Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Guilherme
Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 12:47PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a friend who is a legal medical marijuana user and an intermediate level distance runner. She probably inhales a quarter ounce a month and to my knowledge does not eat or take her medicine via any other means. She claims to have experienced no negative effects on her running from her medication and on the eve of races that resulted in personal best times (which keep getting better), she took her medicine as prescribed. Although, she apparently did not take it before or during any races. Is this possible? Have their been studies related to marijuana smoke and running? Which is worse on your running, tobacco or marijuana? Or does it improve your running? Kinda like that study that found marijuana smoke to have a mild preventative effect against lung cancer.
1forthemoney
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 12:57PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
well marijuana certainly doesn't improve ur running, and it shouldnt be used if u r a serious competitive runner. but overall it really doesnt harm one that much. i never smoked in high school when i ran, but a year after i graduated i started running again just for fun, while smoking a few times a week, and was able to get back into great shape very easily, and had no noticeable effects from smoking, although im sure it didnt help me in any way. i would say tobacco is worse for your running, its harsher, filled with chemicals.
RealityCheck
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 1:01PM - in reply to 1forthemoney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

1forthemoney wrote:

well marijuana certainly doesn't improve ur running, and it shouldnt be used if u r a serious competitive runner. but overall it really doesnt harm one that much. i never smoked in high school when i ran, but a year after i graduated i started running again just for fun, while smoking a few times a week, and was able to get back into great shape very easily, and had no noticeable effects from smoking, although im sure it didnt help me in any way. i would say tobacco is worse for your running, its harsher, filled with chemicals.

Thanks for your expert opinion. By the way, an experiment conducted with a n=1 (i.e., you) does not qualify as a well-powered and controlled clinical study.
Panama Red
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 2:01PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Smoke marijuana right after you finish your warm down, especially after a hard afternoon workout. The enhanced muscle relaxation, stress relief and elevated blood flow will aid in your recovery. The buzz will be nice too. Act on your heightened appetite and consume your recovery meal at this time. Later that night, take a few more hits with your girlfriend/boyfriend just before bed and bang out a good one. You will sleep soundly for the next 8 to 9 hours and be physically primed for a good morning run. Also, be sure to use a bong so you don't become addicted, and practice safe sex.
v-dawg
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 2:10PM - in reply to Panama Red Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
this

Panama Red wrote:

Smoke marijuana right after you finish your warm down, especially after a hard afternoon workout. The enhanced muscle relaxation, stress relief and elevated blood flow will aid in your recovery. The buzz will be nice too. Act on your heightened appetite and consume your recovery meal at this time. Later that night, take a few more hits with your girlfriend/boyfriend just before bed and bang out a good one. You will sleep soundly for the next 8 to 9 hours and be physically primed for a good morning run. Also, be sure to use a bong so you don't become addicted, and practice safe sex.
heres 2 cents
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 2:37PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IMO, smoking marijuana in moderation is no worse than drinking alcohol in moderation, and it may even be better than drinking. Of course most people who have never smoked will disagree this, and there isnt an easy way to prove/disprove it. Tobacco is probably similar, its just that you see more people addicted to tobacco resulting in it being smoked more. Of course smoking anything wont help your running, but when you think about it, what does help your running except running more?
MC RUN
RE: Marijuana and running? 12/31/2009 6:30PM - in reply to heres 2 cents Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
troll and an idiot. What do you mean she took the medicine as prescribed? Who prescribed? Doctors NEVER prescribe marijuana, they simply sign a paper. And dispensers by law never tell you how much to take either. You are embarrassing yourself.
you said it
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/1/2010 9:16PM - in reply to Panama Red Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well said, a little weed won't hurt anything. If you (and you girl) enjoy it, exercise your right. The same uptight douchebags that condone it are pounding beers as we speak.
Experienced With This
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/2/2010 8:16AM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I like smoking prior to long runs, especially if running alone. Trail runs are great too. I don't smoke much - a hit or two. Speedwork is a different story. Pot seems to elevate my HR so unless I'm doing a good warmup prior to speedwork, I avoid it until afterwards. Now, I'm off to my weekend ritual at a buddy's: a couple tokes, coffee, ESPN, and the long run. Can't wait!
Experienced With This
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/2/2010 10:34AM - in reply to Experienced With This Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Experienced With This wrote:

I like smoking prior to long runs, especially if running alone. Trail runs are great too. I don't smoke much - a hit or two. Speedwork is a different story. Pot seems to elevate my HR so unless I'm doing a good warmup prior to speedwork, I avoid it until afterwards. Now, I'm off to my weekend ritual at a buddy's: a couple tokes, coffee, ESPN, and the long run. Can't wait!

I forgot one thing about my weekend ritual at a buddy's: a couple tokes, coffee, ESPN, and the long run.....after the run we then bang it out via the "back door" .......yes, Im gay but I can also break 17 for the 5K so who cares!!
youbeslowson
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/2/2010 10:46AM - in reply to Experienced With This Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey now lets not start the hateful posting because you cant break 17 and the person who smokes pot can.
Guilherme
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/3/2010 8:25PM - in reply to MC RUN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MC RUN wrote:troll and an idiot. What do you mean she took the medicine as prescribed? Who prescribed? Doctors NEVER prescribe marijuana, they simply sign a paper. And dispensers by law never tell you how much to take either. You are embarrassing yourself.

WTF? I dont know the details of her conversations with her MD, asshole. I was reciting my understanding of her situation for the purpose of discussing whether you can be a decent endurance athlete despite incorporating smoking into your lifestyle. I never said she was "prescribed" a quarter bag a month, douchebag. From what I've been told, you get a caretaker or whoever to grow it legally and then you take it however you like in whatever quantity you like. I dont know how the hell medical marijuana works. The point is the lady smokes weed daily but can bust out several hours of fast running. What the hell does your comment have to do with the discussion?
Vbro
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/3/2010 11:51PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I use a vaporizer during the off season, doesn't hurt nearly as much as inhaling smoke. Most likely won't use at all during the season. Smoking weed will certainly harm your lungs especially if you smoke thru pipes without water to filter and cool the smoke.
joel1
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 11:35AM - in reply to 1forthemoney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi. I have ran 8 marathons, including 1 boston. I have alway placed in the top 5% of competitors at chicago regardless of whether I was smoking at the time or not as long as I did enough long runs. I suspect that extremely heavy smoking (non-tobacco) could add up to 5 minutes maximum to a marathon time (ie up 10 seconds per mile), though I personally have never noticed any effect on finishing time. Last week I ran a total of 60 miles as training for Birmingham marathon next month, while smoking blunts copiously. I suspect that I will have my fastest marathon at Birmingham with a goal of staying below 3 hours. Maybe I just freak or statistical outlier.
Dreaming of Speed
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 11:45AM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All I know is I think a kid on my HS team broke the state record in the 100m while high.
doo doo
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 12:03PM - in reply to you said it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

you said it wrote:
The same uptight douchebags that condone it are pounding beers as we speak.

I think you mean condemn. Condone means they support it.
tomtom
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 12:17PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yo

two things:

1. marijuana is prohibited by WADA, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong). Idiocy if you ask me, it's like banning beer, but It's how the world works. Drug dealers asked for harsh prohibition so they can make more money. And by drug dealers I mean people who work with government - guess why USA invaded Afghanistan? So, side effect would be banning from competition.

2. if it's smoked in really big amounts, it can make you very lazy.

No other side effects ever proved.
ra ra ra rawr
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 1:53PM - in reply to you said it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

you said it wrote:

Well said, a little weed won't hurt anything. If you (and you girl) enjoy it, exercise your right. The same uptight douchebags that condone it are pounding beers as we speak.

You might want to check up on the meaning of the word 'condone.'
Shanghai
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 2:02PM - in reply to Guilherme Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember going on recruiting trips to many of the top D1 schools, and almost all of them had a lot of their top athletes that were potheads. So I'd say it probably doesn't hurt you that much.
Vater
RE: Marijuana and running? 1/24/2010 2:08PM - in reply to ra ra ra rawr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well if she's allowed to use medical marijuana then she probably has some problem that would make running a lot more difficult without it, right? So of course she's better off. I just don't know what medical condition that would be.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |