Annoyed as hell
Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 2:33PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I brought in my car to get my car fixed (something was rattling). They said it was a ball/joint that was loose and rattling and needed replacing. I agreed.

They just called informing me that the parts were replaced - however, the car still rattles.

I told them I don't want to do anything more than fix the rattle because I don't want to sink any more $$$ than I have to.

I told them I was upset that I had to pay for something I didn't ask for and my initial problem wasn't fixed...

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much I can do. I should have said, "ok, I will pay you x amount only if you can guarentee the rattle will be fixed" Instead, I blindly trusted that they properly diagnosed the cause of the rattle and agreed to have the part replaced...

Any advice?
peepituder4
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 2:48PM - in reply to Annoyed as hell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Find a new repair shop...you're screwed on this one.
Not a Reporter
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 2:50PM - in reply to Annoyed as hell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Small business capitalism at its best!
legaleagle
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 4:01PM - in reply to Not a Reporter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tell them that you bargained for them to get rid of the rattle, and they failed to do so. Therefore, you did not receive the benefit of the bargain. Tell them they can (1) refund your money, (2) fix the rattle at no additional cost, or (3) explain to the BBB, the small claims court judge, and the district attorney how they did not intentionally defraud you in replacing a part that didn't need replacing, when you have another mechanic that will testify that a skilled mechanic would have known exactly which part needed replacing. Be ready to strike a deal to get back the money you paid for the labor, but not the part.

Good Luck!
Mr Mountain
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 8:45PM - in reply to legaleagle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A "rattle"? Are you serious? I will tell you how to get rid of it for FREE!!!

First, though, rattles are sometimes very very hard to find. Sometimes repair shops are only able to guess at what might be the cause. There are no computers you can hook a car up to that will tell where the rattle is. Only by years of experience can a mechanic become proficient at identifying where a "rattle" is coming from and know how to perform the appropriate and neccessary repair.

Now that you know this, with my years and years of experience, I will tell you how to get rid of the "rattle" without even seeing your car and you can do it for FREE.

JUST TURN UP YOUR RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Special Tool
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 10:21PM - in reply to Mr Mountain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Automotive Repair Shop Owner
RE: Auto repair shop didn't fix my problem... 7/31/2009 10:39PM - in reply to Special Tool Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Special Tool wrote:

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/search.jsp?search=all&query=wireless+chassis+ear

Good call on the chassis ears! I was going to say find out/ask if the shop owns a set. My shop has the Snap-On version of this tool. They work very well! If something isn't evident on the first inspection, we break these bad boys out. They help us out 99% of the time. They were a very worthwhile investment for us and our shop! Good Luck!