Little_Worried
Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:13AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I recently have noticed that while resting my claf muscles both twitch fairly regularly. It is not painful, but looks very strange. Addtionally, I have a lot of tightness in my calves, and think it could be related.

I did recently start more intense training in preparation for an upcoming 10k/half maratho in about a months time.

Im 33/male and run about 75 miles/wk. I run about 33:30 10k, and 1:14 for the HM....if any of that info. helps. Also never noticed this is n the past before.

HELP
Little_Worried
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:16AM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Little_Worried wrote:

claf muscles

Need to spell check.....obviously meant calf muscles
Joseph Heller
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:18AM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If it doesn't hurt, then keep running. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.
Little_Worried
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:25AM - in reply to Joseph Heller Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Joseph Heller wrote:

If it doesn't hurt, then keep running. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

I will keep training, but should I be concerned? Does anyone else get these kind of spasms in their calves? Is the muscle overworked or something?
LOL
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:31AM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The same thing happens to me when I ramp up my training. It seems to go away after a week or two. It has never bothered me or turned into any kind of injury.
leafy greens
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:34AM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
eat dark leafy greens ( spinach / collards, etc )

u might benefit by increasing your magnesium and calcium intake. potassium too.

too much magnesium ( from overzealous use of a magnesium supplement pill ) might relax your muscles too much - be careful or you could end up pooping your pants.
common
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 10:36AM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
99% of the time, nothing to worry about. I started having this symptom in my 20s. Idiopathic fasciculations (twitching muscles for no reason). In my case, my doctor did some simple tests to rule out some neurological problems, and just told me there was nothing to worry about.

My calves have both twitched constantly for over 15 years, much worse after hard workouts, and much less during breaks in training.

Check with your doctor if you're concerned, but what you describe is fairly common, and probably nothing to worry about.
Little_Worried
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 12:22PM - in reply to common Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

common wrote:

99% of the time, nothing to worry about. I started having this symptom in my 20s. Idiopathic fasciculations (twitching muscles for no reason). In my case, my doctor did some simple tests to rule out some neurological problems, and just told me there was nothing to worry about.

My calves have both twitched constantly for over 15 years, much worse after hard workouts, and much less during breaks in training.

Check with your doctor if you're concerned, but what you describe is fairly common, and probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks, that gives me some reassurance. Ill try some dietary changes as well to see if that helps.

The same type of thing happened to me when I had problems with my IT band. After seeing a massage therapist, it began to loosen up, and whhen it did the muscles in my quads and glutes began quivering a little. She said it was normal when a muscle had been tense for a long time and was now beginning to loosen up.....maybe that is the case here?
FoghornLonghorn
RE: Calf Muscles Twitching - do I need to stop running? 10/11/2010 3:02PM - in reply to Little_Worried Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My calf muscles twitch after a marathon, other than that - no.