|Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 ||
Getting back to posting pre season predictions now...
1. App - They alway win and have home course advantage.
2. Chatt - Berry and Kirwa will most likely go 1-2 in the individual race.
3. UNCG - Don't really know about their second kenyan. Could potentially win if he's legit.
4. Furman - Didn't have a single senior last year. Also Miller was 5th on their team in xc, but got 4th in the 10k. So team could possibly be higher.
5. Davidson - Lost Lance, Tom, and Thad. But other guys had great tracks season.
6. Elon - Mostly same team as last year. But didn't see to much improvement over track.
7. Western - Unless someone steps up to help Weaver and Clark, they don't stand much of a chance.
8. Samford - Alright track season. Training with Bean should have made them faster...
9. CofC- Yeah, pretty much where they always are.
10. Citadel - Nothing new here either
11. Wofford - It wouldn't truly be a conference meet if Wofford wasn't last.
Contenders for Top 5:
"You guys aren't talking about SCSU aka Southern CT State Univ, right? I heard they have a new coach, former Adams State guy. I expect they are going to get really good and they have some good frosh coming in this fall!!!!"
Name one good freshman coming in.
No we're not talking about this.
this is a SOUTHERN CONFERENCE thread.
sorry for any confusion but please keep to normal socon banter and trash talking.
Chatt had a freshman who finished 5th in the 10K. Vasquez was AWOL in track - injured? Unclear how good their 3-5 guys are, but I think Berry and Kirwa can go 1-2. Between them and UNCG's 2 (or 3?) Kenyans, Appy may not win for the first time in a while...
Kirwa has only one season of xc eligibility left so if he is going to stay for another 2 years at chatt, he either has to redshirt this season or next. will be interesting to see what they do.
if kirwa races, UTC will slay the ASU dragon.
if everybody at UNCG stays healthy they will beat App too.
Wofford takes down the Citadel and maybe CofC this year. The terriers are movin on up.
UTC has a strong top 5 in Kirwa, Berry, Vasquez, McClerty, and Moore (which by the way 3 of them are from Tenn) and a reliable 6 and 7 in Cole and Cotter. BUT injury is a big problem for them. If any of those top 5 go down they are toast, but if not they have a great shot at winning the conference.
I realize that Chatt and UNCG have good talent this year. They both have very solid 1-2 guys and pretty solid supporting casts. But think about whether you REALLY believe that any team can beat App. They always show up for conference. It is at home. They realize that this is going to be a huge strugle. They won't lose. No one has the confidence to beat them.
Last year everyone was all over Davidsons nuts saying that they would take down App. Then conference came along and Davidson was only 1 point ahead of third but like 30 behind App.
App always shows up big to conference AND it's at their home course. I don't care if they lost 4 of their top 5 from last year. They'll continue their win streak.
Also based on this philosophy I pick Kirwa for the individual win again.
|Wofford moving up|
The conference released the preseason coaches polls. App, UNCG, and Chat all got multiple first place votes. I think that's a good indication of the parity at the top this year. App is still the slight favorite, but it will be no cakewalk.
In other news, the Wofford women were ranked 10th out of 12.
|the reel deel|
If anyone thinks that UNCG isn't going to make a serious run at the title they're either kidding themselves, or they're from App. They have two top 5 guys in Koech and Joey, plus their #1 returner from two years ago in Coore, rumor also has it that they're getting another Kenyan, so they honestly could be the team to beat. This year's going to be the toughest for App to defend their title...I hope they're getting ready. Should be a good race in Boone.