warnings from a resident
How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:03AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The background: I'll be starting a new job at the end of the summer(mid to late August) and would like to leave my current job at the end of June (I'd like to get a little time to travel/go to the beach/play some golf). It's a good bump in salary but in the meantime I'd have to eat into savings more than I'd like during the month and a half I'd be off. I've figured out that I need to make ~$1,000 during my time off so that I don't dip into too much of my savings.

Anyone have ideas for part time jobs with flexible hours that wouldn't mind only bringing me on for a month? My current ideas are to check with some of the local running shops (I have experience working in one) or to get a job with one of the local tourist guides/museums (I'm in DC).
Freefall
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:13AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why not just leave your current job later and/or start your next job earlier? That'd probably be a lot easier than trying to line up something for just one month. It's probably not worth it to most employers to do all the paperwork and train you and then have you leave so soon.

I don't know. Maybe look for something with a common high turnover rate, like a restaurant or something. You're in DC, so think about some kind of crap, cookie-cutter casual chain like the Greene Turtle. You could probably make a nice bit of money there if you could get scheduled for a few busy weekends.

Good luck.
warnings from a resident
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:17AM - in reply to Freefall Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well I can't start my new job any earlier and I hate coming to my current job every day. I thought about bars and restaurants but if I'm just starting at one I figure I'd get the bad shifts and not make much money.
Garnisher of Wisdom
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:25AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

warnings from a resident wrote:

I hate coming to my current job every day.

What are you 17 years old? Get with it.
latently homosexual teenager
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:43AM - in reply to Garnisher of Wisdom Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Back alley b******s.
skwilli
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:46AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First, start with $1000...
Rocafella
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 9:57AM - in reply to skwilli Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's an idea I did last summer to earn some extra money. If you have a place to do it (i.e. your own house, not an apartment or something) and the tools already you can build picnic tables. If you like building things it's fun. You can find a plan online pretty easy. I just searched around and you can usually tweak a plan to save money (i.e. use 1 2x12 for the seat instead of 2 2x6's). Anyways we would look in the weekly ads for menards, lowes, etc and find the place with the cheap wood for the week because it varies. Family members eat these things up and many will pay you up front so you don't have to spend your own money. I don't remember exactly but by buying the materials where ever it was on sale I think we would spend around $35-$40 per table and would sell them to family members for $100. We'd sell the to other people for $125. If you were to buy one at lowes or menards it would cost $150 assembled so people would buy ours. Just an idea. Have fun.

P.S. They are fun to build at first but we were doing this in addition to another job at 40 hrs a week so when we had to make a table for someone by a certain day it was nearly as fun and just felt like another regular job.
Flagpole
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:05AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

The background: I'll be starting a new job at the end of the summer(mid to late August) and would like to leave my current job at the end of June (I'd like to get a little time to travel/go to the beach/play some golf). It's a good bump in salary but in the meantime I'd have to eat into savings more than I'd like during the month and a half I'd be off. I've figured out that I need to make ~$1,000 during my time off so that I don't dip into too much of my savings.

Anyone have ideas for part time jobs with flexible hours that wouldn't mind only bringing me on for a month? My current ideas are to check with some of the local running shops (I have experience working in one) or to get a job with one of the local tourist guides/museums (I'm in DC).

This seems odd. You want to take time off to travel and go to the beach and play golf, but yet you want to get a job too? Man, just dip into your savings and enjoy a month off. The increase in salary with the new job will enable you to replace the savings quickly. I'm all for saving and investing, but the golden opportunity of a month off between jobs doesn't happen too often. Also, how is the time between the END of June to the Middle of August a month and a half off? At most it's 4 weeks and perhaps even just 3. ???

If for some reason you really can't do this (don't really have the savings you say you do), then for a very flexible job, answer phones for Pizza Hut. You can make a little money, have mostly evening hours (so that you can still do stuff during the day) and leave with no problem when you need to. I think that's a bad idea though compared to just taking a month off.

Do the month off and have fun...you may never have this opportunity again.
Precious Roy
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:10AM - in reply to Rocafella Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Odd jobs for summer:

Deliver movie reels to movie theaters

Drive an ice cream truck

Pet/house sitting

Work promotions for a marketing company at special events (i.e. hand out samples of Craisins at the local fair)
warnings from a resident
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:20AM - in reply to Flagpole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flagpole wrote:

This seems odd. You want to take time off to travel and go to the beach and play golf, but yet you want to get a job too? Man, just dip into your savings and enjoy a month off. The increase in salary with the new job will enable you to replace the savings quickly. I'm all for saving and investing, but the golden opportunity of a month off between jobs doesn't happen too often. Also, how is the time between the END of June to the Middle of August a month and a half off? At most it's 4 weeks and perhaps even just 3. ???

I know it may be unrealistic but I'm pretty much looking for a job with a very flexible schedule that I can work around doing everything else I want to do but still make a little cash.

Not seeing how you are thinking that the end of June to mid August is less than a month and a half. Its all of July and half of August.
been there, pulled that weed
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:22AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Landscaping. Seriously, there's work out there man. A couple summers ago I pulled weeds/mowed lawns in suburban RI and it was great. You can charge whatever you want (I usually did a sliding scale-- the bigger the house, the more $ I charged) and people eat that up. Lots of people buy houses with or plant these huge, beautiful, elaborate gardens but don't realize how much upkeep they require. They have the money and the desire for a nice lawn and garden, but rarely have the time and/or patience to do it themselves. Just load up your iPod and have at 'er. Don't forget sunblock.
wilfredo
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:33AM - in reply to been there, pulled that weed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Psych studies at local universities. MIT pays $30/hour to get MRIed and answer questions. Check out the Psych lab at JHU or something
oil
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 10:41AM - in reply to wilfredo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Check craigslist for opportunities to get paid cleaning up oil from the recent spill. Maybe you could do it part-time and be around beaches and golf. I believe they pay for lodging and give some food allowances. You also get to do a good thing for the environment.
picture of an oilsoaked bird
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 11:10AM - in reply to oil Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

oil wrote:

Check craigslist for opportunities to get paid cleaning up oil from the recent spill. Maybe you could do it part-time and be around beaches and golf. I believe they pay for lodging and give some food allowances. You also get to do a good thing for the environment.

I hear Exxon is still hiring to clean up after the Valdez boo-boo and Alaska is beautiful this time of year -well if you can avoid the Palin family it is.

7.35 an hour flippin Mickey D`s and saying 'Yo U B wantin fries wid dat homie' and `ho doin ya wanna sipersize yaselfs` might be an option.
Flagpole
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/3/2010 11:39AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Not seeing how you are thinking that the end of June to mid August is less than a month and a half. Its all of July and half of August.

Well, you are right of course. I was typing "June" but for some reason reading and thinking "July". Maybe I should get that checked.
great white hope
RE: How to make $1,000 during the summer? 6/4/2010 11:54AM - in reply to warnings from a resident Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Enjoy your youth and summer when you have the chance. I suggest cutting into your savings if $1000 is all you plan on spending.