John Westover
What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:06AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We know that above 70 is oppressive, but is there an optimal level as well?
Paul of the Eagles
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:09AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good question -- was wondering the same thing myself.
TobyJo
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:10AM - in reply to Paul of the Eagles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My guess would be in the 40's...
peepituder4
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:13AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd say about 40-45...with the temperature 5 degrees (F) warmer than the d.p.
Take the Skinheads Trolling
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:23AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's a rule to use: if temperature + humidity > 150, the run will not be pleasant.
NIke Guy
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:23AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just DEW it!
ktodd
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:25AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Found this on a website. Sounded good.

Dewpoint <55*F: Go for it!
Dewpoint in the 60sitll be tough for racing, training runs OK
Dewpoint in the low 70shard training will be tough
Dewpoint in the upper 70s.anything other than a recovery run will be a struggle
Dewpoint in the 80seven a recovery run is tough
John Smallberries
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:36AM - in reply to ktodd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have never seen a dewpoint much above 80. I can't imagine where you would see that.

This morning it was 77. I did a 7 mi tempo run that ended up being about 20-30 sec per mi slower than the same effort level in good weather. You can train and race in high humidity/dew point, you just have to adjust your times. 79 is the worst I have ever had.

For me, anything below 65 is fine. Certainly, under 50 feels much better than over.
cah87
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:50AM - in reply to John Smallberries Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've ran in 81 dp, it was rough. I cut the run in half and ran over a minute slower per mile. I can run with anything under 65 under 60 feels perfect to me.
f*** humidity
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 11:54AM - in reply to John Westover Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All I know is my run this morning with a 74 degree dew point sucked. Not to hijack the OP's thread, but is it normal for this kind of dew point to just kill you; my 6.5 mile run today which should have been real easy felt difficult at a slower pace.
peepituder4
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 12:57PM - in reply to John Smallberries Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Corn fields of Iowa are a good place to see high dewpoints (can push the upper 80s in extreme situations). Think the Persian Gulf coast is another place...when the water temp is low 90s, the air above it can be SOUPY.
smd
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 1:15PM - in reply to peepituder4 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Current dew point in Doha, Qatar is 73, in Portland, Maine 71. Current dew point in Baghdad is 28 and in Riyadh is 39. I'm just saying...
yeah..
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 1:28PM - in reply to peepituder4 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Upper 80s really only happen in the Persian Gulf, that's the only place in the world. It does hit low 80's on the Eastern US coast, as well as in parts of the Midwest like you mentioned. (And anywhere in the ocean where sea surface temps are well in the 80's).

I think there can't be an optimal dew point. The lower it is, the more efficiently sweat cools you (because it evaporates faster). This would also depend on the temperature. At 65 degrees, a dew point of 15 would be an amazingly refreshing day...probably bright blue sky, a breeze, basically perfect running conditions. At 110 degrees, it'll be uncomfortable even with a ridiculously low TD like that. So basically the lower the dew point the more comfortable it feels, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily comfortable.
oldxcdude
RE: What is the optimal dew point for running? 7/29/2009 2:40PM - in reply to yeah.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's the question which we all feel like asking: if you are scheduled to do an easy or recovery run and the dew point is in the 70s -- is it even worth it to do the run or will it end up being like a workout in terms of the toll on the body (and thus ruining a subsequent real workout)?