sprintf
MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 7:33AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have done a significant amount of Matlab programming over the years and like the software, but would like to explore free alternatives for future projects. Does anybody have experience comparing Matlab to software like Octave or SciLab? Is one able to get by with free Matlab clones rather than actual Matlab? Any opinions?
Greener
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 9:21AM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've used Octave recently to save some money for one of my biomechanics. It works well but you have to get used to a few finicky things and be prepared to do everything via command line including labels, axis, exporting graphs etc. Although I think qtoctave gives a gui to it but I could never get it to install on my mac. If you install it properly it should be pretty easy to get the additional packages (for example I needed the signal processing toolkit - unfortunately I added the functions manually - which took all of an additional 5 mins btw). Certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.
mc spanish fly
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 9:25AM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i have a scientist that i support who needed to do tensor calculus calculations, we didnt want to spend a lot of money on matlab so we went with octave. seems to work well.
areusure?
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 12:29PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can get Matlab (not clone) and all its extensions free online...gotta look.
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 12:55PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have used Octave, I think. It is for data. Isnt Matlab for matrices.
sprintf
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 1:50PM - in reply to areusure? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can definitely find Matlab and PLPs and cracks free online. However, my institution would not look kindly upon using pirated software for research. I have Matlab legally now, but am working with a few others who do not have licenses for it and would like to transition to something that will save money.

I use Matlab for all types of data analysis, including biomechanics (EMG and 3D motion analysis), which does require signal processing.
niarun
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 2:13PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you arent' using large data sets, you can use the student edition, which is limited, but still can use all the toolboxes etc. I haven't done that for about 10 years, so there may be more limitations now. You can probably write an internal or external small grant to get a license for the full version. You don't need to keep current on it to keep it working.
seriouslyserious
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 2:58PM - in reply to niarun Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Where can you get MATLAB free online...I highly doubt this is true
guessing
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 4:00PM - in reply to seriouslyserious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

seriouslyserious wrote:

Pirate bay.
math programmer
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 4:01PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It depends on what folks are interested in. If you are doing a bunch of optimization (ala CPLEX, KNITRO, MINOS...) then one programming language I have found very good is AMPL. If I remember correctly you can get a free trial at their website.
pirater
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 6:05PM - in reply to math programmer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can get the previous version of matlab (2007 i think?) for free online with a license and it works fine. The problem for me is that most of my code requires the more advanced optimization functions which only exist in the newer matlab (2009?) which i have so far not located online for free.

Depends what you want to do. For basic stuff, there are many alternatives to matlab. For me though, the value of matlab is in the powerful optimization routines which are difficult to replicate.
Greener
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 6:18PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sprintf wrote:

I can definitely find Matlab and PLPs and cracks free online. However, my institution would not look kindly upon using pirated software for research. I have Matlab legally now, but am working with a few others who do not have licenses for it and would like to transition to something that will save money.

I use Matlab for all types of data analysis, including biomechanics (EMG and 3D motion analysis), which does require signal processing.

The biomechanics class I was in, we were able to do force plate, video, 3d motion system, and emg analysis all with octave. The only signal processing function I needed that wasn't included in Octave was butter (the butterworth filter function) which I downloaded (and it's required functions) from:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php

The installation instructions for additional packages are here:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/

But for me I just extracted the package and copy and pasted the functions I needed into the default Octave function directory.
sprintf
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 6:35PM - in reply to Greener Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like that should work for me then - that is almost exactly what I would be using it for. Just was playing around with accelerometer data in Matlab tonight and EMG data last week. I will check it out.
Get Real Real
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 6:44PM - in reply to guessing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

guessing wrote:

seriouslyserious wrote:

Pirate bay.

Exactly, that is not free, that is Stolen.
knowing
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 6:48PM - in reply to Get Real Real Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Get Real Real wrote:

guessing wrote:

seriouslyserious wrote:

Pirate bay.

Exactly, that is not free, that is Stolen.

No it is shared.
OpenSource Baby
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 7:05PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think Octave is comparable. I used it for a graduate level class in Linear Algebra as an alternative to buying Matlab.

What do you want to do with it?
mrpantsman8888
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 4/17/2010 8:09PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
OCTAVE FTW
ziura
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 5/4/2010 3:13PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here is an online matlab clone:

http://www.mathator.com/

Its great advantage is that it is always accesible from internet, and from everywhere. It allows to program m-file style algorithms, plot graphs and other basic matlab fuctionality, although it is a small application compared to matlab.
computer
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 5/4/2010 4:33PM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Octave and Scilab are two good choices. Scilab also has Scicos which is like Simulink, but with ugly icons.

The choice really depends on what you are doing with it.

Some other alternatives of note are Scipy, R, and Sagemath. It is hard to describe the differences without applying them to a problem.

R functions are also available in the other two programs. There are several Scipy suites too. One is http://www.pythonxy.com/

http://www.scipy.org/
http://www.r-project.org/
http://www.sagemath.org/

Now get going on some Ventolin^2 like calulations.
MechE
RE: MATLAB - Free alternatives, Matlab clones - which ones? 5/5/2010 4:33AM - in reply to sprintf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Matlab is the standard.. and you get what you pay for.

Everyone who is waiting around for sourceforge or linux distros to make the world a better place: sack up and just buy it.. its not that expensive.