Nero
Tightness just below my calf 6/3/2009 1:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a tightness just below my calve muscle. My achilles isn't sore at all up until just below my calf. I had noticed this tightness after a race on Saturday. It hasn't stopped my running at all until yesterday. I cut my workout short and had to walk home a mile. By the end of the day though I was walking around fine.

Is this an achilles problem or another tendon or muscle? I have iced it and am not going to run today. I have been training hard for 24 weeks and am in the best shape of my life, I have my goal race on Saturday. Should I not run if it's sore or tight, how will I know if it's smart to race on saturday?
Fred & Barney
RE: Tightness just below my calf 6/3/2009 1:31PM - in reply to Nero Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Give it the ol' ice and stretch routine for the rest of the week. And gulp ibuprofin. Don't run another step until you warm up for your goal race. You won't lose anything in a week.
Nero
RE: Tightness just below my calf 6/3/2009 3:17PM - in reply to Fred & Barney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks.
When I stretch the left side of my calf is sore and also slightly tender to the touch, but when I run the pain and tightness is below my calf. Any idea what this is?
Sub 4 or Bust
RE: Tightness just below my calf 6/3/2009 3:27PM - in reply to Nero Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tibialis Posterior. I am guessing that it is your left leg. If so, you are probably leaning into the curves to hard when running fast on the track. Try moving out 1 foot or so from the inside lane line on curves, and you won't be so inclined to lean your upper body so far to the left, which puts a twisting strain on your lower left leg. To treat the symptoms, do the typical calf stretch with your left leg out in front of you while standing, and your toe raised up against a pole/tree/curb, and twist your torso to the right. The idea is to give the calf a twisting stretch, which stretches the tibialis posterior. I have dealt with this problem before. Just monitor the symptoms. And avoid the track turns for now, until your race on Saturday.
Nero
RE: Tightness just below my calf 6/3/2009 6:38PM - in reply to Nero Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the replies, it's helped alot. Last question, if not running up until Sat. won't affect my performance much, what are the benefits of just easy running and strides a few days before a race, if it's the last race you are doing? All the work has already been done, is it just to stay loose and burn off some nervous energy?