Need some help
Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 9:55AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Our school has raised enough money to build an athletic field house. As head track coach I have been asked "what is the minimum size a track needs to be for it to be useful."
So I am asking the lets run community for some help. We don't need to host track meets, we are just looking for a good training track (it's winter here 8 months a year). I would like a 6 lane straight away and 4 lanes the rest of the way with banked corners. They are planning to only have two full sized basketball courts in the middle. Is this enough room? I know very little about proper dimensions so any help would be appreciated. The foot print of the building is around 40 to 45 000 sq feet. Thanks
iaaf fan
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 10:41AM - in reply to Need some help Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Check out the links from this page: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/technical/regulations/index.html

Check the Facilities Manual, Chapter 8 for everything related to 200-meter indoor tracks. The marking plan (a separate link) is kind of interesting too, should give you a sense of dimensions.
cmon dude
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 10:42AM - in reply to Need some help Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
C'mon Dude, I don't believe a word you say. If you're truly a head track coach, then you wouldn't be asking. Also, if you're truly a head track coach, you most likely have a college degree, and should be able to do the math as far as building size, track dimensions etc.

It would take a ton of money to build an idoor track. It is hard to believe that the money was raised WITHOUT having these plans in place. After all, a few large corporate donors would be involved, and usually they want to know where their money is going.

Troll somewhere else, loser.
iaaf fan
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 10:48AM - in reply to cmon dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
From page 268 of the Facilities Manual, it looks like a standard 200 meter track is about 90 x 45 meters = about 45,000 square feet
Need some help
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 12:01PM - in reply to iaaf fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks Iaaf fan, for the info, much appreciated. Our high school was given a large donation and the faculty decided that a field house would serve the school best. I was just asked to come up with the dimensions to see if it could accommodate a track.
AnEngineer
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 5/10/2010 12:01PM - in reply to Need some help Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How do you know you raised enough money, if you don't even know how big it's going to be?
SF Running
RE: Building an indoor track - how big 3/2/2013 1:30AM - in reply to cmon dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you always this cranky?

Common, it's a very legitimate question, indoor tracks are all different sizes, and this poor guy is trying to find out what's "standard", whatever that is. Chill out, your post is just attempting to show off, and you failed.