lost 22 pounds(203 to 181) in four weeks on the program. My half marathon pace was almost 40 seconds faster even though I ran modest miles while on the program.
reverse psychology
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/13/2011 2:19AM - in reply to akrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dude, If you are a running addict and way 215 lbs, maybe you should consider becoming a food addict.
newname
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/13/2011 9:55AM - in reply to ukathleticscoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ukathleticscoach wrote:

Why don't you use pounds or kilos you arrogant prick? I swear it doesn't matter what someone is talking about, you feel the need to tear it down. Where does he say that he has more muscle than Christie? And where does that even come from? How many people have as much muscle AND are as lean as Christie?

In Britain do you get to spell your names tow ways? It's "Linford". Maybe this guy who just asked a good-natured question should use drugs to cut weight like Christie did you dumb twat?
Clydesdale805
RE: Help a 215 lb running addict lose weight 2/14/2011 8:04PM - in reply to newname Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Did 20 miles on a track yesterday.

Did a slow 6 mile recovery run today.

I felt like a sissy because I wanted 10 miles but I'm weary of overtraining.

In general what's a good recovery distance?

While I'm at it here's my last week of training:

M- No run (stood duty)
T-10 miles
W-3 mile warmup/6x800/2 mile cooldown
T-3 mile warmup/5 mile fartlek/1 mile cooldown
F-3 mi warmup/7 mile tempo goal marathon pace/1mile cooldowm
Sat-No Run (stood duty)
Sun- 20 miles on track
Mon-6 slow