Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Lest You Run
Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:35AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had a sore throat for a week now and I'm convinced that nothing will heal it but getting drunk and hoping a high BAC will destroy all unwanted pathogens.

Would I be better off drinking a hoppy beer (pale ale/IPA), red wine, or liquor? I know anything with excessive sugar should be avoided. Thanks,
alky
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:40AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Liquor might help kill the bacteria(?) in your throat, but I think beer would feel better going down. If you're avoiding sugar, I'd stay away from the wine. I don't really know what I'm talking about, however.
Hm...
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:44AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yuengling
daTroof
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:44AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A cold stout is best for a sore throat, good throat, any throat, any time of the day or night!
ec
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:49AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everclear.
ibindrankenagin
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:55AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any type of hard alcohol will irritate your throat beyond belief. Beer may feel good with some bubbles, but I think it is too weak and too cold to kill off any pathogens. Wine typically has lots of sugar.

So, I have two ideas: (1) Sake, I have never tried this but it seems legit to me because warm stuff always helps a sore throat, and the alcohol content is high enough to both get your drunk and to kill some germs and (2) Vodka mixed in with Vitamin Water "Defense" (or really any other kind of vitamin water), I do this thinking that if I am going to drink I might as well get some vitamins too, so far it has certainly never hurt my throat and has at least helped me forget it about it while I'm drunk.
Lest You Run
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 12:05PM - in reply to ibindrankenagin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sake, like wine, would have a sugaryness to it as well, so I would probably want to avoid that too.

Think I am going to stick to a nice pale ale, hops have antibacterial properties anywho.

Though a nice warm vodka gargle (and treating myself to the leftovers) would probably be most effective.
dr what
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 12:19PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
alcohol can seriously hamper your immune system. I suggest not drinking anything
Mr. E-man
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 12:38PM - in reply to dr what Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a shot of creme de menthe will do wonders
Rocafella
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 12:39PM - in reply to dr what Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Eggnog and vodka
ukathleticscoach
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 12:45PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You could try vodka like I did - ended up with tonsillitis

Go for Merocaine
Bmagic
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 2:13PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
DEFINITELY whiskey, especially if you are coughing
worm
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 6:08PM - in reply to Bmagic Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
tequila seriously
lets end this
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 6:43PM - in reply to worm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm going through the same thing. I have a sore throat, cough, & I've been really fatigued for 5 days now. Nothing works.

When I feel a cold starting, usually a good night of drinking stops it. I tried drinking the first 2 nights & it seemed to make the cold worse. Though I didn't drink much. I think I'm slowly dieing.

Anyways I'm going to try some vodka & water tonight.
pecan
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 6:55PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everclear by far.
Mrs. M
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 8:26PM - in reply to lets end this Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hot toddy: 2 shots of whiskey, lemon juice, honey, water to taste. My mother used to give this to me as a child to soothe my cough and help me sleep at night, but I think it's good for a sore throat too.
I wood
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 8:39PM - in reply to Mrs. M Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Salty Margarita.

gargle before swallowing. salt is great for a sore throat.
Ess Gee Ess
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/12/2010 11:21PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Lest You Run wrote:

I've had a sore throat for a week now and I'm convinced that nothing will heal it but getting drunk and hoping a high BAC will destroy all unwanted pathogens.

Would I be better off drinking a hoppy beer (pale ale/IPA), red wine, or liquor? I know anything with excessive sugar should be avoided. Thanks,

Old Grand Dad will take care of just about anything.
J.R.
fresh ginger root & homemade kvass 2/12/2010 11:59PM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Chew fresh ginger root & drink water.

Make homemade kvass and drink that.

Kvass = beets, sea salt (with magnesium), pure water.
IDK
RE: Drinking alcohol with a sore throat. Which beverage is best? 2/13/2010 11:00AM - in reply to Lest You Run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I find it amazing...
Top3:
Grand Marnier- room temp
Tuaca- also at room temp
Saki- slighly warmed
Pages: | 1 | 2 |