goethe
Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 1:41PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So, I eat chicken liver around once or twice a week. I know it has a ton of nutrients but i have heard it is bad for ones health because of possible toxins and stuff. Do the benefits of eating liver out weigh the risks or are the risks overrated?
Guppy
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 1:46PM - in reply to goethe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not certain what all nutrients it's high in, but I know liver is VERY high in vitamin A. Eating liver isn't dangerous; eating too much liver is. This is because vitamin A is fat soluable and consuming too much is toxic. I've read one should eat liver no more frequently than once a week... Just do some googling.
return to index
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 1:47PM - in reply to goethe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope not because calf liver is my top 3 favorite meal.
My Mom always told me it was good for me--I believed her.
goethe
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 1:54PM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
huge source of heme iron-b12-b6 all the bs-zinc and alot of other stuff

but doesnt the liver detoxify stuff making it full of toxins?
howlong
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 1:57PM - in reply to goethe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i have mine with some nice chianti....
SMJO
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 4:19PM - in reply to howlong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The liver must also have the capability of detoxifying itself. If it didn't we'd all have cirrhosis I would think.
Cd.
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 4:42PM - in reply to goethe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cadmium is probably the big worry but it builds up in your liver and wont affect you until it gets too much later in life.
Cd.
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/14/2009 5:10PM - in reply to Cd. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Actually it accumulates in your kidneys and can cause kidney failure but there is a lot in liver too.
frmrcoach
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/16/2009 8:17PM - in reply to Cd. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Huge amounts of cholesterol in organ meats!

hee...hee...I said organ meat...
Lorenzo the Magnificent
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/16/2009 8:26PM - in reply to goethe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try to find some stuff on Australian explorer Douglas Mawson and his ill-fated mapping trip in Antarctica. His story is fascinating. He ate dog liver, and the results were disastrous.
Canni Ball
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/16/2009 9:01PM - in reply to Lorenzo the Magnificent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Only if it is your own.
Runningart2004
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/16/2009 9:09PM - in reply to Canni Ball Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The liver is basically a waste treatment plant....lots of toxins.

Alan
Phil.
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/18/2009 11:46AM - in reply to Lorenzo the Magnificent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Lorenzo the Magnificent wrote:

Try to find some stuff on Australian explorer Douglas Mawson and his ill-fated mapping trip in Antarctica. His story is fascinating. He ate dog liver, and the results were disastrous.

Livers of predators are generally not safe, herbivores are fine as long as not eaten to great excess. Polar bear liver is known to be poisonous to humans in relatively small quantities (~10 grams), Eskimo would bury the livers when on a Polar bear hunt to stop their dogs from eating it.
yuck
RE: Is eating liver bad for you? 7/18/2009 2:46PM - in reply to Runningart2004 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Runningart2004 wrote:

The liver is basically a waste treatment plant....lots of toxins.

Alan

True. However the toxins are stored in the fatty part of the liver. You will eat some of the toxins if you eat liver, and they are not good for you.

It is also true that liver has a ton of nutrients good for athletes. If you want to consume liver for the nutrients then I suggest you buy dessicated, defatted liver pills from Argentina. It is not that hard to find, most nutritional stores carry it. Argentina does not use hormones, antibiotics etc in their cattle so that junk does not end up in the liver.