heyguyzimarmycrawling
Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 11:23AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who wins in a fight:
Grizzly Bear or Hippo?

This is a serious question. Hippos are very powerful, but how much? Would the vast strength of the Hippo be able to dominate the viciousness of the enraged Grizzly Bear?

note: This is in the running category because both of these animals are among the most dangerous animals a runner could regularly encounter.
Professor Farnsworth
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 11:36AM - in reply to heyguyzimarmycrawling Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
(male) Grizzly Bear: 600#
(male) Hippo: 3500#

The Hippo has powerful jaws and exceptional quickness. "On the National Geographic Channel television program, "Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr", Dr. Brady Barr measured the bite pressure of an adult female hippo at 1,821 lb (826 kg); Barr also attempted to measure the bite pressure of an adult male hippo, but had to abandon the attempt due to the male's aggressiveness."

I think the Grizzly would try to circle around the Hippo to attack its more vulnerable flank, but fail. The Hippo could just turn in place.

The Hippo eventually kills the Grizzly by either trampling it underfoot, maiming it with a vicious chomp, or squashing it with a Sumo-style bellyflop.

This is all considering a dry land confrontation. In even 1-2' of water, the Grizzly would be practically defenseless.
abio
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 11:46AM - in reply to Professor Farnsworth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The grizzly would have the advantage of being a well equipt and practiced predator, with sharp teeth and claws. Hippos fight amongst themselves for territory and access to females, but they are not predators. However, the sheer weight advantage of a hippo would be difficult for a grizzly to overcome. The hippo could stand it ground, as the previous poster mentioned, and the grizzly's only hope would be wearing the hippo down to the point where it could slash the hippo's neck. Two bears would win for sure, but one would probably lose.
hippos are dangerous
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 12:04PM - in reply to abio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This would be no contest at all. The hippo would win even with five grizzlies.

A cougar can take on a grizzly. The hippo is probably the most dangerous animal.
NObama........................
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 12:24PM - in reply to heyguyzimarmycrawling Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

heyguyzimarmycrawling wrote:

Who wins in a fight:
Grizzly Bear or Hippo?

This is a serious question. Hippos are very powerful, but how much? Would the vast strength of the Hippo be able to dominate the viciousness of the enraged Grizzly Bear?

note: This is in the running category because both of these animals are among the most dangerous animals a runner could regularly encounter.

The answer is Hippo, but you do got to take into consideration the environment that this would take place. If it's in or near the water, the fight would be over as soon as it start b/c hippo are territorial and usually try to submerge theyre enemies under the water and "sit" on them to drown em. like the other poster said the weight advantage goes hippo. Also them hippos skins are so thick that a bears claws would break skin but not cause it to bleed.

If it was in a forest with rollin hills, the bear would have a better shot at not dying with in five minutes. I don't know if you eve seen a bear run hills, but they angle their bodies and can probably out run the fastest of humans. I was out huntin a few years back and this bear was chasing a deer. The deer was moving until it hit this series of hills and then the bear took em down somethin fierce.
huntin man
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 1:31PM - in reply to NObama........................ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I was out huntin a few years back and this bear was chasing a deer. The deer was moving until it hit this series of hills and then the bear took em down somethin fierce.

Reminds me of the time I saw a hippo massacre a troll. What an ass-raping that was!
american airlines
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 1:42PM - in reply to NObama........................ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your opinion doesn't count, asshole. And I can't even tell you the number of reasons I know you didn't see a grizzly take down a deer while you were hunting. Dumbass.
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 3:18PM - in reply to american airlines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

american airlines wrote:

Your opinion doesn't count, asshole. And I can't even tell you the number of reasons I know you didn't see a grizzly take down a deer while you were hunting. Dumbass.

So much anger! They make a pill for that...
no one
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 3:41PM - in reply to abio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The grizzly would also have a considerable reach advantage. He would need to use his jab to keep the hippo at a distance and then setup the big right hand. He would have to be very careful and not let the hippo pin him in the corner. If the hippo got the bear on the ropes, it's all over with.
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 3:59PM - in reply to no one Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

no one wrote:

The grizzly would also have a considerable reach advantage. He would need to use his jab to keep the hippo at a distance and then setup the big right hand. He would have to be very careful and not let the hippo pin him in the corner. If the hippo got the bear on the ropes, it's all over with.

A bear stands no chance against a hippo. Do you know how powerful a hippo is? Especially his jaws?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USw8_qpZJQQ
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 4:03PM - in reply to hippos are dangerous Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

hippos are dangerous wrote:

This would be no contest at all. The hippo would win even with five grizzlies.

A cougar can take on a grizzly. The hippo is probably the most dangerous animal.

A hippo vs. a pack of lions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgiZbCR6-YA
Puhleez!
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 4:06PM - in reply to NObama........................ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I say Rosie O'Donnell takes the hippo and the grizzly
Green Fences
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 4:23PM - in reply to NObama........................ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The hippo doesn't even try to fight back! The Grizzly Bear would easily win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS1rU5SAskU&feature=related
Brain not feel right
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 4:47PM - in reply to abio Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

abio wrote:

The grizzly would have the advantage of being a well equipt and practiced predator, with sharp teeth and claws. Hippos fight amongst themselves for territory and access to females, but they are not predators.

You sure about that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDL83LwfyzA

And then there's this, which makes me think one grizzly bear wouldn't stand a chance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgiZbCR6-YA
hh
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 5:10PM - in reply to Brain not feel right Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is somewhat more comparable (Polar bear vs. walrus):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_oD1IsYbE
Mr. E-man
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 5:44PM - in reply to american airlines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

american airlines wrote:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/1191/21/n67258066130_1015.jpg
american airlines
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 7:23PM - in reply to Mr. E-man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not really sure what that means, but Nobama said nothing to refute my claim that he could not have POSSIBLY, in any ecological way, seen a grizzly attack a deer while he was hunting. He's obviously a troll. Hell, maybe he's even a Democrat trying to make the GOP look dumb.

Whatever that graphic was supposed to mean, however, is beyond me. Gosh, dumb? Napolean Dynamite? Maybe it's sarcastic?

The thing is, I know the guy's an idiot, and I felt like lashing out, whether he's a troll or not.

F*** you.
huntin man
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 7:55PM - in reply to american airlines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Unlike that other guy, I don't give a rat's ass about what sweet nothings you whisper to Nobama (who must be, from his name, the love-child of Nobby and the sitting US President, right?)

But for the sake of all that is decent, do something about your little company. Recently flew JetBlue out and American back, and my god does American suffer pathetically in that comparison. In, like, every conceivable aspect of the experience.
american airlines
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 8:09PM - in reply to huntin man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ha... Yeah, it's sort of a misnomer. They're awful. But I recently started a thread asking whether I could pack a bottle of scotch into my checked luggage, and the name was still up, so I figured it would work just as well to give Nobama some kind of response.

By the way, I'm pretty sure he's the same guy as the other asshole who was here a few months ago... what was his name?
Green Fences
RE: Grizzly Bear vs. Hippo 12/11/2009 11:11PM - in reply to american airlines Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If the fight is on land then the Grizzly Bear easily wins. All it has to do is take the Hippo's back and the Hippo is done. A Grizzly is much more agile then the Hippo is on land so this should not be a problem. If the fight takes place in the water then its a whole different ballgame.