ACME red box
Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 12:26PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sometimes at the grocery store there is a pile of tickets (not jackpot tickets) that haven’t had the game scratched off of them. The only thing scratched is the bottom code that says something like, “F23-409340534” Can you tell if you’ve won by just looking at this code? These tickets are lying around frequently, and I’m guessing the person knows what they’re doing, but I just wanted to make sure…
ACME red box
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 6:20PM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
?
uh_no
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 6:30PM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if you could hack into the lottery servers, then yes you could....but its also slightly illegal

i've notified the secret service of your IP address and comments
peanutbutterchocolate
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 6:31PM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
in the box where you scratch off, there are 3 letters that are code for how much you won or if you didn't win
xcandtwack
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 8:03PM - in reply to peanutbutterchocolate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For example... O-N-E or T-W-O.
ACME red box
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 8:11PM - in reply to xcandtwack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lol uh_oh, I'm not trying to hack, I want to know if this person is leaving around unused lottery tickets

and what are the three letters?
Horacio
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/2/2010 8:38PM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think in my state they can see how much was won just by scanning the bar code on the back without scratching off anything. I am skeptical that store workers scan them and take all of the winners.
88wsefkj4e
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/3/2010 6:18AM - in reply to Horacio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
buy all the cheap ones, since you have a better chance of winning on them, and you'll feel special if you win jk
ACME red box
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/3/2010 9:14AM - in reply to 88wsefkj4e Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
but can ppl see by just scratching off the ID code thing?
peanutbutterchocolate
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/3/2010 10:18AM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
not just that one long number code, but there are 3 letters down in that area too, such as O N E, you won one dollar, T W O you win two dollars, H U N you win 100. I think if you get a K and two other random letters it's 25 dollars. If you get an X or letters that don't make any sense you usually lost, unless it's a pretty large amount that you won, then the letters won't make any sense as well. Things like that.
darerickk
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/3/2010 10:36AM - in reply to 88wsefkj4e Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The more expensive ones give you a better chance of winning, which is why they cost more (and they have larger purses). You can go to your state lottery website and they'll have all of the probabilities for each scratch off listed for you.

The way it's done here: you bring in a ticket, which the cashier doesn't even read, they scratch off a row of arbitrary numbers at the bottom, type it into their computer, it tells the winning amount and prints off a receipt for said amount. I've bought a ticket before with a $5 win. When I cashed it in, the cashier told me he looked it up when I bought it and saw that I was going to win. I don't know how he would have been able to do that without scratching anything, so he might've been feeding me some BS.
flounder of sorts
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/4/2010 8:03PM - in reply to darerickk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
we shouldn't buy lottery tickets, donate your money to charity or tithe
suburbanxcore
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/4/2010 8:17PM - in reply to flounder of sorts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's been years, but when I used to work at an Acme (in PA) the winning amount was in parentheses down in that long string of numbers.
angelpanik3003
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/30/2011 1:13AM - in reply to suburbanxcore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can answer your question I work at a seven eleven. the people never know if they have won or not when they scan JUST the bar code. They are simply to lazy to scratch the whole ticket. They just want to see if they got money. So they buy one at the counter, scratch the bar code, hand it to the cashier. The cashier feeds it through the lottery machine, types in the three digit number in the box, and the lottery machine either says congrats your a winner or says nothing. If they win they get there money. If not sometimes they ask for the scratch ticket back to enter it into the second chance drawing at (whateverstateyoulivein)lottery.com
central governor
RE: Can you tell if lottery tickets are winners by just scratching the code at the bottom? 5/30/2011 1:26AM - in reply to ACME red box Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes. Wired (?) had a story within the last year about a guy who figured out how to do just this. IIRC he was a professor in Canada, of Indian origin.

Of course, it depends on the specific lottery. He cracked his local lottery, whatever it was.

Oh fine, I looked it up for you:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_lottery/all/1