Pages: | 1 | 2 |
T.L. the stallion
How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 3:06PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah we all know the Americans one's (Ryun,Webb,Liquori,danielson,). but how about highschoolers in russia, france,britain, australia, or have american highschoolers been the only ones?
hkjklfddmmmpi
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 3:23PM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All boys in kenya break 4:00 before turning 16.

fact.
Haha, YO (super cereal)
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 3:29PM - in reply to hkjklfddmmmpi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
4. Duhhh. Where have you been since 2001?
T.L. the stallion
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 3:39PM - in reply to Haha, YO (super cereal) Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Haha, YO (super cereal) wrote:

4. Duhhh. Where have you been since 2001?

I think you need to take a reading comprehension class.
Cahnada
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 4:53PM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think I remember reading that Nate Brannen was the first Canadian to do it.
ESPN Rise
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 4:56PM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Incorrect. Only Jim Ryun and Alan Webb have broken 4 among American high school boys, but Michael Atchoo might do it soon.
The Stache
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 5:06PM - in reply to ESPN Rise Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ESPN Rise wrote:

Incorrect. Only Jim Ryun and Alan Webb have broken 4 among American high school boys, but Michael Atchoo might do it soon.

No, you are incorrect. http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archive/U.S.%20Sub-4s.pdf
Jim Ryun in 1964 for first time
Tim Danielson in 1966
Marty Liquori in 1967
Alan Webb in 2001
Good effort.
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 5:19PM - in reply to ESPN Rise Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ESPN Rise wrote:

7/10
ESPN Rise
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 6:01PM - in reply to Good effort. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks.
T.L. the stallion
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 7:41PM - in reply to ESPN Rise Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
Father
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 7:52PM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can all of Letsrun not name EVEN 1 foreign athlete that broke 4 before graduating high school?

I would imagine the number is not very high, not because of a dearth of talent, but because of a lack of popularity of the mile as a race distance over the past two decades. Imagine how many East African Athletes have been in that shape but never gotten into a mile race, let alone one fast enough. I wouldn't be surprised if fewer Kenyan & Ethiopians had broken 4 prior to graduating high school (or being the equivalent age) than Americans had...
Precisely Watson
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/2/2010 9:24PM - in reply to Father Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How old was Kiprop when he ran the equivalent of a sub-4?
hmmm ok
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 12:16AM - in reply to Father Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Father wrote:

Can all of Letsrun not name EVEN 1 foreign athlete that broke 4 before graduating high school?

Can you name one for us?
Cahnada
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 12:57AM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Uh, read the 5th post in the thread. Nate Brannen did it! Remember, he and Webb had the fastest dorm room in America when they were freshman roommates in 2001-2002 at Michigan.
o.O
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 1:01AM - in reply to Father Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Father wrote:

I would imagine the number is not very high, not because of a dearth of talent, but because of a lack of popularity of the mile as a race distance over the past two decades. Imagine how many East African Athletes have been in that shape but never gotten into a mile race, let alone one fast enough. I wouldn't be surprised if fewer Kenyan & Ethiopians had broken 4 prior to graduating high school (or being the equivalent age) than Americans had...

Most other countries school is structured differently, you can only compare ages.
Michael Faraday
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 6:26AM - in reply to T.L. the stallion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not sure if Ryan Gregson did it or not, but he was certainly capable.

Obviously hundreds of genetically advantaged East Africans could have and did.
reply me
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 6:51AM - in reply to Michael Faraday Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Brennan before going to Michigan with Webb?
reply me
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 6:53AM - in reply to reply me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And Sullivan (??) back in the day?
reply me
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 7:03AM - in reply to reply me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry, didn't read the Brennan post earlier on, but yeah Sullivan did it. 3:59.29. So Brennan wasn't the first Canadian to do it
Mr. Obvious
RE: How many Highschoolers in the whole world have broken 4min. for the mile? 7/3/2010 7:45AM - in reply to reply me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Aren't Canadians a year older when they graduate high school? Not sure but seems I remember reading that.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |