torominska
Very Salty Sweat! Do I need higher sodium intake? 6/1/2010 12:09AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I realize this varies from person to person, but my sweat is very salty. Today, after an hour run, I could scrap chunks off my cheeks.

Does this mean I'm eating too much sodium? Does this mean i need to eat more sodium? Or does this simply mean I have salty sweat...
Fro
RE: Very Salty Sweat! Do I need higher sodium intake? 6/8/2010 6:55PM - in reply to torominska Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be due to a number of factors. Here are a few possibilities:

1) You have a lot of salt in your diet and your body is "purging" yourself of it, but this is not likely unless you really notice you are taking in a ton of salt
2) If you have Cystic Fibrosis, your sweat will be 2-3 times saltier than normal
3) Some people are naturally just "salty sweaters". This is actually a current issues researchers are looking into to find possible genetic or otherwise causes of people who tend to sweat significantly more than others, with the absence of CF or other conditions that otherwise are linked with salty sweat.

Hope that helps, and happy running!
POW
RE: Very Salty Sweat! Do I need higher sodium intake? 6/8/2010 7:44PM - in reply to torominska Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would guess that it has to do with the fact that you are sweating a lot, but your body has not adapted to sweating a lot. In the beginning of summer, I am like that (maybe not quite to scrapping chunks) but towards the end I don't have as much salt in the sweat (atleast it seems that way to me I might just be sweating the salt away).