MARATHONING
CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 2:26PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I AM RUNNING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR, ANY INFO. IS APPRECIATED.
Go Out Slow
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 2:42PM - in reply to MARATHONING Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go out slow. Although the race has a net elevation loss, the hills for the first 12 or so miles are deceiving. Also, the weather can be terrible with rain and wind.
MARATHONING
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 2:48PM - in reply to Go Out Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks. I like rain but not wind, I have heard that you can see all types of weather. How is the crowd support is it a lonely marathon at spots on the course?
Go Out Slow
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 4:06PM - in reply to MARATHONING Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
CIM can tend to be lonely in certain areas. I would not consider CIM a destination type marathon. It is also not a "rock & roll" type marathon as it does not have large crowds or bands every so often. However, it is a fast course (it's my PR course) if you hit it on a good weather year and you run it smart.
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 4:24PM - in reply to Go Out Slow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
can it be hot? also are there many big up and downhills, or more rolling?
CoachB
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 4:32PM - in reply to 821 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a big hill at about 10.5 miles. 300-400m, fairly steep (for a marathon). The course is mostly rolling however
cornpone
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 4:46PM - in reply to CoachB Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1st of all its the CIM (California international marathon), run from Folsom to Sacramento. Go to the website and you will see that the average year has good weather. The net elevation loss sounds appealing but it is very rolling in the 1st 1/2 with a downhill start, dont go out too fast. Rated quite highly as a BQ course.
BUTTER FACE
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/29/2009 11:54PM - in reply to cornpone Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
mplatt
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/30/2009 7:48AM - in reply to CoachB Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

CoachB wrote:

There is a big hill at about 10.5 miles. 300-400m, fairly steep (for a marathon). The course is mostly rolling however

There is not a 300 meter hill anywhere on this course. There is not a 50 meter hill anywhere on the course. There is a spot around 8-9 miles that is climbs maybe 25-40 FEET.
G Towne
RE: CIM SACRAMENTO MARATHON: THREAD 7/30/2009 8:40AM - in reply to MARATHONING Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've run CIM 8 times with quite a few of those in the low 2:30's range. I agree with most of what's been written above. It is a rolling course for the first half, and then it flattens out pretty nicely except for the dip in the 22nd mile (guessing here) just after you've crossed the river. I think the big factor with CIM is the weather. If you can enjoy a non stormy day, you will have a course that can run quite fast. If it's stormy, it's a very difficult layout. The course (point to point) runs mostly Southwest from Folsom to Sacramento and when storms whip through the valley up here, the winds always come from the South. This means that you have to deal with headwinds And rain during bad years. Of course the weather seems to be bad every 4-5 years or so from my experience. Unfortunately 3-4 of my 8 attempts were on really bad storm days.
As with most marathons even splits would be recommended. I believe in my PR year at CIM i ran the two 1/2's within 15 seconds of one another.
The crowds are fairly slim, but the volunteers at the water stations are always great. Depending on the pace that you're running it can be lonely out there as well, with open spaces between runners and packs, especially for those running between 2:15-2:40ish.
With all of this said, i enjoyed my years running CIM and did run my lifetime goal on this course.
Good luck!