olsda
Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/12/2009 5:08PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I stopped drinking sodas 3 years ago but have recently been tempted to try some of these zero calorie sodas. Specifically sprite zero. I was comparing the nutritional facts to things such as sobe life water (the zero calorie kind) and it looks basically the same. So, I was wondering are these sodas just as bad for you as regular sodas?

Also, I've started drinking alot of powerade zero and G2 because I'd rather eat more calories than drink more but I was wondering if these kinds of sports drinks have the same amount of electrolytes and effects that regular gatorade, powerade, or other sports drinks have? Any body know?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
olsda
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/12/2009 5:47PM - in reply to olsda Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
the hype is wrong
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/12/2009 7:14PM - in reply to olsda Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope those diet drinks are okay. I have been averaging over a gallon a day for the last 25 years. I went caffeine free for 3 or 4 years but have been chugging down krogers diet red pop and diet orange the last few months.

I have rarely wasted my money on energy drinks, bars, etc. A couple days I was roofing for 9 or 10 hours when it was 90 (about 120 on the roof)and couldn't keep hydrated without drinking a 32 oz gatorade but that is very rare. I usually work out about 8-10 hours a week and have never felt the need for that stuff.
BG
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/13/2009 11:18AM - in reply to the hype is wrong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
BG
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/13/2009 8:09PM - in reply to BG Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
AAAAANNDD bump...again
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/13/2009 8:36PM - in reply to BG Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The ingredient label will tell you whether the electrolytes included and their concentrations are the same as Gatorade or Powerade. As far as the "other" ingredients...well, you decide for yourself what you put into your body, but I avoid them.

As far as being "bad" for you, they still have phosphoric and carbonic acid and other things which are bad for your teeth. No sugar, obviously, so fewer problems there. However, the real problem with soda is that it's "empty" calories; that is, there is very little nutritional value in it. It's like drinking sugar water.
Joe Jackson, Stepping Out
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/13/2009 9:02PM - in reply to 777 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The simple answer is: avoid the powerade/gatorade/energy drink/soda drinks if you can; whether "sugar free" or not.

You're still taking in useless and harmful amounts of chemicals, acids, artificial sweeteners (cancer, etc.), and junk that your isn't helping your body in any way.

If you're trying to get electrolytes, get Nuun or Motortabs or any number of electrolyte specific tabs that don't have all the crap along with it.

Just because a drink has "no sugar" or "no calories" doesn't mean it's good for you. Drinking Gatorade is not exactly good for you. When you excercise your body needs sustainable nutrition and the right nutrients to function optimally. There are many better ways to get these than by buying Gatorade, Powerade, Energy Drinks, Sodas, etc.
get a clue people
RE: Zero Calorie Sodas and Sports Drinks 6/13/2009 9:13PM - in reply to olsda Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Zero calorie sports drinks are pointless. Your body needs to replenish glucose after a workout. Also, many of those zero-cal drinks (as well as diet sodas) contain poisons like sucralose and aspartame. Some of the newer ones contain erithrytol (natural sugar alcohol), which isn't harmful, but not exactly nutritious either.

Check out all natural sports drinks like Blue Sky and Liv. These contain sufficient (but not overwhelming) amounts of natural sugar. Avoid mainstream sports drinks like Powerade and Gatorade, which are loaded with high fructose corn syrup and other garbage.