Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
floss baby
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 1:43PM - in reply to Had Some Myself Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Had Some Myself wrote:
Since that time I've brushed daily (recently started brushing twice per day), and flossed 5-7 times per week, and haven't had any cavities in the 10 years since.

I don't get cavities as easily but my gums need more attention. Plus I'm assuming almost every non-poverty kid has there back teeth dabbed with filling already when younger and just seems real hard to get cavities after that.
Some Random Guy
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 1:48PM - in reply to smd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

smd wrote:
I go every three months (gum problems). Every single time the hygienist asks in that perky annoying tone, "Have you been flossing?" I always want to say, "Yes. Have you been working out?"

Dude. Listen, I understand, but that is her job. If you were her personal trainer, you could ask that.

I feel bad for people in rolls such as hers. Dealing with people who do not want to be there, consider her annoying, etc.

Next time, say something nice to her.
cmon dude
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 2:14PM - in reply to cow pow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Eat a bunch of Oreos on the way to the dentist. That will really piss 'em off.
Mitch H
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 2:17PM - in reply to cow pow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Quoting the late Mitch Hedberg: "I have so much tartar on my teeth, I don't have to dip my fish into sh**"
smd
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 2:19PM - in reply to Some Random Guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Some Random Guy wrote:

smd wrote:
I go every three months (gum problems). Every single time the hygienist asks in that perky annoying tone, "Have you been flossing?" I always want to say, "Yes. Have you been working out?"

Dude. Listen, I understand, but that is her job. If you were her personal trainer, you could ask that.

I feel bad for people in rolls such as hers. Dealing with people who do not want to be there, consider her annoying, etc.

Next time, say something nice to her.

I do say nice things. But the question is stupid. Who's going to say anything but "yes"?
just another guy
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 2:27PM - in reply to cow pow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I go once a year or so but I am thinking of giving it up soon. I have never had any dental problems (still have never had a cavity and I am 43). I think the whole dental inductry is a bit of a crock. Just brush your teeth and floss before you go to bed and you should be fine. Don't pay 'The Dental Man' for something you can do yourself.
nsmb, good oral genes
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 2:41PM - in reply to just another guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
42 here, no cavities, no nothin'. Went a decade between visits once and it was no sweat. Routine cleaning, no gum bleeding or anything.

Recently got a fancy Sonicare toothbrush. It leaves teeth feeling like they were cleaned at the dentist. Between that and daily flossing/picking I reckon every ten years ought to do it.
luv2run
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 4:59PM - in reply to cow pow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cow pow wrote:

well?
hope my mouth doesn't taste nasty.

Probably going to have to make a 2nd visit to finish the job.
Dentally retarded
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 8:31PM - in reply to just another guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

just another guy wrote:

I go once a year or so but I am thinking of giving it up soon. I have never had any dental problems (still have never had a cavity and I am 43). I think the whole dental inductry is a bit of a crock. Just brush your teeth and floss before you go to bed and you should be fine. Don't pay 'The Dental Man' for something you can do yourself.

You wouldn't be calling the "dental industry" a crock if you are in some serious pain from a toothache and need help. My advice is to get to know a good dentist and go on a regular basis. That dentist will more than likely help you get out of pain in that situation even if it is after hours or on the weekend. If you only go when you have a problem, they'll probably be less sympathetic.
campana
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 9:15PM - in reply to Dentally retarded Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got a cleaning for the first time in 12 years at age 30. All the doctor said was "well, you obviously have a lot of build-up, but no cavities and no sign of bone loss". Since then I go at least every 6 months, and it's totally worth it. I only pay $40 for a cleaning without a checkup from the doc.
SMJO
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 9:21PM - in reply to campana Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You will notice that people who never go to the dentist have about the same teeth as those who go all the time.
The whole point is that you need to take care of your teeth yourself.
If you need to go to the dentist constantly it means you aren't doing it properly yourself.
Dentaphobe
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/5/2010 9:31PM - in reply to SMJO Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I actually went for the first time in 10 years, last year at age 34. I brushed and flossed regularly but I was worried beyond belief to go back for the first time in ages. I can completely relate to the OP. I seriously had anxiety that the dentist was going to freak out about how terrible my teeth were.

I am here to tell you it was surpsingly no big deal. I had no cavities and the whole thing lasted about 20 minutes. He only mentioned a little buildup in hard to reach places and showed me how to brush those areas. I've gone back since. I would be totally cool with skipping a few more years, but I now like the clean feeling that I get after leaving his office.

Looking back, I'm sure the dentist has seen far worse teeth than mine after skipping 10 years of appointments. The majority of people in this world are probably not nearly as anal about brushing and flossing as I am.
nsmb, good oral genes
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 7:35AM - in reply to Dentaphobe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dentaphobe: I would be totally cool with skipping a few more years, but I now like the clean feeling that I get after leaving his office.

Get yourself a Sonicare toothbrush and get that feeling twice a day. For full effect use CloSys toothpaste & mouth rinse.
jjjjjjj
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 8:12AM - in reply to nsmb, good oral genes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you're going to be in for a shock. a lot has changed. to encourage return trips, they now have the hygienist sex you up while you're waiting for the lead dentista.
old teeth
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 10:27AM - in reply to Had Some Myself Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I havent been to a dentist in 28 years and i brush my teeth 2 times a day i have a few missing in the back,but hey think of all that money i have savedddddddddddd
old teeth
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 10:27AM - in reply to Had Some Myself Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I havent been to a dentist in 28 years and i brush my teeth 2 times a day i have a few missing in the back,but hey think of all that money i have savedddddddddddd
nathan smith
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 12:31PM - in reply to cow pow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lot of plaque and tarter. How the hell do you not go once in 10 yrs.??!?!
tootsto3
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 12:48PM - in reply to Dark Angels Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
he's 'bout right.
brush every day (or nearly) and floss at least twice a week (preferably every day) and you won't need a dentist to clean your teeth.

also Sonicare is good...it really does help.

also...the best toothpaste is H2o2 and baking soda.
some say the baking soda is to abrasive for teeth...but alternate this with a good toothpaste like Arm-n-Hammer and you will have nearly perfect teeth. the h2o2 slowly bleaches and whitens your teeth too...and it costs micr-pennies.

....but if you haven't been taking care of your teeth, they will probably scale your teeth (after taking x-rays). This involves scrapping under the gum line to remove tartar and plaque. This will be reasonably painful and bloody and your teeth will hurt for like two days. you may have carries.
Indie Douche
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 1:55PM - in reply to tootsto3 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Haven't gone in like three years, and Cobra runs out in a couple of months, so I think I"m going to have to hit up the dentist (as well as get a physical, do all that other stuff I"ve put off for too long)... god bless the expense of insurance and my inability to pay for it! I guess I'll feel really healthy for about a week.
wow..
RE: Haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. What should I expect when I get my teeth cleaned next Monday? 3/6/2010 2:29PM - in reply to Indie Douche Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How does that happen? I'm the same age as you and my dentist stalks me for weeks every 6 months.

As far as what to expect, depends what kind of genes you have. I brushed twice a day for years and got 3-4 cavities a year for a while. Now I floss everyday, sometimes twice a day, brush 2-3 times a day and I'm fine...for now. But I'm running out of unfilled teeth so that may be part of the reason I haven't gotten any cavities lately.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |