nj runner
1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 6:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
did salazar run? i know the team finished 2nd with porter and eyestone 4-6, virgin 17th, easker top 30, drenth 40ish, and stickley 65ish. who else ran? idstrom? dillion? malmo?

i still remember watching it at the meadowlands as a soph in hs. so many portugal fans yelling "lopes, lopes"
Bif Bradley
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 6:39PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I doubt Salazar ran this. The Olympic Marathon Trials would have been coming up soon. However knowing his background he did a crazy racing schedule.

I think this might have been the year he ran Continental Homes 10k on Febuary or March and ran pretty bad, like 30th place. This was on t.v. as well. Apartheid protestors were there against Zola Budd who was South African but switched citizenship to Great Britain. Also Salazar was interviewed as saying he had been taking sleeping pills.
Avocados Number
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 7:07PM - in reply to Bif Bradley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm pretty sure that Salazar didn't run World Cross that year.

I do believe that he ran the Continental Homes 10k that year. Salazar definitely seemed mortal, although I don't recall that he faded as far back as 30th. As I recall (and this really stretches my memory), Zach Barie won, outkicking Rob DeCastella. (Imagine any major television network covering a 10k road race these days. It was a different world.)
mcgato
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 7:29PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

nj runner wrote:
idstrom?

Yes
here you go
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 7:42PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_IAAF_World_Cross_Country_Championships#Individual

1984 IAAF World Cross Country Championships
From Wikipedia

The 12th IAAF World Cross Country Championships were held on March 25, 1984 in the Meadowlands Sports Complex (East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States). There were a total number of 442 participating athletes from 40 countries.

Results

Long race men

Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Carlos Lopes (POR) 33:25 min
Silver Tim Hutchings (ENG) 33:30 min
Bronze Steve Jones (WAL) 33:32 min

Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia
Bekele Debele (8th)
Adugna Lema (9th)
Mohamed Kedir (16th)
Dereje Nedi (24th)
Eshetu Tura (31st)
Wodajo Bulti (46th) 134 pts

Silver United States
Pat Porter (4th)
Ed Eyestone (6th)
Craig Virgin (17th)
John Easker (28th)
Jeff Drenth (41st)
Mark Stickley (65th) 161 pts

Bronze Portugal
Carlos Lopes (1st)
Fernando Mamede (23rd)
Antonio Leito (25th)
Joo Campos (26th)
Ezequiel Canario (64th)
Joaquim Pinheiro (84th) 223 pts

Junior Race Men

Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Pere Casacuberta (ESP) 21:32 min
Silver Doju Tessema (ETH) 21:34 min
Bronze John Castellano (CAN) 21:37 min

Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold Ethiopia 21 pts
Silver Spain 34 pts
Bronze England 68 pts

Long Race Women

Individual
Medal Athlete Time
Gold Maricica Puica (ROU) 15:56 min
Silver Galina Zakharova (URS) 15:58 min
Bronze Grete Waitz (NOR) 15:58 min

Team
Medal Athlete Mark
Gold United States
Betty Springs (9th)
Cathy Branta (10th)
Sabrina Dornhoefer (16th)
Cathie Twomey (17th) 52 pts

Silver England
Jane Furniss (5th)
Christine Benning (6th)
Ruth Smeeth (15th)
Carole Bradford (39th) 65 pts

Bronze New Zealand
Dianne Rodger (14th)
Mary O'Connor (19th)
Christine Hughes (27th)
Sue Bruce (31st) 91 pts
Chuck G
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 7:53PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Salazar did run the nationals in November 1984 in Boston and came in 10th. I was there and was very surprised he didn't win. I don't think he ever ran at world class level again, unless you count the ultra years later. Betty Springs came in 2nd in her race and was crying afterwords.
mcgato
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 7:59PM - in reply to Chuck G Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Back in those days, the national XC championship was held in November, but the qualifier for world XC was in February or there abouts. I think the winner of the November race was on the team, but the rest were selected in other race. And I think nine men comprised the US team that year, though only six scored for the team.

I hope those better informed fill in the details.
Track Fan
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 10:17PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Salazar did not run world cross in 84 but he did enter run the trials a month earlier and finished 8th. He took a red eye from Eugene after being there for the birth of his 2nd child. I believe he arrived in NJ only a few hrs before the race.
Track Fan
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/15/2009 10:19PM - in reply to Avocados Number Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Salazar was 8th at Cont. Holms that year in 28:24. Mark Curp was the first american in that race in 28:19 I think.
nj runner
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/16/2009 7:11AM - in reply to Track Fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
interesting info about salazar. anybody know who the last two members were after idstrom? and why did they score 6 out of 9?
Squid
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/16/2009 1:07PM - in reply to nj runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
at the February 9884 trials it was Idstrom 7th, Salazar 8th and Troy Billings 9th. Danny Dillon was 10th and put on the team when Alberto opted out.

Idstrom ran the race of his life just to make the team. Definition of the B-lister who got lucky in '83 and '84. Porter won the trials race. Team was Porter, Eyestone, Easker, Drenth, Virgin, Stickley, Idstrom, Billings, Dillon.
malmo
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/16/2009 2:02PM - in reply to mcgato Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mcgato wrote:

Back in those days, the national XC championship was held in November, but the qualifier for world XC was in February or there abouts. I think the winner of the November race was on the team, but the rest were selected in other race. And I think nine men comprised the US team that year, though only six scored for the team.

I hope those better informed fill in the details.

I think the practice of the fall nationals winner making the team ended by 1980.
Squid
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/16/2009 4:26PM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[

I think the practice of the fall nationals winner making the team ended by 1980.[/quote]

Not sure when they dispensed with that practice, but certainly by 1983 all members of the team were selected at the Feb. trials race. Nine runners, six scored.
Bif Bradley
RE: 1984 world cross country 6/16/2009 4:28PM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm pretty sure the fall nationals winner automatically made the team throughout the 1980's. But then again Pat Porter nearly won every fall nationals but always ran the trials so I may be wrong.

He was even beaten in the trials race in 87 and 88 or 89 (John Easker and George Nicholas won those two).