high lacer
HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 1:47PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The tendon on the top of my right foot has been bothering me the last few days. I think it's because I might've tied my shoes too tight and I ran on a long, steep downhill and it somehow aggravated the tendon. Can anyone recommend potential treatments? I've been icing and applying arnica, and I remember last time a similar thing happened someone posted a link showing how to tie your shoes so that they don't apply that much pressure on your foot... any help would really be appreciated.
tiedifferently
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 2:26PM - in reply to high lacer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
one very simple solution is to tie the knot directly above the top outside eyelet instead of in the middle - takes a lot of pressure off the center and medial tendons
another idea
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 2:52PM - in reply to high lacer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You should also dorsiflex your foot when you tie your shoes (toe pointed up).
say what polar bear
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 2:59PM - in reply to high lacer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you don't have the link anymore look up "lydiard shoe lacing method" or something. Are you sure its the tendon and not something like a stress fracture? There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the feet.
high lacer
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 6:14PM - in reply to say what polar bear Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Spoke with the trainer today - apparently it's some form of tendonises, there's a small bump on the tendon and it's "creaking". The pain is a lot easier to aggravate now when i dorsiflex my foot. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sub2half
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/11/2010 6:36PM - in reply to high lacer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had this before, all I did was avoid concrete, try to work on midfoot striking instead of heel striking, & ice ~1 or 2 times & the pain went away.
high lacer
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/12/2010 12:42AM - in reply to Sub2half Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump - can definitely make out a large bump on the tendon - anyone else?
RE: HELP - tendon on foot hurts, lacing shoes too tight? 10/12/2010 1:15AM - in reply to high lacer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This happened to me a few times. Extensor tendonitis. Take a few days (1-3) totally off, ice a ton. When you are coming back, start out real easy on a treadmill, preferably in minimal shoes. Try barefoot running too.

The extensor tendons on the tops of your feet are under the most stress when they are working eccentrically to lower your foot from a dorsiflexed position after heelstrike. You definitely injured them running the steep downhill--a downhill slope means more deceleration has to happen upon heelstrike. So, eliminate the heelstrike, eliminate the problem. Barefoot running, and treadmill running (which both reduce the need for the extensor tendons to decelerate your foot slamming down after heelstrike) will let you get back to running speedily. You will probably find faster work (especially in flats, or other shoes with a low heel) less damaging. Also, avoid hard surfaces, as the hardness causes your foot to slam down faster, working the tendons much harder.

Lacing can aggravate the problem. Do "Lydiard lacing," it is great.
Lydiard lacing can help

Anyways, this will heal fast if you let it. Just hit it up with the ice cups 3-5x a day.