Just a question
Chocolate Milk 11/19/2009 9:37PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If Chocolate Milk is the best recovery drink, is Nesquick included in the "good recovery drink" category? I'm not exactly sure the differences between them, I know Nesquick brags about not having HFCS like chocolate syrup does. Any input?
blip
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 7:13AM - in reply to Just a question Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Over The Moon- nonfat organic chocolate milk is the best. Hersey syrup, Nestle Quik, both are artificial and have unnecessary preservatives and aren't real chocolate just as YooHoo isn't real chocolate milk, but is just a chocolate flavored drink.
come on man
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 7:22AM - in reply to blip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

blip wrote:

Over The Moon- nonfat organic chocolate milk is the best. Hersey syrup, Nestle Quik, both are artificial and have unnecessary preservatives and aren't real chocolate just as YooHoo isn't real chocolate milk, but is just a chocolate flavored drink.

No, non-fat is not the best choice.
bing
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 7:26AM - in reply to Just a question Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Where is Alan?
Windy
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 9:09AM - in reply to bing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Chocolate milk gives me gas.
Live and Learn
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 9:16AM - in reply to blip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

blip wrote:

I would go with this, except go with 1% or 2% milk.

Just make sure it is the real deal, organic chocolate and non-hormone milk.

Stuff like nesquik and all that other garbage is just another soft drink.

Whole Foods actually has a pretty cheap 2% chocolate milk that I buy a lot. Like 79 cents for a pint-sized bottle. Not a bad deal.
DickGregory
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 9:21AM - in reply to Live and Learn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My understanding is the reason that chocolate milk is a good post recovery drink is the ratio of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Take away the fat and it is not the same thing.
Live and Learn
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 9:24AM - in reply to DickGregory Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That is why I said 1% or 2%.

With a pint of 2% milk, you still get like 12 grams of fat.
blip
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 9:54AM - in reply to come on man Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

come on man wrote:

blip wrote:

No, non-fat is not the best choice.

I'll agree with that. 1%- 2% is probably better.
Citizen Runner
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 10:13AM - in reply to DickGregory Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

DickGregory wrote:

My understanding is the reason that chocolate milk is a good post recovery drink is the ratio of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Take away the fat and it is not the same thing.

I believe the various studies on chocolate milk used the lowfat (1%) variety. In one study in which chocolate milk did better under their particular test conditions than Endurox the author speculated that it may be due to the difference in the way various sugars are absorbed and utilized by the body. In a recent thread Alan pointed to some research indicating that fructose is preferentially used to replenish the liver versus glucose which preferentially goes to the muscles. I don't know if this analysis has be done for other sugars like lactose or what the relative performance of sucrose vs hfcs as the added sugar would be.
figures
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 10:28AM - in reply to Just a question Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Chocolate milk is suprisingly high in protein that can be absorbed quickly.

a WSJ article last year ranked it better than most expensive recovery drinks. some people have trouble drinking milk, but I chug a low fat or non-fat Nesquik after any run of 12 miles or more.
da
RE: Chocolate Milk 11/20/2009 10:59AM - in reply to Just a question Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. First, I pride myself on not "falling" for marketing gimmicks, the latest hype, etc. But, I used chocolate milk (2%, I believe) for recovery for a long time. I had heard about Endurox for a long time and was able to get a small can of it cheap from my local shop. All I can say is that, for me, the difference between the two was really noticeable. I was instantly converted to Endurox; however, I only use it for runs longer than 2 hours. Of course, this is just my n=1 experience.