Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Blubber Bob
Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 1:28PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So inspired by a couple of 45 yr old shirtless muscle heads at my local race this weekend, I've decided to try and get a six pack.

I'm 39 yrs old and I'm giving myself 1 year to do it. I'm about 10-15 lbs over my college age weight and it all seems to have accumulated around my gut.

I still run daily (5 miles), but don't do any long distance, speed work, and only the occasional "fun" race.

So what do I have to do, lose the 15 lbs before I can even start with any ab work? I already have a pretty good diet and hardly eat any junk food, my problem is just quantity. I tend to eat very little for breakfast/lunch and then way overeat at dinner (multiple helpings, etc)
common
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 1:40PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try eating dinner for breakfast, and breakfast in the evening. I'm completely serious. Going to sleep after consuming large amounts of calories is not helpful. Better to flip the pattern.

Start the ab work immediately. The only way you're going to get rid of that fat is to work it off by exercise or reducing calories. You can't eliminate fat in certain areas by doing exercising the muscles in those areas. It's a whole body thing.

Good luck. You can do it.
BTDT
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 2:15PM - in reply to common Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To the OP: you just posted that a couple of 45 year olds have 6 packs. Didnt you just answer your own question?

To common: That is too much of a general statement. I understand what you are saying but if a guy is working out in the evening, he needs those calories. Of course the OP will obviously need to ratchet up training a notch from just 5 miles. Ab work alone will not burn those calories.
too lean
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 2:38PM - in reply to BTDT Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2 routes: workout really hard OR workout less and diet hard.

Obviously, if you start running 100 mile weeks the weight will fall off after a few months. I'm going to assume that is not possible.

First off, don't let your body get too used to anything. Keep changing up, often. For example, don't do any ab routine, etc. for more than 4-6 weeks. Don't go only on easy runs - do intervals, sprints, etc. even if you aren't training for anything.

Start burning calories all day.

Eat 5-6 small meals. You should be hungry every 2-3 hours all day because you never stuff yourself.

Example:

6 am - wake up and run 4-5 miles
7:30 am - eat 2 eggs with toast, drink some coffee
10 am - eat a fresh fruit bowl or some yogurt with granola
12:30 pm - eat a tuna sandwich and some wheat thins
3 pm - drink a fruit smoothie or snack on some mixed vegetables
5:30 pm - hit the gym for 40 minutes or go for another 4-5 mile run ... do at least 20 minutes of core (4 x a week)
7 pm - eat some chicken and rice
9 pm - eat a snack, avoid carbs after dinner

Good luck and get lean.
bloodsport
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:18PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Herschel Walker who is still in incredible shape swears he just eats one meal a day. I heard him on a local radio show last week and he claims to still do 1000 push ups and over 2500 sit ups a day.
too lean
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:28PM - in reply to bloodsport Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lol, the rules have not changed. PS I have better abs than any person on that website.
Blubber Bob
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:41PM - in reply to BTDT Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

BTDT wrote:

To the OP: you just posted that a couple of 45 year olds have 6 packs. Didnt you just answer your own question?

Correct, but they may have looked like that at 25 or 35 and just maintained. They didn't get that look in 1 year after being 15 lbs heavy in the gut (I'm guessing).
Blubber Bob
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:44PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I obviously plan to ratchet up my mileage (and start core workouts).

But regarding mileage, is there any fat-burning benefit to doing all the miles in singles or running twice a day (same distance).

I'm expecting the mileage and weight loss will also improve my running. The abs goal is to think about when making food choices or diet changes.
o.O
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:44PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Buy a BowFlex
ohia
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 3:50PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Running in the morning will help you. After you wake up you are still in fat burning mode, and running will only accelerate that.
biggus dickus
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 4:09PM - in reply to ohia Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Step 1. Work out to create a 6 pack
Step 2. Get lypo so you can actually see the 6 pack
Step 3: Go to bars and drink 6 packs and enjoy your rewards....
not enough vegetables
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 4:13PM - in reply to too lean Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That meal plan doesn't have enough vegetables. Eat at least 3 cups/day.
BTDT
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 6:03PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but if you really are only "15" lbs heavy in the gut, and doing at least already doing some training in the form of running 5 miles per day (meaning a baseline of physical activity and conditioning and not starting from scratch)...it should not take you 1 year to get a 6 pack.

Charlespoliquin.com
Ms. Obvious
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 6:06PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Blubber Bob wrote:I'm 39 yrs old and I'm giving myself 1 year to do it. I'm about 10-15 lbs over my college age weight and it all seems to have accumulated around my gut.

Pics? Please spare us the gut. Face, arms and tush, only. Thanks.
Runningart2004
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 8/31/2010 7:52PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't worry about core work for 6 pack abs. It's all about being lean.

Alan
You're right
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 9/1/2010 9:54AM - in reply to too lean Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey 'too lean', being a too-skinny male runner with a 12 year old girl's body doesn't qualify as having great abs. Technically you're right, the rules haven't changed. A fat burning nutrition plan has always been the same, just not what you think it is. Do a little research before you regurgitate the same old shit you heard from a phyed teacher in junior high. I particularly like your Wheat Thins recommendation. What specific role do they play in your nutrition plan?
BTDT
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 9/1/2010 11:30AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Eating 6 times a day has always been what trainers told people to do but it has the opposite effect. If you want to burn fat this guy tells you how to do it right".

I have seen this work far too well for far too many people. I guess you have stumbled upon something that has worked infintely better than the techniques practiced by numerous coaches, trainers, athletes, bodybuilders, etc., etc. The evidence is there.

I would like to see you refute that practices of coaches such as Charles Poliquin, Paul Chek, Jose Antonio, Mauro DiPasquale...the list will go on and on.... time to quit limiting yourself to single sources....

That crap site you referred to and their "Popular Plan" is not indicative of how actual ELITE and knowledeable coaches typically approach nutritional recommendations/plans. And the guy's recommendations on thenonathletessalloon will not work for an athlete...
fat hasher
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 9/1/2010 12:14PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

BobberBlub wrote:
How about next time you are at your local race, be proud of being a real man with a gut, check out some ladies, and smoke the "abdominal twins".

What really matters is whether you were in front of or behind the "male models".

The 700-odd chapters of the Hash House Harriers are conclusive proof that guys with midsized beer guts can move very fast.
Lardy
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 9/1/2010 12:47PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Being inspired to get a 6 pack at nearly 40 is pretty shallow and smacks of mid-life crisis. Do you have a pony-tail and harbor intentions of buying a red sports car, too?
just another guy
RE: Can I get six pack abs at 40? 9/1/2010 12:53PM - in reply to Blubber Bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I kissed a girl last night!
Pages: | 1 | 2 |