Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Common criminal
NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 8:54PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
NY is bankrupt because fraud like this is commonplace. This guy should be in prison, not running marathons.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/paid_for_no_wheezin_jbt34b3pBFo4vbmWHn1DGO

Despite his pulmonary disability, McLaughlin is a long-distance runner who since his retirement has competed in the New York Marathon, half-marathon races and even grueling triathlons that also include strenuous biking and swimming, sources said.

The "disabled" man places high in local and regional races and frequently wins his age group, running impressive six-minute miles
advocating for the devil
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 9:10PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
At the risk of being too fair to the guy. . . could it be possible his asthma medications artificially aid his running performance? Who knows, maybe he'd be a 2:40 marathoner if he didn't have asthma, and he's hacking and wheezing his way to his performances.
HRE
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 9:31PM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This came up decades ago after Gary Muhrke won the first NYC Marathon while collecting a disability pension as a NYC fireman because of a back problem as I recall. It was reviewed scrupulously and the ruling was that he was indeed unable to perform as a fireman even though he was able to run.
Christie
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 10:52PM - in reply to HRE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have to call bullshit either on your recollection or the "review." There are 100s, if not 1000s, of jobs in the FDNY that don't require any special physical attributes. Do you mean to tell me that he couldn't drive the truck, sit at the firehouse and manning the phone when everyone else was out at a fire, or taught at the Fire Academy? Good for the NY Post for calling this guy out. I'm sick of paying taxes that are used to pay for many illegitimate permanent vacations.
Mrr82
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 11:35PM - in reply to Christie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Christie wrote: Do you mean to tell me that he couldn't drive the truck, sit at the firehouse and manning the phone when everyone else was out at a fire, or taught at the Fire Academy? .

There probably are many positions where you would think he'd avoid it. But i imagine in any position there could come a time where they say, we need an extra guy, and he's there.

Kind of similar to the army, you have non combat positions, but everyone must be deemed ready and fit at all times regardless of whether the position in theory requires the ability to fight. If something bad happens, you can't go...oh...i'm in a non combat position, sorry, find someone else.
Hayduke
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 11:45PM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Landlord charges $1500 a month for a studio in manhattan even though he has been charged with numerous fines and has not paid a single dime that he owes to the city.

concentrate on real crimes d=bag.
deep thinker
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/6/2010 11:57PM - in reply to Hayduke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Hayduke wrote:

Landlord charges $1500 a month for a studio in manhattan even though he has been charged with numerous fines and has not paid a single dime that he owes to the city.

concentrate on real crimes d=bag.

Which landlord?
Hire Civilians
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 12:12AM - in reply to Mrr82 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Then hire civilians for wimp jobs and pay 10%. make the fire retards and police fools work the fires and do patrol. you can get MBAs and Walmart managers to run the police station and fire house.
andro
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 1:13AM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One word: unions.
Super swede
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 1:54AM - in reply to andro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do the millions spent on welfare for completely able bodied workers bother you at all, or are you just picky?
NYPD 911
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 2:15AM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Show some respect. NYPD are heroes of 9-11 and are beyond criticism.
joho
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 9:09AM - in reply to Mrr82 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mrr82 wrote:

Christie wrote: Do you mean to tell me that he couldn't drive the truck, sit at the firehouse and manning the phone when everyone else was out at a fire, or taught at the Fire Academy? .

There probably are many positions where you would think he'd avoid it. But i imagine in any position there could come a time where they say, we need an extra guy, and he's there.

Kind of similar to the army, you have non combat positions, but everyone must be deemed ready and fit at all times regardless of whether the position in theory requires the ability to fight. If something bad happens, you can't go...oh...i'm in a non combat position, sorry, find someone else.

My thoughts exactly. The fire department, I would imagine, has some pretty strict physical standards that must be met to be a fireman. I'm sure there are various physical ailments, disabilities or conditions that would prevent you from being a fireman but not from running marathons.

I know a guy that was discharged from the military due to sleep apnea. That's right, sleep apnea. I do believe he is getting disability also, though only a small percentage of his pay.
yepper
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 9:50AM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As much as I try to be a centrist moderate, this sort of thing has the potential to turn me into a single-issue voter. It makes me beyond furious that government workers do this.

If someone stood up and said he or she would stop this and fight to the political death to do so, I would vote for that guy even if I disagreed on other things.

NYC has this protected government worker class. Something like 99% of LIE workers retire disabled, police park wherever they want with those stupid placards, teachers can't be fired. Infuriating.
Christie
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 9:53AM - in reply to Mrr82 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's bullshit too. There are plenty of military vets who have lost limbs in combat who still are in the military, albeit not in combat positions. There are hundreds of thousands of military positions in the US that never get anywhere battlefields. Someone has to do the recruiting and training.
Ghost of Harry Murphy
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 10:01AM - in reply to HRE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

HRE wrote:

This came up decades ago after Gary Muhrke won the first NYC Marathon while collecting a disability pension as a NYC fireman because of a back problem as I recall. It was reviewed scrupulously and the ruling was that he was indeed unable to perform as a fireman even though he was able to run.

Muhrcke's case was reviewed in a widely publicized situation after Muhrcke won the first Empire State Building Run Up in 1978. As stated, his disability to perform his duties as a fireman was confirmed.
random a hole
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 10:38AM - in reply to Ghost of Harry Murphy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can we now officially end the "all firemen are heroes" crap that started w/ 9/11?
I Heart Iraq
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 10:59AM - in reply to Common criminal Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Surely someone else is completely not bothered by this besides just me.
Striker
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 11:09AM - in reply to I Heart Iraq Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't call me Shirley and, no, you are in the minority.
random a hole
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 11:18AM - in reply to yepper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

yepper wrote:

As much as I try to be a centrist moderate, this sort of thing has the potential to turn me into a single-issue voter. It makes me beyond furious that government workers do this.

If someone stood up and said he or she would stop this and fight to the political death to do so, I would vote for that guy even if I disagreed on other things.

NYC has this protected government worker class. Something like 99% of LIE workers retire disabled, police park wherever they want with those stupid placards, teachers can't be fired. Infuriating.

Greece has made headlines about their outlays to govt employees. Retiring early, govt employees getting 14 monthly paychecks per year, 6 weeks vacation to start...

Don't see how this case is significantly different.
Real Talk
RE: NY fireman steals $86k per year taxfree disability pension while competing in marathons 7/7/2010 11:27AM - in reply to Striker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah I don't really care about this. I do find it funny that you want to lock the guy up, which will cost at least 35k a year (probably more) + the cost of prosecuting him.

I am surprised that his pension's 86,000, though. That seems very high.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |