running on grass
Quadratus Lumborum tightness - does this make sense? 8/12/2009 5:54PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a very tight quadratus lumborum on my right side. I'm not sure if this tightness casued my inital problems but does this progression make sense?

My injury started as lower back pain and sciatica.

I now have weakened gluetes on my right side and my right hip is rotated anteriorly.

I feel tight from my uppper hamstring up into my right shoulder; constantly tight.

Could have a tight QL be the reason for all my pain or do you thinking an imbalance in my hips caused me to have a tight QL?

Thoughts? Experiences?
Hill of Beans
RE: Quadratus Lumborum tightness - does this make sense? 8/12/2009 5:59PM - in reply to running on grass Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Speak English!
jeff.doc
RE: Quadratus Lumborum tightness - does this make sense? 8/12/2009 10:10PM - in reply to running on grass Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
QL tends to refer to the gluts, not more inferiorly.

By 'right hip', do you mean the innominate?

It is likely multi-factoral.

QL tightness responds well to 'dry needling', manipulation and spray and stretch.

Read about correction for 'lower crossed syndrome.'
massage guy
RE: Quadratus Lumborum tightness - does this make sense? 8/12/2009 10:46PM - in reply to running on grass Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the QL and Glute Med directly oppose each other in a way. You could have an underlying discogenic issue fyi. Strong glutes to stabilize the SI Jt. mean the QL can do its job and only its job.

Deep intrinsic muscles like the Transverse ABs (core) and mulitifdi need to be strong as well. If there is a pelvic tilt (anteriorly) then you need to look at the hip flexors, namely the Iliopsoas as it is the direct antagonist (opposite) on the Lumbar spine.

Xray to see if there is misalignment (can maybe show disc space irregularity) and a few adjustments with soft tissue work from someone focusing on postural alignment.

In regards to that...a QL tightness can also come from

Same side weak Glute Med/MIN/TFL
Same side tight Adductor
Opposite side tight Glute med/min/TFL

Hope that helps. Good luck. Gait analysis may also be necessary to see if for some reason you are hiking your hip when running instead of pulling the leg through...ie. Maybe a leg length discrepancy although it is uncommon that the bones are off, more muscular tightness.