not an actor
Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/7/2009 9:13PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are there any out there (who are actually good at it) that made it through the industry without formal training? I'm sure there are, but who are they?
scerker
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/7/2009 9:17PM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
pretty all of the talentless hacks in hollywood today
brajuf
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/7/2009 11:38PM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
heath ledger
question is this possible
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/7/2009 11:57PM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Natalie Portman went to Harvard
Naked Facts
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/8/2009 12:44AM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Christian Bale?
An Actor
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/8/2009 1:01AM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

not an actor wrote:

Are there any out there (who are actually good at it) that made it through the industry without formal training? I'm sure there are, but who are they?

Virtually all good actors train at some point or another, whether in private acting classes (Brando, De Niro, Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh) an MFA program (Streep, Newman, McDormand) in an undergrad program (Gary Oldman), with private coaching on set, and so on. I believe Christina Ricci is one of those who got famous prior to getting much if any training, FWIW.
they all take a class or two
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/8/2009 1:22AM - in reply to not an actor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think most actors take an acting class at some point.

Hugh Jackman got a degree in communication was planning on being a journalist but took a chance and went to theatre school for a year or something.
moc nurstel
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/9/2009 11:55AM - in reply to they all take a class or two Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think Brad Pitt worked in LA at a number of odd jobs while doing soap operas to start. He might have had some kind of lessons, though.

I think he was studying to be a journalist, also, like Hugh Jackman and Meg Ryan. That seems to be kind of a trend, but it doesn't make much sense.
BloomBalled
RE: Famous actors/actresses who didn't attend acting school... 6/9/2009 12:10PM - in reply to moc nurstel Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Val Kilmer famously hated working with Tom Cruise on "Top Gun" because Kilmer was a Juliard grad while Cruise had no formal training. Looks like Kilmer lost out in that matchup historically...