RuKiddingMe!
McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 4:23PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do you put dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent made of silicone, in your chicken dishes?

How about tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a chemical preservative so deadly that just five grams can kill you?

These are just two of the ingredients in a McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken. The other 50 percent includes corn derivatives, sugars, leavening agents and completely synthetic ingredients.

Organic Authority helpfully transcribed the full ingredients list provided by McDonalds:

"White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary).

Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent."

Chicken McNuggets: "Made With White Meat"... and What Else?
According to McDonald's, their chicken nuggets are "made with white meat, wrapped up in a crisp tempura batter." But as the article above shows, these chicken nuggets are a far cry from what you might expect, based on that description.

About half of it is actual chicken. The rest is a mix of corn-derived fillers and additives (most likely genetically modified), along with a slew of synthetic chemicals, including:

•Dimethyl polysiloxane, a type of silicone with anti-foaming properties used in cosmetics and a variety of other goods like Silly Putty
•Tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a petroleum-based product with antioxidant properties
The latter, TBHQ, is typically listed as an "antioxidant," but it's important to realize it is a SYNTHETIC chemical with antioxidant properties – NOT a natural antioxidant.

The chemical prevents oxidation of fats and oils, thereby extending shelf life of processed foods. It's a commonly used ingredient in processed foods of all kinds, but you can also find it in varnishes, lacquers, pesticide products, as well as cosmetics and perfumes to reduce the evaporation rate and improve stability.
Mr. Obvious
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 4:26PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They also brought the McRib back. I wonder what is in that.

I am so glad I do not eat at McDonalds.
ahnold
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 4:31PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Still are very tasty, esp. with BBQ sauce! Yum!
Sir Stewart Wallace
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 4:43PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Zero percent of coke is actually coke! Oh man!
JimmyTheGreek
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 6:50PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That should come as no surprise. Their burgers contain 0% beef.
Iamanadult
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 6:57PM - in reply to JimmyTheGreek Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Still the best fast food out there!!!
I dont really like Geb
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 6:57PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who cares? It tastes good and I eat it maybe once a month, big f***ing deal.
Dirty Sanchezzz
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 7:57PM - in reply to I dont really like Geb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The 50% that's chicken is actually chicken guts and asshole, not actual meat.

'Mechanically seperated chicken' is chicken that's thrown in whole into a massive grinder. Out comes this pink chicken giblet goo. It's so infested with bacteria that they have to bathe it in ammonia. Afterwards, of course, it tastes like shit, so they have to artificially flavor it. You tell me how real that chicken is?

So, I dare say that the chicken nuggets are less than 50% chicken.
Mrr82
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 8:11PM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

RuKiddingMe! wrote:How about tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a chemical preservative so deadly that just five grams can kill you?

Really it has something in it that can kill you in a different quantity? Do you know how many things we eat and breathe every day that can kill us in certain quantities or concentrations?

TBHQ has been approved by the FDA, and by the EFSA as long as it's in certain concentrations. So don't go eating 500 Chicken nuggets in one sitting and it won't kill you....if you do eat 500 chicken nuggets in one sitting, you're going to die pretty soon anyways.

Should we stop eating Tuna because you can DIE! from mercury if eaten in larger more concentrated quantities?

Should we stop all stop drinking? Alcohol in certain concentrations will kill you!!

I'm not suggesting that TBHG is good for you...i'm just saying you are an idiot who uses scare tactics that aren't factually related to a real situation. Many things can be made to sound horrible for you if stated in the right way.

Will it harm you over time? Maybe...is it a proven fact that chicken nuggets here and there will harm you over time? No. Is it a fact that eating TBHQ in moderation here and there will harm you? No.

If people are eating at Mcdonald's every day, TBHQ is not their biggest concern.

Again i'm not suggesting it's good for you, i'm just saying leave the crap scare tactics at home. Who cares if 5 grams will kill you in one dose.
Ripped Off
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 8:34PM - in reply to Sir Stewart Wallace Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sir Stewart Wallace wrote:
Zero percent of coke is actually coke! Oh man!

What! Do you mean that my dealer is cutting my coke? No wonder my running highs have been lower than usual.
Clean Sanchez
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/8/2010 10:09PM - in reply to Dirty Sanchezzz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dirty Sanchezzz wrote:
...of course, it tastes like shit...

based on your nic you must know what sh*t tastes like.
Me tooo
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/9/2010 6:36AM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This thread contains zero substance
DocLove
RE: McDonalds Chicken McNugget. Only 50 percent of a McNugget is actually chicken 11/9/2010 6:45AM - in reply to RuKiddingMe! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Next you will be telling us the Moon is not made of cheese