knee brace too tight - lower leg swelling 1/6/2011 7:58PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
so I've been struggling with 'runner's knee' the past few weeks. I guess I had the knee brace on too tight while at work yesterday. By the time I got home last night my entire lower leg was swollen with a deep indention where my sock line was and then another one where the brace was near the knee.

anyone else ever do this? I didn't think much of it but the lower leg swelling is lingering today so it's a little bothersome now.

thanks!
edmd
RE: knee brace too tight - lower leg swelling 1/6/2011 8:29PM - in reply to 1998 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any calf tenderness? Palpable cord? History of recent prolonged travel? On birth control? Family or personal history of heritable coagulapathy such as Factor V deficiency? Any chest pain or uncharacteristic shortness of breath?

Based on the limited info given in your post,deep vein thrombosis is on the differential. This can be fatal if it dislodges. Would recommend going to the ED for ultrasound especially if you answered yes to any of the above ?'s
halkdf
RE: knee brace too tight - lower leg swelling 1/6/2011 8:35PM - in reply to 1998 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
are you icing immediately after runs? I have osgood schlatters and i ice my knees for 15 minutes then 5 minutes off then 15 minutes on after each of my runs.
RE: knee brace too tight - lower leg swelling 1/6/2011 8:44PM - in reply to edmd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
calf tenderness? none
palpable cord?
history of recent prolonged travel? no
birth control? no
family history? no
chest pain and shortness of breath? no

i looked up blood clot/deep vein thrombosis online earlier and it seems rather severe compared to what I have. There is no redness, no warm feeling, not even a pins & needles feeling. In fact, the swelling isn't extremely noticeable unless you know to look for it. But if you know it's there then you can see it for sure.

Tonight I'm noticing that when I prop my legs up for 20 minutes or something then it kind of fixes it for a bit. But then eventually it'll swell up again a bit.

By the way, thanks for the feedback.