fangirl obsession
How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 12:29PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a certain female runner I am pretty much obsessed with (I am female myself and I greatly admire this runner)... but I've pretty much realized my obsession but don't know how to stop it. Basically, in the past I would see every interview with them, look up every article with them, follow every race they would run. My friends who were non runners knew who this runner was because I would talk about them, etc. They kept telling me I was obsessed and I refused to see it, until lately I have realized that they are correct (after one of them read my essay that I wrote for a class about this runner). I am being completely truthful here. I don't know how to stop this, because what if this runner doesn't run well? I will just be crushed. I don't even know how this obsession started but it's been going on pretty much ever since I started running. What are some ways to stop? I also read pretty much every Letsrun thread about this runner and have created a lot about this runner too... I guess this is similar to the way people are obsessed with actors, etc... this just happens to be me for a runner...
xclover7777777
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 12:32PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
who is this runner? and what makes her so great to you?
what???
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 12:34PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You just get older, and stop thinking that others are so admirable. Or you get new obsessions...money, career, travels, etc.
J.R.
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 12:35PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The only way to change a habit, is to replace it with another one.

Therefore, replace your obsession with another, more positive obsession.

For example, you could become obsessed with taking good care of yourself, with doing well, with achieving, both generally and specifically. Focus on yourself, how you are personally, and how you can do personally.

It is fine to be inspired by others but I would not limit this to just one person. Then apply that inspiration to yourself. And it doesn't need to be the same way. You can take inspiration from one thing, and apply it to something entirely different.
fghrunner
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:05PM - in reply to J.R. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i bet its jenny barringer shes easy to get obsessed with
arkle
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:15PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't know how to cure it, but I have to admit I'm fascinated by it. Is there a physical attraction? If not, then I really can't relate too much to having that kind of 'interest' in someone I don't know.
fangirl obsession
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:28PM - in reply to xclover7777777 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't want to say the runner's name, but I believe this was/might have been the first "good" runner I heard about when I started running (might have been due to my location). I really don't know why this runner is so great to me... I mean, she is a great person all around... humble, modest, confident, articulate, etc. There are some other runners that share this trait; I just don't know why I'm such a fan of this one. When this runner had a "breakout" race (something that got a lot of attention), as I watched the race I had tears in my eyes (I have no idea why, it was spontaneous and they just came upon me) and I was so happy. Whenever I watch this runner's interviews, I smile automatically and whenever there is a new interview with her I always watch it (no matter what I'm doing, whether it's studying for another test, etc.).

I have met this runner before and gotten a picture taken with her... that seriously made my day. Whenever this runner has a good race, that also makes my day... one time I went to a party with friends late because this runner was about to run her race.

I don't think the attraction is physical, I am certainly not attracted "in that way" to this runner.. I really don't know why it is THIS runner I am obsessed with out of so many. I am pretty obsessed with running too/trying to get a run in... these are the two things I am probably most obsessed with in my life.

I just don't know how to stop...
Stout
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:29PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First off, we need pictures of yourself and this female runner.
i see it...
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:35PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Jenny B?

That's a good question, how DO you cure an obsession with a person...
PBJ Bagel
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:39PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are definitely over analyzing the situation. Obviously the underlying reason behind this obsession is wanting to be her or be like her. You are merely idolizing someone. No big deal. It happens all the time.
fangirl obsession
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:42PM - in reply to xclover7777777 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

xclover7777777 wrote:

who is this runner? and what makes her so great to you?

It's Galen Rupp. He's just so dreamy.
fangirl obsession
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:45PM - in reply to PBJ Bagel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I didn't make the post above and registered my username now so this won't happen.

I think you are right with the underlying reason. I just feel like maybe idolizing someone like this isn't good... looking back at this, I have realized how much stuff I have put off to watch an interview/race/read an article etc. about this runner (or go for a run). I just feel like I need to tone this down a bit...
me too...
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 1:48PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I feel you, I was the same with Mary Decker... I even went to Oregon because she went there...
PBJ Bagel
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 2:05PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I cant even begin to tell you how many obsessions I have had for other runners. Even to the point where I would have dreams about them. Its ridiculous.
let me help you wif dis
RE: How do you cure an obsession? 7/11/2009 2:27PM - in reply to fangirl obsession Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
get married to her, realize she's a nasty witch, obsession over.