Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
weingartner
I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 4:41PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a lot to say about facebook. I got into it my freshman year in college five years ago. As of two days ago, I elected to finally dump it. I sent an e-mail to privacy@facebook.com. I recently got an e-mail saying that the process to permanently delete was underway and will be finished in no more than 14 days.

It was not a tough decision. It was rather an overdue move that was the result of an impulsive decision. I could have left facebook much earlier, as I was aware of the terrible effect it was having on my psyche not long after joining it. But my delay was due to my addiction to facebook. During my time as a member, I wanted to stay aboard in the event I missed something if I left (i.e. an unexpected friend or family member of mine joining facebook). Or an opportunity to post a photo album down the road which may lead to lots of comments and subsequent "fame" amongst the facebook community. The latter motivation seems a bit out there, but is inevitably a factor into why many people seem to stay on facebook. Facebook is, after all, a popularity contest.

I was the type of facebooker that created a status every day or two. I am aware that a healthy medium may have been reached with some thoughtfulness, like many achieve, where use is far more seldom. This method still allows for remaining in contact with friends without the need to be in everyone's faces all the time in their newsfeeds. But, my personality is that - I thrive off of getting peoples' attention. I don't mean this in a bad way. I used to write about many different things which resulted in, mainly, the same types of people responding. I almost felt like I needed to live up to the image I was creating for others to banter with. While I did not lie or embellish my outside life to my facebook friends, I did feel an obligation to the people who kept responding (often family) and those whom I had some meaningful friendship with in the outside world to prolong my communication with them in the event that if I seemed too aloof they'd drop me as a friend. I am not terrified by the prospect of being unfriended, but I am not the type who likes to burn bridges either, especially if it's avoidable.

At the end of the day, these extremely trivial fears caused me to become overwhelmed with friends, friends' lives, and the overall culture that defines facebook. Why did I spend days - weeks - maybe even months of my life on facebook? I really don't think I got anything beneficial out of it. I say the people who "get" facebook use it as merely a supplement to a flourishing social life instead of as a substitute. I have people who I regularly communicate with outside of facebook, so I am not removed from actual social interaction. But it did become a means to shoot the **** to an extent where I became concerned about people and lives that otherwise had no effect on me.

Once again, as a disclaimer, I know there are smarter people than me who know how to use facebook properly. But does anyone else feel detested with the culture of facebook? How it has the power to eat away at your sanity because of people and comments that promote gossip and negativity rather than what they should be promoting? Anyone feel me on this? Part of my dismay may also be the effect of the types of people I'm connected to.
Uh quitter
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 4:49PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had my account deleted about a year ago. It took a week or two before I got over the urge to rejoin, but since then I have not missed it at all. I saw many of the things you mention above, and I decided that it wasn't for me. I don't mind at all other people using it, and, in fact, several in my household use it all the time. To each his own.
ChubsyUbsy
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 4:53PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am fortunate that the people I communicate with on Facebook use it as a "normal" supplement to relationships and other forms of communication.

Let's hope that you don't use this message board as a replacement for your obsession!

You have made a valid and thoughtful post, but if you are the type of person that thrives on getting other people's attention, danger lurks ahead for you here on Let's Run. Use the board with great care. This board may suck you into an abyss from which you may never return.
Vertigo
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 5:18PM - in reply to Uh quitter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's how I deal: I put up a front page only on FB with my pic (so people know it's me), pretty much no other info but a link to my blog. No friending, unfriending, status, blahblah.

It has worked well: more traffic on my blog, a few old friends reconnecting, but I spend ZERO time dealing with networking bullshit.

FB is a perfect place for teenage girls, not grown adults IMO.
bq
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 5:47PM - in reply to Vertigo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Done. Twitter's better.
Really???
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 5:51PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Never ever had it. And never will. Would probably cause problems in future work situations.
geezer23
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 5:57PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What is facebook?
you ll be back
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:04PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got rid of mine. Then a year later I created a new one intending just to add my family. I have some other "friends" on it though now. But I'm happy I'm no longer friends with people from high school and college.
Guppy
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:10PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The people on this thread get way to into things I think. If you don't want stupid people on your facebook, don't add them. If someone posts stupid things, don't read it or don't let it bother you. If you don't want people seeing stupid pics of you or info about you, don't put it on or change your privacy settings.

As for being addicted, I really don't understand that. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I realize people do get addicted, but it's just so different from how I look at and use facebook that I can't understand it. I use facebook to keep in touch with many people I otherwise would not (friends from high school, friends who live across the country, extended family, etc). They're not people I would call to wish Merry Christmas, but they're people who I've enjoyed time with, and through facebook we can still share a few laughs or thoughts from time to time through comments, videos, etc, and this goes for my close friends as well.

For the most part I think the people who think facebook is the antichrist are as silly as the ones playing farmville 3 hours a day. If your life is better without facebook, however, more power to you.
Kerberos
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:12PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a picture of myself on Facebook and some basic information. I've never posted anything - it is strictly a beacon for a long lost love - hoping she's looking for me...been a few years and no signal yet...still waiting.
w.r.m.
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:17PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got rid of mine this past summer (a little over a year after graduating from college). I may possibly get back on it if I end up needing to relocate out of state for work, but at the moment most of the people I used to communicate with the most on facebook are people I see on a regular basis anyways. And even then, I'd rather talk with people on google chat than post messages on someone's facebook wall that everyone can see.
M.C. Confusing
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:20PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Guppy wrote:

The people on this thread get way to into things I think. If you don't want stupid people on your facebook, don't add them. If someone posts stupid things, don't read it or don't let it bother you. If you don't want people seeing stupid pics of you or info about you, don't put it on or change your privacy settings.

As for being addicted, I really don't understand that. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I realize people do get addicted, but it's just so different from how I look at and use facebook that I can't understand it. I use facebook to keep in touch with many people I otherwise would not (friends from high school, friends who live across the country, extended family, etc). They're not people I would call to wish Merry Christmas, but they're people who I've enjoyed time with, and through facebook we can still share a few laughs or thoughts from time to time through comments, videos, etc, and this goes for my close friends as well.

For the most part I think the people who think facebook is the antichrist are as silly as the ones playing farmville 3 hours a day. If your life is better without facebook, however, more power to you.

This is almost what went through my mind, word for word.
Yellowbook
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:27PM - in reply to w.r.m. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good decision op. I deactivated mine two months ago. I realized I didn't give a shit about 95% of my "friends". The select few I actually have a friendship with have my phone number and we call or text. I also think Facebook can only hurt me in future job opportunities.
Yellowbook
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 6:28PM - in reply to w.r.m. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good decision op. I deactivated mine two months ago. I realized I didn't give a shit about 95% of my "friends". The select few I actually have a friendship with have my phone number and we call or text. I also think Facebook can only hurt me in future job opportunities. I also didn't like getting checked up on by people.
Fruitypebbles
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 7:02PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'll probably never delete mine, but I have the control to not let it control me. I only update my status maybe once a month and rarely go out of my way to initiate conversations on it. That being said, I like having it to stay in contact with old friends/teammates/professors. I also almost never watch TV, so this replaces that and acts as my form of visual stimulus in a way. I probably still spend too much time on it, but no more time than I spend running every day! haha.
incognito poster
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 7:17PM - in reply to Fruitypebbles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My understanding is that you can never delete a facebook account, and also that it is run by the fbi or some other nefarious organization.

However you can change your nickname and photo.

Which is what I did, and I never use it.
tiskpak
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 7:18PM - in reply to Fruitypebbles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I never had a facebook. Like I want to get messages from some girlfriend from 4000 years ago??? No thank you. Thats why I moved out of Ur, to get away from all that.

I have powers of mental telepathy, I don't know why I'm even on the internet, for that matter.
laughingostrich
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 7:31PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

weingartner wrote:
Or an opportunity to post a photo album down the road which may lead to lots of comments and subsequent "fame" amongst the facebook community.

Dude, you are a loser.
mimi
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 7:49PM - in reply to weingartner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The only thing I dislike about fb is being tagged in a photo that I would never post myself. So watch out when you pose in front of someone's digital camera.

Otherwise, it's useful to keep up with family members that you wouldn't want to have a phone conversation with, but you get what's going on with them.
yea, but
RE: I got rid of Facebook. When will you? 1/17/2011 8:44PM - in reply to mimi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mimi wrote:

The only thing I dislike about fb is being tagged in a photo that I would never post myself. So watch out when you pose in front of someone's digital camera.

Otherwise, it's useful to keep up with family members that you wouldn't want to have a phone conversation with, but you get what's going on with them.

you know you can untag yourself right? Pretty much what everybody is complaining about can be fixed with facebook. Set your settings to you likes, don't add anybody you don't know, don't read "gossip" if you don't want to, untag pictures you don't like, don't put up any info you don't want your employers to see, etc. It's actually pretty easy.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |