javona
Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 10:28AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? A lady I work with has asked me if I want to get WIC but I told her in no way should I qualify. She says that I could. She says she qualifies with a kid as long as they don't report her husband's income. How can you not report your husbands income if he lives with you? I didn't even think that was possible. Is there no system to validate this type of stuff? Will she eventually be caught or should I report it? If so, how do I report anonymously? What type of punishment would she likely get? I wouldn't want for my whistleblowing to ruin her family's life but I don't like to see someone get away with it. It sounds like this type of stuff happens all the time. It makes me angry that my family struggles honestly and dishonest people get away with this.
Mr. Obvious
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 10:32AM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Call your local department of social services and ask to speak to a fraud investigator. Not every department has one on site but they can point you in the right direction. Yes, you can report anonymously. Yes you should do it. This woman is stealing from you and me. Likely she will have to pay back the benefits but will not face much more in the way of punishment.
stp pst
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 10:45AM - in reply to Mr. Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes please report this. We are all paying for it.
Wal-mart and Janet
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 10:55AM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How do I report a terrorist living in my home? My sister makes fun of me all the time and sucks. She steals my candy and pisses on my bed.

I want her to rot in prison down in cuba.
The Real UncleB
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 4:50PM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course.

The America of 2010 is one in which we rat out our poor neighbors to the authories while the rich men steal us blind with our blessing.
no brain
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 5:09PM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
have you talked to her about it first?
being anonymous in a non life threatening situation is being chicken
rolo
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 5:39PM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

javona wrote:

Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? A lady I work with has asked me if I want to get WIC but I told her in no way should I qualify. She says that I could. She says she qualifies with a kid as long as they don't report her husband's income. How can you not report your husbands income if he lives with you? I didn't even think that was possible. Is there no system to validate this type of stuff? Will she eventually be caught or should I report it? If so, how do I report anonymously? What type of punishment would she likely get? I wouldn't want for my whistleblowing to ruin her family's life but I don't like to see someone get away with it. It sounds like this type of stuff happens all the time. It makes me angry that my family struggles honestly and dishonest people get away with this.

What would you really accomplish by reporting her, other than causing harm to her life?

If she's making the effort to get support from a program like WIC, then she probably isn't living like a king. If you family is struggling like you claim, then you could also look for support.

My girlfriend was on WIC when she was pregnant, and even though we weren't married they still considered my income and expenses and we had to provide documentation (pay stubs, power bills, etc). With combined incomes we were making around $60,000 per year, but she still qualified for assistance. We could have survived without it, but I also didn't feel guilty about keeping an extra $70 a month for milk, beans, juice, and vegetables. This enabled us to buy healthier foods during pregnancy, which ultimately helped develop a smarter, healthier, and more productive member of society than without the assistance. You pay for it, so you might as well use it.
redicul
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 5:49PM - in reply to rolo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
60k and you were on government assitence. Thats a bunch of freaking BS. That kind of thing needs to stop.
swofford11
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 5:56PM - in reply to redicul Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

redicul wrote:

60k and you were on government assitence. Thats a bunch of freaking BS. That kind of thing needs to stop.

Combined they were 60k.....This could mean she only made 20k a year.

Until they are married she is considered under the law to be on her own and has every right to government assistance.

I see nothing wrong with this. I would have a major problem if they were married making 60k and taking government assistance.
javona
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/10/2010 7:15PM - in reply to no brain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You're prob right but once I do that, I can't turn her in if she's apathetic. She seems to think everybody does it so why shouldn't she.
ken bob
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/11/2010 12:22AM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
disgrace
polevaultpower
RE: Should I report welfare fraud and if so, how can I do it anonymously? 12/11/2010 1:41AM - in reply to javona Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

javona wrote:How can you not report your husbands income if he lives with you? .

Maybe he has a job that pays him under the table?