gaga
Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/2/2010 9:22PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
whenever the temp is freezing cold (30s and below) I have trouble breathing on my runs. I find it very difficult to catch my breath and sometimes feel as though im on the cusp of an asthma attack. even when i walk fast or up the stairs in the cold, my breathing is also bothersome.

anyone have any advice or know why this occurs? my breathing never bothers me in the heat or humidity.
3200guy
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/2/2010 9:40PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gaga wrote:

whenever the temp is freezing cold (30s and below) I have trouble breathing on my runs. I find it very difficult to catch my breath and sometimes feel as though im on the cusp of an asthma attack. even when i walk fast or up the stairs in the cold, my breathing is also bothersome.

anyone have any advice or know why this occurs? my breathing never bothers me in the heat or humidity.

Is cold weather rare where you live or is it frequent?
heavier breathing in winter
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/2/2010 9:57PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it has something to do with the humidity. I also have trouble breathing in the winters, but I'm currently visiting a drier but cold place and my breathing has been better (compared to home where it's cold but the air feels "heavy" with moisture). Another guess is maybe it has to do with iron and/or Vit. D status.

I'd be curious to hear other experiences.
_Dexter_
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/2/2010 10:31PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Use a balaclava or some other sort of mask for anything under 30. It will help to keep the air warm and moist. I have been doing it for a few years now and it really helps. It is a tough balance sometimes, b/c it can get too warm, but it is better than coughing up my lungs for the whole next day.

How will I get my revenge on Trinity?????
sub 4 or bust
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/3/2010 11:04AM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A former elite cyclist once told me that he had trouble breathing during cold weather during training. He went to see a doctor about it and the doctor diagnosed him with asthma. The cyclist took some asthma medication prescribed by the doctor and this improved his cycling substantially.
sub 4 or bust
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/3/2010 11:05AM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A former elite cyclist once told me that he had trouble breathing during cold weather during training. He went to see a doctor about it and the doctor diagnosed him with asthma. The cyclist took some asthma medication prescribed by the doctor and this improved his cycling substantially.
IllinoisMaster
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/3/2010 1:09PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Google "Exercise Induced Asthma"

It's quite common. An inhaler often works.
gaga
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/3/2010 2:53PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks for all the advice! i was diagnosed with exercise enduced asthma 12 years ago, while i was still running in high school. hot weather triggered the only 2 asthma attacks i've ever had, both occured many years ago. i live in the Northeast, so I'm used to both hot and cold weather.

I'll def schedule a doctors appt to check and see if i should use an inhaler.

i live in the middle of a city so perhaps years of running and breathing in polution could've made my breathing worse?
Dikembe Mutumbo
RE: Trouble Breathing in Cold Weather 1/3/2010 5:33PM - in reply to gaga Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had this problem too, but then I stopped breathing. Hope this works for you!!!