over before i start
Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/8/2009 1:04PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It sort of feels like my foot is bruised when I walk and a little bit when I run. I feel it when I flex and push off with my foot while walking around the house. The feeling is sort of high on my foot in front of where it meets my lower leg. I've felt it for five days and I've had the last two days off. I had been trying to get back into running for two weeks after a month long break and was doing two a days and speed work at the track.
John SmaIIberries
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/8/2009 1:08PM - in reply to over before i start Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Loosen your laces a bit and see if that helps. I am totally serious, try this for a couple days. You may see results.

Hope you get healthy
Chica
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/8/2009 1:11PM - in reply to over before i start Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After reading the subject line of your post, I also thought about loosening your shoe laces. Unless the pain is unbearable, give this a try and see if the pain improves.
over before i start
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/8/2009 1:19PM - in reply to John SmaIIberries Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I will loosen my laces. I've done that before. It is more like an aching feeling. It doesn't really stop me from running. It is just a little uncomfortable but sort of goes away after a while. Maybe it's strange that I feel it walking around the house barefoot. I will go running today and see how it goes.
Haji
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/8/2009 1:26PM - in reply to over before i start Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

over before i start wrote:

I will loosen my laces. I've done that before. It is more like an aching feeling. It doesn't really stop me from running. It is just a little uncomfortable but sort of goes away after a while. Maybe it's strange that I feel it walking around the house barefoot. I will go running today and see how it goes.

I had the same feeling in my foot prior to my last marathon. I ran the marathon and saw a podiatrist afterwards when, despite rest for 3 weeks, the pain was still there.
Mine was a stress fracture of the Talus bone. Spent 5 weeks in a walking boot. Sucks. Hope yours isn't yet a fracture.
over before i start
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/10/2009 9:13PM - in reply to Haji Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I tried doing a little bit of stuff yesterday. The feeling is still there. I read a little of this thread about the talus stress fracture:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?board=1&id=2844114&thread=1159323

Earlier in the summer I kicked a soccer ball incorrectly and it sort of hurt my foot. I think I kicked it with the very tip of my toe and it made my ankle hurt. I wonder if it is related. I guess I will just rest. I don't have any health insurance (I'm going to get it when I go to Europe to work though) so I need to be careful.
Bad News
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/10/2009 11:18PM - in reply to over before i start Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Worst case scenario could be a fractured navicular bone. I fractured mine and literally described it the exact same way as you did. I really would advise making an appt with a doctor that will get you a CT scan or an MRI right away. Make your call sound urgent and get this appt ASAP. If possible, do not run until the appt. Trust me, you don't want to mess around with this type of fracture. It is incredibly slow healing due to lack of blood flow to the area.

Just to put some credibility to this story, I'll give you my history. Similar symptoms as you, never really killed but definitely felt funny. I went to the doctor in Sept. Was in a boot until November. Went to a new doctor when the 1st doc told me I hadn't healed at all since Sept. From Nov until Jan I was in a cast from the knee down using a bone stimulator. First month out of the cast I was in a boot. Then trying to get back to walking pain free followed by some PT brought me to April (late) when i could try to run again. I felt alright but probably should have waited longer. That summer I went back to the doc, found out my fracture only partially healed. The next October (so past the 1 year mark at htis point) I had surgery. I couldn't run until June, couldn't walk without a heavy limp for about a year. It took me a full year to be able to feel normal running (stride wise). I have two screws in my foot and have foot pain every day, every run. A real runner is tough enough to know when to back off something and see a doctor rather than letting your obsessive side kick in. Sorry if this scares you, but I hope you see someone and that my story does not become your own!
over before i start
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/10/2009 11:57PM - in reply to Bad News Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow. I am worried about something like that. I will have to wait a while before I can see a doctor though. I feel it when I am walking barefoot around the house occasionally and some steps and while not painful, I know something isn't right with my right foot. I wonder how they would treat this where I am going (France/Switzerland). In the mean time, I will take some time off and just lift weights or something and see if it will go away.
J.R.
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/11/2009 12:24AM - in reply to over before i start Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

over before i start wrote:

Earlier in the summer I kicked a soccer ball incorrectly and it sort of hurt my foot. I think I kicked it with the very tip of my toe and it made my ankle hurt. I wonder if it is related. I guess I will just rest.

Even if your foot was fractured, which it very likely was not or you would have felt a lot of pain and not been able to walk, it would be healed by now. You could still be getting minor aches and pains from it though. Using the m.i.c.e. method will get rid of them. Even if you had a fracture, the ice water would heal it quite rapidily.

I was doing standing rollouts with an ab wheel a few years ago. The wheel slipped on the vinyl, and my elbow cracked hard on the floor. It wasn't fractured but was very painful for awhile. I forgot about it for a few years, then was doing an exercise where it kept bothering me. I soaked it in a deep bowl of ice water for a few days before doing the exercise. The pain was gone completely within a few days and never returned.

Ice water is very healing and strengthening.
Bad News
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/11/2009 10:42AM - in reply to J.R. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pain is a very individual experience. I've had quite a few broken (complete) and fractured bones because of running. I never was physically unable to run with them and often made the mistake of talking myself out of normal reason. I do not think it is good to follow the advice of people that suggest any fracture would hurt so bad you could not stand it as that certainly has never been my experience.
John Smallberries
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/11/2009 10:52AM - in reply to John SmaIIberries Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

John SmaIIberries wrote:

Loosen your laces a bit and see if that helps. I am totally serious, try this for a couple days. You may see results.

Hope you get healthy

Not me. Impostor is at it again. I have a new identity, but won't let the impostor off easy for being so lame as to steal a good id.

Ice water is the way to go. Put your foot in it as long as you can (10 min is enough).
Good News
RE: Pain or bruised feeling on the top of my foot. Stress fracture? 9/11/2009 11:03AM - in reply to Bad News Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad News wrote:

I do not think

If you can run and don't have any pain then stop whining.