The Monk
Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/21/2010 2:55AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To all the dentists,
On Friday I underwent the first stage of having a dental implant; when the screw is inserted. Surprisingly it didn't hurt!
Apart from feeling a little groggy, I haven't had any reaction. Anyway to the point. How long should I wait before recommencing high mileage ?And when the implant is put in will there a risk posed by the impact of running ?
Any advice given will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Owain Lewes.
dentures
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/21/2010 8:53AM - in reply to The Monk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have also had this surgery done in the past...I was told I needed to wait about 1 to 2 weeks, because although my mouth may not hurt, they didn't want my body temp to be elevated for fear that it would pose a risk to my body rejecting the implants. I waited about a week and started running and things have worked.
rolltide
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/21/2010 10:16AM - in reply to dentures Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had this done a couple of years ago...tooth remove and implant place all at once. I was out on the road bike the next day no problems.
The Monk
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/21/2010 11:08PM - in reply to rolltide Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you.
SMJO
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/22/2010 7:50AM - in reply to The Monk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Isn't the latest technology just a one step procedure? There seem to be a number of places that practically guarantee they can fill your mouth with new teeth in an hour.
Penelope Truck Stop
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/22/2010 8:30AM - in reply to SMJO Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No - they first remove remainder of original tooth and, if necessary, will add artificial bone to secure the implant. If lucky, they can install the implant the same time they remove the tooth. Then, you must allow a few months for the implant to become secure in the bone. Next, your dentist will make the crown which may take a few weeks.
Dubious Dave
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 11/22/2010 8:47PM - in reply to The Monk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your 1st mistake was getting a dental implant--don't you know that your body's defense mechanisms fight to reject any foreign objects introduced. Do a Google on the dangers of dental implants and you'll see.
Allison
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 1/2/2011 10:55AM - in reply to Dubious Dave Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The gum is composed of a honeycomb like substance that bonds to titanium. Dental implants are not a mistake, there are far more risks from not getting an implant, namely, tooth decay and permanent movement in the placement of the teeth.
mouthful
RE: Running After Dental Implant Surgery 1/2/2011 12:59PM - in reply to The Monk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had at least 6 or 8 implants over the past 10 years done by a great doc--some were the extraction and the implant same day and some in 2 stages. I was allowed to run the very next day--no restrictions whatsoever and i have had no complications