hs captain
team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 8:51AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm currently a senior captain of my tiny cross country team. I want the team to be very close and thought this would be the best place to get ideas for team bonding things. All ideas are welcome, but looking for something unique. Share what your team did in the past or currently does, THANKS!
Sweep
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 9:00AM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Our bonding activities involve a broomstick handle.
T Clubber
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 9:22AM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I run for a college club team, and we always go camping after the first meet of the year.
real ideas
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 10:41AM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
-Have the team over to your place for spaghetti dinner and watch a running movie like "The Long Green Line."
-Play ultimate frisbeee.
-Play frisbee golf
-Go play putt-putt golf.
-Go to the driving range, even if you all stink at golf it is still fun.
-Camping trip
-Sand Volleyball
-Pool party at one of your houses
-Team BBQ
-Go on runs together, maybe find a cool trail that is kind of far away and drive there together
-Float Trip
-Fishing Trip
-Go to a water park together
-Play multi-player video games together
yadot
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 10:47AM - in reply to real ideas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Gey!
been there too
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 12:54PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey, I was senior captain of my hs track team this spring. Here are some things my team (girls team) has done this year and in the past. (not to be a creeper but i clicked your username and from your email i'm guessing you're a girl? lol just because a lot of these wouldn't work so well for guys, so if you are a guy you'll probably have to ignore most of these.)

-lots of pasta parties. play music
-buy plain t-shirts and either tie-dye them or paint them with fabric paints to make team shirts. you can put your nicknames, etc. on them and wear them at meets.
-"color wars" divide the team up into small groups and assign each a color. Then on a specific day, everyone has to come to practice wearing only that color. The more outrageous the costumes the better. Prize to the group with the best outfits. We have so many great facebook pictures from that day lol.
-decorate some hair ties with ribbons in your school colors, you can write "XC 09" "[team name]" etc. on the ribbons in fabric paint. Then you can wear them at meets.
-French braid each other's hair the night before a meet
-Before a big meet, everyone draws a teammate's name from a hat. You write a letter to that person encouraging them, which they open the next day on the bus ride to the meet. Works best with small teams so you actually know the person you're writing to

...yeah i'm sure a lot of letsrun posters will think these are really dumb and make fun of them, but they worked great on my hs girls team and they were a lot of fun. Good luck! :)
WhiteManSpeakWithForkedTongue
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 1:22PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe some group runs like Indian running...

http://thehighschoolrunner.com/2007/08/indian-runs.html
meteor_runner
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 1:37PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Organize group runs over the summer. Even just a few of these will be more substantial than all the sparkles in the world.
Suffer well
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 1:56PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Shared suffering: Train really, really hard together frequently. NO BS required.
Play Ookie cookie
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 3:46PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
See name <
Another Team Captain
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 4:37PM - in reply to hs captain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Super Glue - just be cautious where you apply it. Best way to get your team to stick together.
D1 Athletics
RE: team bonding ideas!!! help!! 7/8/2009 4:46PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

campana wrote:

Shower together

Showing together brings my team together. However we only do it after practice, and we are college men, so we don't have the insecurities women have on the aggregate. Plus showering only takes 5 minutes!

Training hard together is the best way to grow as a team. When someone is hurting and a teammate encourages them to finish the workout, something special is created.

The girls on my team do neither of these two things. They have NO chemistry, coincidence?